diy solar

diy solar

Equipment to dump excess current to load?

llqh

Ok, I'm a newbie.... :)

is there information on the best ways and equipment to handle excess capacity, more than the batteries can hold?

is that called a "dump load"

and what is the best equipment to transfer this load (what is it called?)

and is there a discussion on what the best loads are?

one really great use of excess load would be to generate hydrogen (separate from oxygen) and store it in a tank

or

hot water heater

or

?

what happens if there is more charging than the batteries can hold in a common / normal system?

is there information on the best ways and equipment to handle excess capacity, more than the batteries can hold?
I use the grid to dump excess capacity. If you are off grid heating water is the next best way to store energy. Most good inverters or charge controllers just do not harvest the energy if it is not needed by batteries or loads. I assume you are talking about solar capacity? Wind is more challenging.

So, if there is excess power at the panels and the batteries are full, and there is no dump load, it won't hurt the panels?

(I'm a newbie...)

Unless the manuals say something I would not worry about it. The panels can be short circuited with out harm. Where did you get the ideas you needed a dump load?

My plan is to run a water heatpump when the batteries have been charged.

I build a power switch activated when the battery reaches full capacity.
I am also using a clock timer to run the water heatpump between 10am and 3 pm.

Also I plan to use a DC current trigger to measure the PV actual current,
to avoid running the water heatpump for cloudy days.

Last edited:
I've heard that some dump excess to a hot water tank...but wasn't sure if it was necessary
As you were informed it’s not necessary

IMHO unless you are already using a heat pump water heater a simpler and popular method is to send excess to an electric resistance water heater element.

This doesn’t have to be your primary means of water heating, but can be a pre-heater plumbed ahead of the primary water heater AND in good sun zones or summer may actually be sufficient to provide all your hot water needs.

Thanks op this thread is tight up my alley... OK so these MPPTs/chargecontrollers are able to force the output of the panels down to meet whatever load?

In my case (solark12k and 12kw PV with tigo optimizer/shutdown) I havent hooked up my batteries so for now all my excess is going to the grid - what happens if im pumping 6kw to the grid and someone closes the breaker on the outside of my house? The solark can force crank down the PV just immediately like "that"? if so thats pretty amazing.

Back