diy solar

diy solar

ETC 277AH Grade B?

We'll see what I can deduce with limited skills and experience.

As an aside, I recently splashed out on Fluke 325 and I am very impressed.

Batteries are onshore - I will have to pay customs/GST though as customs considers 2 shipments to different addresses as part shipment of bulk order so I should have been told to use a different name and work address and it would've been fine maybe.

Signed paperwork, process has started, see how much extra I am charged.

Batteries are onshore - I will have to pay customs/GST though as customs considers 2 shipments to different addresses as part shipment of bulk order so I should have been told to use a different name and work address and it would've been fine maybe.

Signed paperwork, process has started, see how much extra I am charged.

You were unlucky to have to hit the GST/customs threshold with separate shipments, unless the invoice/shipping manifest itself tallied up to >AUD$1000 including postage.

Customs duty is 5%, GST is added to the whole order (cost of goods + shipping + customs duty).

Then there is the agent fees, if you used something like Fedex/UPS they'll handle the agent paperwork for under $150

Agent fees are half that through the place that contacted me - Top Logistics (never heard of them).

I'm expecting a few hundred extra in fees, I'm fortunate enough that it's not an issue but who wants to pay more if they don't have to :)

Oh well, better get a BMS on the way.

Fees were a bit over $330, the bastards lol, treated as 1 shipment for total value but charged twice for handling/logistics because it's actually 2. Tried to cheat the system, got shafted instead lol Oh well, live and learn.

Ordered the 150A JK Smart BMS with 2A Active Balancer, was a bit under $270 delivered. was put off by the inconsistency of the Daly. The Heltec/JK seem to be very stable software/BMS wise.

Start to think about a battery box I guess.

Fees were a bit over $330, the bastards lol, treated as 1 shipment for total value but charged twice for handling/logistics because it's actually 2. Tried to cheat the system, got shafted instead lol Oh well, live and learn.

Ordered the 150A JK Smart BMS with 2A Active Balancer, was a bit under $270 delivered. was put off by the inconsistency of the Daly. The Heltec/JK seem to be very stable software/BMS wise.

Start to think about a battery box I guess.

$330 for the agent fees ?

Or in total [Customs duties + GST + Agent fees] = $330 ?

Because [$2103 AUD + 5%] + 10% = $326

Last edited:
The lot, customs, GST, agent fees.

$330 total for both shipments.

In that case the agent fees (can be DHL/Fedex etc) must have been negligible. The customs/duties are calculated on the Forex rate at arrival, the exchange rate is probably better than when you ordered.

Not sure about Forex rate, standard USD to AUD is worse now.

Was 77.x now 76.x

*Shrug*

Paid, move on with life :)

BMS is here, batteries have cleared customs and are apparently in transit but Direct Freight does not show anything against the Con Note yet.

Attachments

• 146698371_417932919276727_1158851211593629842_n.jpg
    146698371_417932919276727_1158851211593629842_n.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 12
Just looking, there's no mounting tabs on the exterior, only 4 small threaded holes on the rear surface, so I'll make some small tabs and screw those to the back to give me surface mounting tabs from the front.

3 Boxes turned up today, 1 more to come at this address (work) then the 4 for home.

In the middle of a shed project so not sure when I will play with these yet.

4 were at home, on the ground near my gate...

1 more to go.

Very quick inspection, battery looks a little cheap with the quick nasty wrapping. They are well packaged though.

2 sets of bus bars (32 in total) and a quick test showed 3.2v but I only tested 1.

Attachments

• 20210211_155436.jpg
    20210211_155436.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210211_155443.jpg
    20210211_155443.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210211_155534.jpg
    20210211_155534.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210211_160141.jpg
    20210211_160141.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 34
What the heck are these puny screws and threads?

I assumed we'd see M6 thread at least, these look like M4?

I was going to run studs but Is it even safe to push 100amp plus through an M4 stud?

Photo comparison is next to what I'm pretty sure is an M6 bolt.

EDIT: I've just realised I've completely over looked that the terminal surface area on to the bus bar is more critical than the stud size, but I still wish they had at least M6 stud size.

Attachments

• received_3829876907102185.jpeg
    received_3829876907102185.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 11
  • received_242846180750589.jpeg
    received_242846180750589.jpeg
    19.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
What the heck are these puny screws and threads?

I assumed we'd see M6 thread at least, these look like M4?

I was going to run studs but Is it even safe to push 100amp plus through an M4 stud?

Photo comparison is next to what I'm pretty sure is an M6 bolt.

EDIT: I've just realised I've completely over looked that the terminal surface area on to the bus bar is more critical than the stud size, but I still wish they had at least M6 stud size.
Do the screws fit in the batteries? If yes, it will be no problem for the current, surface contact will only be bigger. But maybe it is a good idea to run studs since you use the whole thread in the battery that way. Use a torque wrench in order to avoid damaging the thread.

May I ask what you paid for the cells? And separate what you paid for shipping?

Hence my edit.That's the plan, re studs, and I did edit the post mentioning surface area after realising.

I answered the price question earlier in the thread, and really it doesn't mean much until we know if they perform or not.

Toll has opened a freight enquiry as they can see only 3 boxes were delivered for one shipment. A mate of mine is missing 4 boxes also and I don't know if that's a coincidence or if someone at Toll/Direct Freight is building themselves a pack 0_0 That said, when I sent the ECU from my car via Toll to QLD for remapping, Toll also lost that for 5 days, I wasn't stressed at all...

The 14 cells I have are currently charging/top balancing in parallel with my little DC power supply. After only seeing 5amps out of it at 3.6v I ran some of my own heavier gauge wiring from the supply to the pack and now I'm seeing a full 10.2 or so amps. If the pack manages to build a bit of a voltage differential to the 2 other cells before they arrive(or more are sent) I'll bring those up to the pack voltage separately before putting them all in parallel together to finish off the top balance as a full pack.

Initially I was going to put them all in series in the cabinet and let the inverter give them the bulk of the charge (with BMS connected) up to say 3.5v per cell which I may still do if the other box turns up very quickly.

What are people doing for clamping? I was just looking at right angle steel along the edges with all thread connecting each end, nothing special.

Cells have been top balancing in parallel for a week now, starting to see the voltage on the supply and pack rising, but we are still in CC mode, I expect it to switch to CV mode very shortly and begin the wind down in current. I am using your basic Ali Nice Power 30v 10a supply and I can say the leads supplied are too thin to push 10a at low voltages, I had to add some heavier gauge leads before I'd see over 5-6a at these low voltages.

I could have put up to 8 in series and hit them with say 28v+ and 10a to speed it up (watching cell voltages closely etc) but there's been no rush as I've got a ton of other projects on currently so limited time to watch it. Parallel is much safer.

Picked up some more wire and lugs also. Hoping to see some initial testing in a week or 2 from now.

Reactions: Dzl
Back