diy solar

diy solar

European Inverter for US HVAC/ 240v loads

TKB4

I have HVAC 240 volt unit . I am thinking about providing its power with a European MPP MG 5048 inverter that I have been using as a battery charger for panels located farther away. ( I am also using MPP LV 5048 for rest of home right no). The inverter has a 240v 60 hz setting available. I have been told in past that this will provide power for balance 240v loads like this (there is currently NO NEUTRAL wire connected to the HVAC just line 1 line 2 and ground).
Will anyone confirm that this will work? Only difference will be split phase 240v vs non-split phase 240v.

Assuming it will work. I assume the wiring would be the Inverter Neutral output to one line say Line1 and the Inverter line out to Line2 and ground to ground. Is this correct?
Now for perhaps more difficult question: Is there a way to connect US grid backup to the Inverter input without using autotransformer etc.?

Will anyone confirm that this will work?
I don't see why it wouldn't. (Assuming the inverter has the surge capability to start an AC system)
Assuming it will work. I assume the wiring would be the Inverter Neutral output to one line say Line1 and the Inverter line out to Line2 and ground to ground. Is this correct?
Correct.
Now for perhaps more difficult question: Is there a way to connect US grid backup to the Inverter input without using autotransformer etc.?
Probably. (I would need to study the inverter to be sure).
As long as the inverter will take 240V 60hz as an input *and* the inverter does not try to do any type of N-G bonding, it should work by hooking the two Grid Hot wires to the inverter AC input.

The EU inverter probably does not do N-G bonding, but if it does you would either pop the breaker on the grid circuit or lots of magic smoke will come out of the system.

Back