diy solar

diy solar

EV conversion setup questions

vdubnut

I have an old vw beetle that was converted to electric by some college students a while back. they threw 6 deep cycle 12v lead acid batteries in a rack where the back seat used to be. It's a horrible setup but they were on a budget and lithium was probably sky high price wise. I want to convert to Lifepo4 and have ordered a set of 4 280 ah batteries from AliExpress - littokala. this set should be here in march i think. I just ordered the 4 to start playing around and see how things work, have yet to choose a bms, and i dont yet know how i'll charge them. I do have a 10A adjustable power supply i'll use for testing. Anyway, if all goes well I'll be buying 24 more of these to connect in series to get to the equivalent of the 6 12 v lead acid ones im replacing. "72V" system. I have seen on Ali express a 500 amp 24 S BMS. I am wondering if this would be the way to go or if I should buy 6 smaller 4S BMS's. Anyone ever try the 500 amp Daly? Also, any concerns pulling 4/500 amps (for brief periods) out of a series of 24 of these? Any suggestions on how i should charge them? Eventually...and maybe the way i'll go to start is to also build the solar array to charge it but i havent gotten that far yet. thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Since your "system" isn't always-on like an off-grid power system, a BMS that utilizes high current relays for cut-off is probably way more viable.

There are many high count BMS that can function in this manner, but you're not looking at the cheap Daly systems.

Something like this:

Back