diy solar

diy solar

EVE 280 Ah from Shenzen Basen are not "brand new" as advertised

TdKo

Hello everyone, I would like to inform you about my experiences with Shenzen Basen "Emely".

On January 5th, 2021 I ordered 4 Cells "EVE 280 Ah brand new cells". I was glad that they arrived yesterday, February 19th, 2021.
Brand New.png
After unpacking the big disappointment came; The poles had scratches, the housing had dents, when tilted they make a gurgling noise.

20210219_143834.jpg20210219_143741.jpg

When I decoded the QR codes, it turned out that the cells were manufactured in different production facilities in 2018 and 2019. It is also not the type B71, but B66.
decode.png

When confronted with these findings, Shenzen Basen only answers the counter question: "Does the battery work properly? Are the inteernal resistance voltages and capacities tested"

I will keep you updated on how this goes on now. Friendly greetings from Germany

Attachments

• 20210219_144139.jpg
    20210219_144139.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 98
After unpacking the big disappointment came; The poles had scratches, the housing had dents, when tilted they make a gurgling noise.
The poles do not look good and the dents are unacceptable. However as far as I know the gurgling noise is normal. All of my EVE 8 cells have that noise and it's been reported by many other members.
When I decoded the QR codes, it turned out that the cells were manufactured in different production facilities in 2018 and 2019. It is also not the type B71, but B66.
The majority of us have received cells with the code B66. The date code is a mystery and EVE has stated they are the only ones who can decipher it. Having said that all of my cells were manufactured in 2018 if that's what the code means.

Since my cells came looking good, I was more concerned about the total capacity. However one of my cells has a very small patch on it like the one shown in your photo. My cells came from Basen but that was back in October.

Sorry you had a bad experience and dented cells are unacceptable. I would ask for replacements or a full refund. No one can say with certainty they are safe to use.

If thats the only dent then it barely qualifies as cosmetic and there's no operational reason not to use it.

The terminals are clean enough to see they're unused, there may be minor marks from the initial forming charge and some handling but again there's no operational reason not to use them. It a appears something like another cell was placed on top of the terminals. The terminal aluminum is so soft you can just about dent it if you breathe on it.

They're not pristine but they look pretty decent to me.

The real test is to do a correctly done top balance then a discharge test to verify they all have the same capacity within 1%. If the cells fail that then you have a legit complaint and should begin Alibaba Trade Assurance resolution.

If thats the only dent then it barely qualifies as cosmetic and there's no operational reason not to use it.
I would not be happy at all if I received a dented cell. The dent shown in the photo is a slight dent but the OP said dent's. The bigger question is why are so many receiving dented cells lately? If people don't push back on the suppliers then suppliers will keep sending dented cells, and the same suppliers are advertising them as grade a. Maybe this cell was damaged in shipping but not all of them have been.

The terminals are clean enough to see they're unused, there may be minor marks from the initial forming charge and some handling but again there's no operational reason not to use them. It a appears something like another cell was placed on top of the terminals.
The terminals can be cleaned up for sure. Maybe that is oxidation showing on the terminal from sitting so long.
The terminal aluminum is so soft you can just about dent it if you breathe on it.
I would think the shell thickness is fairly rigid given the fact they are under pressure from expansion and EVE's recommendation for compression to prevent it. Someone posted he thought the shell is apx. 2mm thick and the top is even thicker as the terminals need to be mounted in the aluminum in that area. The guy who did a teardown of the cell had quite a time getting into it. I am sure they can be dented fairly easily but IMO suppliers shipping dented cells advertised as grade a is unacceptable.

EVE has 3 factories.
These are more than likely New Old Stock and supplied to Basen by a Battery Broker. This is very common.
The few scratches are more than likely from the testing probes and that is also quite common, the aluminium is quite soft and marks up very easily.
As to the cells being 2018/2019, if stored at a proper storage voltage of 3.150-3.300 they can sit static for a very long time that way.
Minor bends in the casing is not unusual (these are not dents & creases), the Aluminium is "Pop Can" thin and they do flex a bit.
The slushing sound is also normal, these are NOT Solid State Batteries. There is fluid in there and it has enough room to allow for some expansion/contraction due to temperatures that change through the operating cycle and external environment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I got the feedback from Emely (see pictures of the chat history).

After that, the cells from EVE were delivered without holes or threads in the ports. This is reminiscent of the report by the members of this group that letters were enclosed with Lishen cells, according to which the cells were delivered unwrapped and this was made up for by BASEN.

The explanation for the oxidation of the ports through moist storage is also thought-provoking.

Obviously, cells with production defects are purposefully bought up and processed in order to finally sell them as "Grade A" and "brand new".

Screenshot_20210225-230700_Alibabacom.jpgScreenshot_20210225-230708_Alibabacom.jpg
I hope that the compensation offered will be paid quickly and I will keep you informed

DiskussionInBoards.png

Isn't it time to blacklist Shenzen Basen?

TdKo, I just brought from them too. I hope mine is in better shape. Were Alibaba able to help you? Did the battery work to specs? Safe to use? Sorry, I have to ask because I want the battery to be at least safe when I am not around. Is there any good test to confirm the battery is safe that I can do when mine arrive?​

Last edited:

The terminals are clean enough to see they're unused, there may be minor marks from the initial forming charge and some handling but again there's no operational reason not to use them. It a appears something like another cell was placed on top of the terminals. The terminal aluminum is so soft you can just about dent it if you breathe on it.

They're not pristine but they look pretty decent to me.

The real test is to do a correctly done top balance then a discharge test to verify they all have the same capacity within 1%. If the cells fail that then you have a legit complaint and should begin Alibaba Trade Assurance resolution.

Has anyone here ever recieved a set of aftermarket/grey market cells from China that have tested out to within 1% of each other? I’d be ecstatic with a 3% variance for what I paid...

Looks like the complaints about Shenzen Basen are increasing ...
Screenshot_20210311-210439_Alibabacom.jpg

Last edited:
That's called being stuck between a rock and a hard place. It's pretty common; I've dealt with dealers there all the time. You can't go in with a Western mindset - if you can build up a good relationship with a sales person, they will do their best, but often times their hands are tied no matter what and they will also feel the impact of this personally in their wallet.

That's called being stuck between a rock and a hard place. It's pretty common; I've dealt with dealers there all the time. You can't go in with a Western mindset - if you can build up a good relationship with a sales person, they will do their best, but often times their hands are tied no matter what and they will also feel the impact of this personally in their wallet.

I'm really sorry for Emily - if that's not supposed to be a mail avatar. However, I signed the contract with Shenzhen Basen. And unfortunately this dealer can no longer be recommended.

Back