diy solar

diy solar

EVE 280 Amp Cells in 12V Pack

Opie91

Just finished up my 280 amp Eve pack (bought cells for Craig) using one of the Overkill Solar 120amp BMS. So far so good. The pack fits inside a standard Todd Universal Battery Box. Everything works great so far. Using a Victron BlueSolar charger to keep it up and ordered a Sterling ProLatch-R for low voltage protection.

This is the finished product ready to go into boat
IMG_7322.jpg

This picture was pack in progress. The Anderson connector was for my test set up.
IMG_7309.jpg

Totally cool. What is the white right angle plastic part seen at the bottom edge of second picture? A brief list of parts and sizing would be appreciated!

Totally cool. What is the white right angle plastic part seen at the bottom edge of second picture? A brief list of parts and sizing would be appreciated!

Thanks.

The bottom is Starboard and the sides are aluminum including the angles.

Clamped together with 1/4 threaded rod with 3/8 U channel that has 5/8 clear tubing slid over it for chafe protection.

3D printed the end caps for cells and the BMS mount.

It wasn't cheap but it should last for years and be more cost effective in the end.

Built this pack for my Dad's trolling motor out of 190ah cells from BLS. He can fish at least four tides between charges or even go back to the dock with his trolling motor if the outboard had a problem.

The biggest advantage was all the power to weight ratio. The boat is a Boston Whaler 17 Montauk and would have had a hard time carrying enough lead acid to run the trolling motor.

The toughest part is getting him not to charge it every time he gets back :)

24V Pack

IMG_7199.jpg

Fits in 8D battery box
IMG_7204.jpg

Used on this motor

IMG_7195.jpg

Last edited:
@Opie91 is this theory or can you point to supporting documentation? Is it for lifepo4 specific (not lithium ion?). What kind of life reduction is expected when you keep topped off at all times? Thx.

@Opie91 is this theory or can you point to supporting documentation? Is it for lifepo4 specific (not lithium ion?). What kind of life reduction is expected when you keep topped off at all times? Thx.

I would suggest you watch some of Will's videos on YouTube for a better understanding, you will get more out of that than what I will write here.

Nice and the battery cabinet looks hurricane proof! :).

I had a (Scout) center console for many years before I decided to go with a Slayer Propel (kayak) since I mostly fish smaller freshwater lakes and ponds now.

I am doing a similar pack for my Slayer and it's trolling motor and sonar unit, only 105AH though since I'm not fighting current and in a lightweight vessel. Your dad needs to take you out for a steak dinner and your favorite beverages for working all that up for him.

He has been out 4 times with it so far and the charge is still on 75%. If I had to do it again it would be a 100 ah pack.

Definitely not theory, pretty much a 'rule' of lifepo4 is not to store longterm at full SOC and not to float at full SOC. Many sources (here is one), including most cell manufacturer datasheets. I believe standard practice for long term storage is 30-60% SOC (don't take my word for this).

The small bit of data I've seen shows (see here) that the lower the storage SOC the better in terms of capacity loss over time.
screenshot-2020-07-04-23-20-01-png.16822

I think (but am not positive) that this may also apply to other lithium-ion chemistries. My laptop bios has settings for prolonging battery life that keep the battery below 90% SOC.

Last edited:
Big problem is topped off at elevated temperature.

All the recommendations I have seen say that 30% SOC is best for long term storage. And cooler is better than hotter.

Just finished up my 280 amp Eve pack (bought cells for Craig) using one of the Overkill Solar 120amp BMS. So far so good. The pack fits inside a standard Todd Universal Battery Box. Everything works great so far. Using a Victron BlueSolar charger to keep it up and ordered a Sterling ProLatch-R for low voltage protection.

This is the finished product ready to go into boat
View attachment 20141

This picture was pack in progress. The Anderson connector was for my test set up.
View attachment 20142
Where did you get your battery studs from?

i have to say you have some really nice beefy cables. i only used 2x6mm2 however max ill pull is 50A so should be fine. temp only raises 1.C when running at full load for an hour. ya did make the clamping system allot better than me. i just used an sort of wooden case with some bolts which move a plate to the cells. it works but i think yours is way more durable. maybe ill rebuild mine one day. But great job on the battery

Back