diy solar

diy solar

EVE-280 cells should these be clamped tight or spaced for expansion?

Batteries are the future. I'm going wait until you guys prove out the spring concept then I'll copy yours. ?
I'm still not ready to torque my nuts to 33 inch pounds either.

Batteries are the future. I'm going wait until you guys prove out the spring concept then I'll copy yours. ?
I'm still not ready to torque my nuts to 33 inch pounds either.
Don't, because 33inlb is the value required for 1 m6 nut. What setup do you have?

There really isn't anything to prove. As long as you measure the original length of the spring and know the spring rate, it's a done deal. Just wind it down 1mm for every kgf you need.

I wouldn't, I'd measure the torque required to provide 300kgf clamping force on the side of the cell. I.e. 33inlb over 6 x m6(1/4") nuts. So 5.5inlb on each of 6 nuts + drag for my nyloc nuts.

But really I wouldn't do that because it's fraught with errors. Springs are the future man! ?

Good luck finding a torque wrench that goes down to 5.5 in lb. My 1/4" Snap-On digital torque wrench starts at 21 in lb. I'm not saying they don't exist, just that they're hard to find and if you buy one, what the heck else would you ever use it on again?

Good luck finding a torque wrench that goes down to 5.5 in lb. My 1/4" Snap-On digital torque wrench starts at 21 in lb. I'm not saying they don't exist, just that they're hard to find and if you buy one, what the heck else would you ever use it on again?
Exactly. Power to the springs!

Can't be that hard to find, I just looked and I happen to have 2 in my possession already. One is fixed at 2 in/lbs, the other goes from 0.3-1.15 Nm which is 3.1-10.18 in/lbs.
My other one goes from 15-75 in/lbs.

Or just hang a weight off a spanner or socket at the correct point. ? Eg. 5inLb is 1lb at 5inches from the center of the nut, spanner must he completely level for it to work.

Now this is what I was talking about with the uneven sides to the eve cells. You can see the marks on my end plate where they are touching. A thin line across the top and 4 thin patches vertically down the sides. I would say it's the same on all cells. Hmmmmm.
20201112_153829.jpg

It's a shame @ghostwriter66 has already spoken to the engineers, I would have been interested what their take on this is in relation to compression.

Might be worth using some 1/16-1/8" high density neoprene rubber? My cells were fairly flat (flatter than that) but the edges were still the primary contact points. However only 20 thousands of expansion would change that.

Might be worth using some 1/16-1/8" high density neoprene rubber? My cells were fairly flat (flatter than that) but the edges were still the primary contact points. However only 20 thousands of expansion would change that.
20 thou? Like 0.001mm? Can you even measure that without a serious set of feeler gauges? ?

I will look into the foam, or just short the terminals and get a tan until they have swelled enough to fill the gaps.

I bought this one for $45, I had needed one a few times already for other reasons so was time to buy one:
https://www.tekton.com/1-4-inch-drive-dual-direction-click-torque-wrench-trq21101

While 10 in-lb is the lowest major increment, with the vernier has 1 in-lb markings and you can go a bit lower than 10. Of course it will start to lose accuracy at say 6 in-lb but I don't think that matters much in this application.

I bought this one for $45, I had needed one a few times already for other reasons so was time to buy one:
https://www.tekton.com/1-4-inch-drive-dual-direction-click-torque-wrench-trq21101

While 10 in-lb is the lowest major increment, with the vernier has 1 in-lb markings and you can go a bit lower than 10. Of course it will start to lose accuracy at say 6 in-lb but I don't think that matters much in this application.

That should work. On my non-digital torque wrench, the click gets very faint at the lower limit. I looked up the specs on my digital torque wrench and realized the lower limit is actually 12 in lbs not 21 like I had said. I used the lowest value when tightening the nuts on my compression pack, so it must have been 12, not 21.

What would be perfect is a separator that deforms to fill the gaps, but I'm thinking that would need something that collapses at a specific pressure close to 17psi but can maintain pressures lower than that. I thought about neoprene sheet, but my experience of that is it looses it's spring too quickly. And it's an insulator, so negates my aluminium separator plates.

Make a mold in some sand, put a plastic saran wrap, then pour in a little clear epoxy for a perfect fit spacer.

I think two boards with this small innertube would allow measuring PSI.. I'm guessing 0%-100% charge size difference wouldn't make much of a difference in pressure since it's such a small relative distance.
edit: this one looks better for this use.

Last edited:
Back