diy solar

diy solar

EVE-280 cells should these be clamped tight or spaced for expansion?

1/32" neoprene rubber, high density, is a good option. It's available in sheets. For non mobile applications, thing plastic cutting boards (kitchen) are very cheap and thin.

3m makes some double sided tap in 3" widths that is thin, that would also work.
EVA craft foam might also work. Dielectric strength is 30MV/m: https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=410
Which works out to 90kV for 3mm (about 1/8"). Make sure to keep it dry!

Something to cove the smell of burnt insulation? Kinda like spraying flower air freshener after a big dump. Just smells like crap and flowers though.

I wonder if they have a Mulberry scented version?

I'm going to test my EVE cells next time I pull them out from my work-in-progress project. I'm rather shocked that the outer case is tied to one of the terminals, considering how frighteningly thin the blue wrap is. I know for a fact that simple handling of them nicked the blue wrap in a few places. My carrying box is aluminum.

Flexible cutting boards on order.

I'm going to test my EVE cells next time I pull them out from my work-in-progress project. I'm rather shocked that the outer case is tied to one of the terminals, considering how frighteningly thin the blue wrap is. I know for a fact that simple handling of them nicked the blue wrap in a few places. My carrying box is aluminum.

Flexible cutting boards on order.
I think that blue wrap is just to protect the finish, not act as an insulator. Guessing it's LDPE or HDPE.

As I consider clamping 8 x 280Ah LiFePO4s, I just noticed the side planes of my battery cells are not the perfectly flat plane I had thought they were. I just saw that picture when I pressed them together, as see light between side edges pushed together. I can also feel minor waves of battery side planes on my new batteries. This is my 2nd set which I am currently top balancing and Ah testing. I can feel slight wave on outside edges of my 1st set which I had not previously noticed. My biggest question: Is that Normal for Grade A LiFePO4s ? Does anyone get perfectly flat side of battery planes from some sources/ and not others? I am also wondering about the potential benefit of compressing such side planes in a battery bank that might reach up to 0.5C charges and current draws in a solar application?

Last edited:
I clamped my cells even during the top balance procedure. Ignore the voltage on the power supply. I had just accidentally bumped the knob, changing it from Constant Voltage to Constant Current. :( I looked at the cell gaps after zooming in on the image. I have small gaps. Apparently, if there were bulges, they weren't enough to catch my attention.

Battery Top Balancing.jpg

Do they look something like this?
Not quiet as much. Thanks for the link. ... I will compress some, and evaluate further. I was caught by surprise; and glad to see what I just noticed is somewhat the norm. If I am still concerned later, I will post a picture or two.
... Glad for the comparing notes option here :+)

Barley paper.....yes/no?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210107-110940_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20210107-110940_AliExpress.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 10
Back