diy solar

diy solar

EVE 280A Load Capacity Testing Help Wanted

I have the Victron shunt with BM712 meter, collecting dust.

The top balancing took awhile which is how I got them all to 3.65. With it taking a day to load test one cell, it can be arduous.

Have a secret for you....you can actually go to work, eat and sleep while charging and testing is going on. We don't all have to live in our garage like Andy :)
One thing, put a fuse on the tester if unattended. The load uses a MOSFET that likes to die as a short. Just a precaution.

There is no breaker or fuse unless you add one. The tester will likely emit magic smoke if you are lucky, but you really don't want to short out a battery cell without a fuse.
The tester connects to the 120V outlet which is connected to a breaker :) If I was to add a fuse, I don't know if I have the correct fuse, but wouldn't that also add resistance and further slow the charge?

The tester connects to the 120V outlet which is connected to a breaker :) If I was to add a fuse, I don't know if I have the correct fuse, but wouldn't that also add resistance and further slow the charge?
Not on the alternating current or power supply side, on the connection to the battery.
Yes, your breaker would protect on the A/C, you just don't want the MOSFET to short the battery or cell you are testing while you aren't there.
It's doubtful the printed circuit board would conduct enough current before blowing, but you really don't want a direct short across that battery.

I am wondering if you have matched and batched cells (Amy) and do a top balance if a capacity test is even warranted?

I am wondering if you have matched and batched cells (Amy) and do a top balance if a capacity test is even warranted?
My Lishen cells weren't bought when there was so much emphasis on matching cells and so matching wasn't even the dialogue. When I bought my newer EVE cells, the vendor (like Amy) claimed matched cells, but then we discovered that their idea of matching and what people said were the criteria for matching wasn't the same thing. In my case, the vendor (Basen) ordered 2,000 "matched" cells and the vendor did nothing more than sending them out, not even trying to get the closest "matched" ones or doing any further matching of any kind. Amy at Luyuan doesn't do any additional matching. Of my eight EVE cells, there was less than a 2ah capacity based on the mfg's datasheet and my own testing. At the same time another person on here ordered eight EVE cells and they had a spread of 5.67AH or something like that.

When we were buying the EVE cells, and found out they were LF280s, the assumption at the time was there hadn't been any LF280s made since July a year ago. There was a concern about them being old, and a lot of stories about how they were no longer matched, were really Grade B, and they wouldn't have the capacity they would have more than a year ago when made. In the process we learned the batteries from Basen and Luyuan were made in December, so not "new", but not nearly as old.

Back