diy solar

diy solar

EVE 280Ah LiFePO4 Review (Dongguan Lightning New Energy Technology)

LithiumSolar

Solar Enthusiast
After seeing numerous people talking about EVE 280Ah prismatic batteries, I decided to order a few and start exploring LiFePO4 more. Details of the purchase are below, along with my review and testing of the batteries. I am most interested in why 2 of the 4 sound like plastic. I'm hoping someone more experienced here may have more info on this.

Supplier: Dongguan Lightning New Energy Technology (Rain Zeng)
Supplier Link: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/4pcs-batch-LF280-LEP-3-2V_62483436488.html
Date Ordered: Oct 19, 2020
Date Received: Dec 18, 2020
Price Paid: $463
Initial Voltages: 3.29V, 3.28V, 3.28V, 3.29V
Comments: Supplier was very responsive to questions, but hardware was missing that should have been included...

I am most interested in why 2 of the 4 sound like plastic.
I find that interesting but don't have an answer.

Your delta at the bottom looked good considering these are not matched cells. I have 8 of them. I top balanced and my delta at the bottom is .5 volts. The highest cell is 3.00 volts and the lowest cell is 2.5 volts when the BMS cuts off. At the top the delta is less than 100mv's. I get 272ah's from the pack, about the same as you.

Just an update, since I can no longer edit the original post... Rain has offered to send out the missing hardware without even being asked. I strongly appreciate the quick communication, helpfulness, and professionalism.

Just an update, since I can no longer edit the original post... Rain has offered to send out the missing hardware without even being asked. I strongly appreciate the quick communication, helpfulness, and professionalism.

Hey i stumbled across your YOUTUBE site a day or so ago when my boss was telling me that you were taking apart some of the MPP Solar SCC/Inverters things that we have a few boxes of ... ... YOU do a very good job in laying things out and explaining them to folks ... I think at this point I have watched all of your videos .... keep up the good work ..

SOOO because of you i have also ordered a few 280's from Dongguan Lightning New Energy Technology .. we'll see what the outcome is .. man the prices are good though ... almost too good ...

Hey i stumbled across your YOUTUBE site a day or so ago when my boss was telling me that you were taking apart some of the MPP Solar SCC/Inverters things that we have a few boxes of ... ... YOU do a very good job in laying things out and explaining them to folks ... I think at this point I have watched all of your videos .... keep up the good work ..

SOOO because of you i have also ordered a few 280's from Dongguan Lightning New Energy Technology .. we'll see what the outcome is .. man the prices are good though ... almost too good ...
So which MPP Solar did you get? I know you were asking about which SCC to get in the other thread.

So which MPP Solar did you get? I know you were asking about which SCC to get in the other thread.
we wound up getting a hand full of 3048LV-MK mpp SCC ... God bless Sol-Ark but we can get a dozen 3048 for the price of a sol-ark ... yes i know - apples and oranges -- but for what we need - the 3048 will work fine ... yada yada yada

we wound up getting a hand full of 3048LV-MK mpp SCC ... God bless Sol-Ark but we can get a dozen 3048 for the price of a sol-ark ... yes i know - apples and oranges -- but for what we need - the 3048 will work fine ... yada yada yada
Please let us know how good they work, I am thinking about getting one also. Do you mind telling me how much they end up costing and where you order them from? Thanks.

you can start a chat with them from the above page ...

we bought all of ours from the MPP Solar store directly ... we also for $81 purchased the wi-fi box that allows you to connect your system to local wifi and then check and change things from anywhere in the world you have WiFi access .... part of the 81 is a cloud server that stores all your info (don't know if thats good or bad but we don't care)

We paid $590 for our 3048's ... they so far seem very solid ... of course the first thing we did was tear the covers off to see whats in there and we were pretty impressed ...

I think the price went up about $30 simply on shipping .. but that is something you could probably se if you could work with them on ...

the 3048 does NOT come with WiFi or Bluetooth BUT you can direct connect via RJ45

The software seems pretty intuitive ...

more to follow after I play wiht them a little ...

This is a mistake in the lastest version of the datasheet from EVE, right?

1632398705567.png

This is a mistake in the lastest version of the datasheet from EVE, right?
Yes but I don't know what the version of the datasheet you have is. It should be at the top of the spec sheet. I have a few data sheets for the LF280's, and data sheets for the LF289L, LF280K and LF280N and I don't see that error. Where did you get that data sheet from?

Do you have more information? Because the battery cycle life of EVE280Ah is more than 3500 times.
The cycle life is not more than 3500 for the LF280's. :) And to reach 3500 cycles one must use perfect compression throughout the SOC of the cells. Same applies to the LF280K which "claim" a 6000 cycle life. The easiest way to increase cycle life is to keep the cells SOC between the knees. But compression no matter how one decides to accomplish it is a good thing provided too much compression isn't applied which will decrease cycle life.

Last edited:
Yes but I don't know what the version of the datasheet you have is. It should be at the top of the spec sheet. I have a few data sheets for the LF280's, and data sheets for the LF289L, LF280K and LF280N and I don't see that error. Where did you get that data sheet from?
This is the top page:

1632441130544.png

One more question: What is the preferred type of connection?

View attachment 66010
If I had to do it all over again I would prefer the laser welded studs over inserting my own grub screws. The threads in the cells terminals are very easy to strip even if using a thread locker as I found out the hard way. Also the recommended torque for the nuts if using grub screws, or if using a bolt, is around 4nm. The nuts on laser welded studs can be torqued safely at least double that at 8nm.

The cycle life is not more than 3500 for the LF280's. :) And to reach 3500 cycles one must use perfect compression throughout the SOC of the cells. Same applies to the LF280K which "claim" a 6000 cycle life. The easiest way to increase cycle life is to keep the cells SOC between the knees. But compression no matter how one decides to accomplish it is a good thing provided too much compression isn't applied which will decrease cycle life.
thanks for your reminder. So there is a premise

Back