diy solar

diy solar

EVE 280Ah shipping damage/corrosion

lucvht

After 2.5 months I have received my first batch of EVE 280AH cells:
- 14 cells survived the trip (y)
- 2 cells with shipping damage despite the padding in the boxes
- one cell with corrosion on the terminals (M6 won't fit)

Have reported this to Amy hoping this won't take another 2.5 months to get fixed ?

Any suggestion regarding the corrosion, the surface is the easy part don't want the damage the already fragile threads....

Attachments

• IMG_20210309_201944488.jpg
    IMG_20210309_201944488.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20210309_202009617.jpg
    IMG_20210309_202009617.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20210309_202027184.jpg
    IMG_20210309_202027184.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 84
Too bad on the shipping damage. Fedex?

That terminal doesn't look bad to me, just looks like the surface unless I'm not looking at the right thing. Terminals should be polished/cleaned before use anyway. 1000 grit sandpaper or scotch bright pad should do the trick. Then clean up with some alcohol or acetone and then ideally coat with something like noalox to prevent corrosion going forward.

600+ grit sandpaper. Blow out the threads when finished. I like to use a piece of very flat material, granite countertop for example, to sand on.

You should get replacements for the dented cells. However the one dented on the top corner may be okay to use if its not leaking. The reason for this is there is actually some free space between the top of the cell and the jelly roll inside. This is necessary for the current collectors to be welded to the terminal block.

UPS, the surface is easy to clean, am trying to get the threads clean as well. So far unable to get the grub screw far enough in (compared to the other cells)

run a tap the correct size in the corroded threads. Use a stud that fits properly into the other terminals to determine tap size.

Got the M6 grub screws in ! with some patience and in-out-in-out and clean cycles, might try an M6 tap tomorrow. Normally the cells should arrive at 3.29V which is true for all cells expect the corroded one which is at 3.65V. The video send before shipping shows all cells at 3.29V (and my first name), seems odd a cell charging during shipping ?

A cell shouldn't be able to sit at 3.65v, that sounds like a problem. After charging to 3.65, they naturally settle down to 3.5x pretty quick. I'd talk to Amy on that one, it doesn't sound good. Also, don't hook that 3.65v cell up in parallel to others unless you can get the voltage equalized first.

Last edited:
3.65V?!? I would double check that, very concerning for a cell weeks in transit to be that high.

What's happening with the dents? I wonder how that happened?

Boxes where padded, so probably (very) rough handling by UPS ?
perhaps they had too much weight stacked on top in a poor packing configuration (either in boat shipping container or with ups). Hard to believe rough handling could do that through all the foam packing. Other option is they were shipped that way.

Where did you order them from? If Xuba? Amy doesn't work there anymore but I heard they are still using her name.

perhaps they had too much weight stacked on top in a poor packing configuration (either in boat shipping container or with ups). Hard to believe rough handling could do that through all the foam packing. Other option is they were shipped that way.
That kind of damage would absolutely happen if a box is dropped. With the foam, it's like bottoming out the springs on a car. Once you are out of foam/spring travel, the cell with take the force when it bottoms out. The box may even look relatively OK, but there should be some signs of compression, probably on a corner and/or edge with that damage. With the density of these cells, it wouldn't take much of a drop.

I recently received a victron inverter that had been dropped/damaged in shipping. The top part of the inverter housing was bent and this is some really thick beefy metal. The box had much more foam padding then these 4 cell packs, but it still got damaged. The corner of the box wasn't crushed in and the foam looked fine, but you could see the signs of compression from the drop on the corner of the box.

I went with the 272 lishen group buy with Michael and I had the option of shipping with 2 cells per box rather than 4 for an extra fee (which also claimed to be faster shipping). I don't think 2 cells to a box would survive a drop without damage either, but I figured it was worth spending a little extra for more protection.

That kind of damage would absolutely happen if a box is dropped. With the foam, it's like bottoming out the springs on a car. Once you are out of foam/spring travel, the cell with take the force when it bottoms out. The box may even look relatively OK, but there should be some signs of compression, probably on a corner and/or edge with that damage. With the density of these cells, it wouldn't take much of a drop.

I recently received a victron inverter that had been dropped/damaged in shipping. The top part of the inverter housing was bent and this is some really thick beefy metal. The box had much more foam padding then these 4 cell packs, but it still got damaged. The corner of the box wasn't crushed in and the foam looked fine, but you could see the signs of compression from the drop on the corner of the box.

I went with the 272 lishen group buy with Michael and I had the option of shipping with 2 cells per box rather than 4 for an extra fee (which also claimed to be faster shipping). I don't think 2 cells to a box would survive a drop without damage either, but I figured it was worth spending a little extra for more protection.
Perhaps you‘re right. I was thinking about how mine were shipped which was 2 to a box in quite dense foam. I have no idea how his were shipped.

Doesn't seem right to me. Certainly not without visible damage to the box. How could you have enough residual force after all the absorption to damage metal but not cardboard? The cardboard being the 1st thing that will be damaged. Mine have been shipped by Amy at Shenzen Luyuan. 2 to a box. I wasn't given a choice.

Doesn't seem right to me. Certainly not without visible damage to the box. How could you have enough residual force after all the absorption to damage metal but not cardboard? The cardboard being the 1st thing that will be damaged. Mine have been shipped by Amy at Shenzen Luyuan. 2 to a box. I wasn't given a choice.
There would be some indication of damage on the box, but maybe not that bad. The box will spring back into shape, the cell will not.

See pics below from my inverter damage. It must have been a hell of a drop to bend the thick housing of this inverter. Box showed the impact, but it really didn't look that bad given the nature of the inverter damage. It was packed in thick dense foam and the foam looked fine.

The cell casings are pretty thin, so I think it's reasonable you could get some serious drop damage without much showing on the box.

IMG_0334 (1).jpgIMG_0331 (1).jpgIMG_0332 (1).jpg
ee

There would be some indication of damage on the box, but maybe not that bad. The box will spring back into shape, the cell will not.

See pics below from my inverter damage. It must have been a hell of a drop to bend the thick housing of this inverter. Box showed the impact, but it really didn't look that bad given the nature of the inverter damage. It was packed in thick dense foam and the foam looked fine.

The cell casings are pretty thin, so I think it's reasonable you could get some serious drop damage without much showing on the box.

View attachment 40355View attachment 40356View attachment 40357
ee
Or....it was packed and shipped damaged...

Or....it was packed and shipped damaged...
Are you talking about the cells or the inverter? If it's the inverter, it sounds like you are suggesting that they packed a damaged inverter and the box just happened to have a "bounce" mark on the same corner as the damage? I guess anything is possible, but that's a reach at best.

As previously stated, foam can only protect from a certain amount of force. At some point, the foam runs out of travel/compression and the item is the only thing left to compress. The foam and box go mostly back into shape, the metal item (cell, inverter) does not.

if anyone is looking for current reviews, this link will take you to the thread documenting my positive experience with dongguan new lightning energy technology, co. I ordered with them through alibaba in mid january, I received my shipment on the second of march.

Back