diy solar

diy solar

EVE identifies Grade B cells using new marking Method [Reposting from General]

lol yup... until He shows evidence for his opinion with long term comparison testing its just an opinion. hes not even compressing them correctly at all there showing his bias regardless. until I see some actual long term testing showing it doesnt effect capacity as well as cycle life I am just as inclined to believe it might.

Not so long-term testing and he confessed that he was likely wrong.

Andy has always stated he is learning as things go and tells people what he has learned along the way. I for one appreciate his honestly and willing to learn as many of us DIYers are in the same spot.

Not so long-term testing and he confessed that he was likely wrong.

You need to watch that with more attention. He doesn't admit that he was wrong. He shows that his cells have expanded and it might be stressing the terminals.

At about 7' he assesses the swelling and considers it to be not that bad and refers to another youtuber who had restrained his cells and got the same swelling even though the cells were restrained.

IOW it's a click bait video title.

My understnding of his thoughts on restraint aren't that you shouldn't do it but that, in low current applications, the effect on cell longevity is pretty much irrelevant - you might only get 3000 cycles instead of 6000, but even that is likely to exceed the calendar life expectancy of the cells.

but even that is likely to exceed the calendar life expectancy of the cells.
Have you seen such information for a LiFePo4 cell? I haven't seen this detail in the EVE/CALB datasheets.

PVs actually say that they will fade X% in 25 years. It would be nice if the same was available for the cells.

Have you seen such information for a LiFePo4 cell? I haven't seen this detail in the EVE/CALB datasheets.

PVs actually say that they will fade X% in 25 years. It would be nice if the same was available for the cells.

No, but that's not very surprising as the life expectancy of Lion cells is very strongly dependent on storage temperature and SoC so any figure is going to be inaccurate and potentially misleading.

PV makers tend to give (worthless) guarantees that the modules will fade not less than x% in so many years. They don't say that they will fade by that amount and usually you might expect that the output and usable lifetime will be much greater than that.

I found research that gives some direction for longevity. Basically, keep the at a moderate temperature (30C) and not fully charged (this has secondary importance).

My cells are working at 15C to 30C. The lower end is provided by the heating pads, the higher end is because of the current surrounding conditions (6cm heat insulation sheets and 10-12C surrounding temperature). In the summer I'll be removing the heat insulation sheets on top of the pack. And the pack stays mostly at ~40% SOC. Looks like I'm in the sweet spot for longevity.

You need to watch that with more attention. He doesn't admit that he was wrong. He shows that his cells have expanded and it might be stressing the terminals.

At about 7' he assesses the swelling and considers it to be not that bad and refers to another youtuber who had restrained his cells and got the same swelling even though the cells were restrained.

IOW it's a click bait video title.

My understnding of his thoughts on restraint aren't that you shouldn't do it but that, in low current applications, the effect on cell longevity is pretty much irrelevant - you might only get 3000 cycles instead of 6000, but even that is likely to exceed the calendar life expectancy of the cells.
So more recently he seems to believe the compression matters now... I agree he is learning and I totally respect that as we all learn as we go and make mistakes. But hes quick to form and share opinons based on incorrect assumptions like the series he did bashing the JBD 300amp relay bms that he himself damaged by changing setting incorrectly and causing the relay to quickly cycle on and off over and over bypassing the cooling time mechanical relays need to prevent burned and fused contacts. He then went on to explain those setting and the presets made no sense which to me made it clear he thought the mechanical relays could switch on and off quickly like mosfets with no tradeoffs. I love watching his stuff and value his input but I think he could benefit from being a little more cautious about what he tells people from time to time. He is quick to blame things.

Last edited:
Oh how this thread has aged. We expected to see the B markings on cells. Now the Chinese has one upped their game and started sanding off the original QR and printing a new one on it. And then sell it as Grade A.

So more recently he seems to believe the compression matters now... I agree he is learning and I totally respect that as we all learn as we go and make mistakes. But hes quick to form and share opinons based on incorrect assumptions like the series he did bashing the JBD 300amp relay bms that he himself damaged by changing setting incorrectly and causing the relay to quickly cycle on and off over and over bypassing the cooling time mechanical relays need to prevent burned and fused contacts. He then went on to explain those setting and the presets made no sense which to me made it clear he thought the mechanical relays could switch on and off quickly like mosfets with no tradeoffs. I love watching his stuff and value his input but I think he could benefit from being a little more cautious about what he tells people from time to time. He is quick to blame things.
Is the EVA foam shown in the video provided by Seplos, or is that something that Andy added?

Oh how this thread has aged. We expected to see the B markings on cells. Now the Chinese has one upped their game and started sanding off the original QR and printing a new one on it. And then sell it as Grade A.

It hasn't' aged the prediction was made well early on that Chinese sellers would start to cover/up make fake qr codes. The only thing that has changed is that 2 or so years trying to determine the difference between genuine vs reject cells was much murkier.

it isnt just foam...
and no , it should be fiberboard, as that will not allow for cell movement
Thanks. Andy specifically mentioned EVA in the posted video. I'll surmise that he added it himself without reason or any sort of properties measurement on his behalf.

Thanks. Andy specifically mentioned EVA in the posted video. I'll surmise that he added it himself without reason or any sort of properties measurement on his behalf.
no, he is using the sheets provided, but next to a "squezy" eva side, there is a added thin plastic seperator behind the glue

no , it should be fiberboard
he is using the sheets provided
Your two answers were confusing. Thanks for getting me straight.

I didn't see any mention of the properties of the EVA foam on the Seplos site; I guess we have no way of telling if they are doing compression the way cell manufacturers recommend. If EVA takes a set like I think it will over time, any compression could turn to zero as the foam hardens.

Back