diy solar

diy solar

Eve LF280K 6000cycle rated for solar at .5C 32cell build

michael d

off-grid solar pilgrim
I just ordered 32 cells with double busbars through Alibaba. The price was less than the Lishen cells and I ordered them with the welded-on screw holes, 20mm long m6 set screws, and serrated flange nuts. It will be about 60 days or so before they arrive.
I will be assembling a 32 cell 280Ahx4cells=1120 Ah battery at 25.6volt nominal using 32 cells 4P8S.
The total cost was $4243.19 including their service tax/fee delivered to South Dakota USA.
This makes the average delivered price = $132.60 dollars per 3.2Volt Eve LF280K cell.
3.2x8=25.6 nominal volts.
280Ah x 4 = 1120 Ah in parallel groups of 4 cells.
1120 Ah x 25.6 volts = 28,672 Wh battery potential capacity. they are reported to have more than 280 Ah capacity potential.
The plan is to use the Electrodacus SBMS0 as the BMS.
All will be off-grid.?

You’re building the exact battery setup I have. Except I have the welded studs not threaded holes. And FilterGuy helped me through the bms mess, and so much more (thank you FilterGuy!!) we ended up doing 4 overkill bms’s. I love it. Having the 4 bms’s ensures I’m never pushing them hard at all. Typically my max load is 80a total. 20a per bms. I have went higher by shutting off individual batteries and running singly just to check temps. But everything so far has worked exceedingly well. A million times better than my old fla batteries. This is after doing 2 loads of laundry running a dehydrator all day well pump for probably 30 minutes, insta pot for 30 minutes Fridge, freezer all day, microwave for 5 minutes, toaster, lights tv you name it. And I think they were at like the same charge percent this morning, (I have it adjusted conservatively if you noticed). Now my biggest problem is I just need more panels ?! More power to charge this awesome battery!

Attachments

• EA42AEF3-56B2-4ED2-907A-432C8C2EC366.png
    EA42AEF3-56B2-4ED2-907A-432C8C2EC366.png
    831.2 KB · Views: 65
Oh also, you notice 10 battery cycles? I put the batteries in service June 26 lol. Looks like im not going to be too worried about them cycling to death

Here is the new specification sheet for the Eve LF280K cells. The specification sheet is a pdf file so one can open enlarge etc. I am not sure if this is already on the forum or not but here it is at any rate.
These cells weigh 5.42kg each;
so 32cells x 5.42kg/cell = 173.44 kg which is approximately 381.568 pounds.
I chose the welded-on screw holes as they had slightly more surface contact area than the welded-on studs. This will be a bit better for the busbar contact. I was interested in the welded-on stud version but they were out of stock and would slow the order a few more days .... hahaha .... still takes 60 days or so on the slow boat ride from China to the USA!
Hope this information will help others in the future.?

Attachments

• LF280K (3 2V 280Ah) Product Specification( Version B ).pdf
    542.4 KB · Views: 98
5 days after order the batteries are being shipped. On 9/13/2021 the boat ride begins. see how long it takes them to arrive to port in the USA.

Grade A
This will be the 2nd time I ordered 32 cells from this seller. I specifically asked the seller and they are new grade A cells.
I do not have these in my possession yet.?
I bought them through Alibaba.com so I have had good success through this method, but the shipping time delivery time is long. one(the buyer) has to have a lot of patience. I expect most of 60 days before they arrive at my location.

Grade A
This will be the 2nd time I ordered 32 cells from this seller. I specifically asked the seller and they are new grade A cells.
I do not have these in my possession yet.?
I bought them through Alibaba.com so I have had good success through this method, but the shipping time delivery time is long. one(the buyer) has to have a lot of patience. I expect most of 60 days before they arrive at my location.
Every seller will state their cells are Grade A++ Super Cells +++ Amazing top quality.
Don't take what they say for absolute truth.
Reassuring you've bought from them and been satisfied though.
What seller was it?

Maybe I can set up a group buy to negotiate a good price. Have to have patient buyers as I can not absorb the huge price. and expect a 60 day wait for the delivery, due to customs and the slow boat ride. ?more later,

the 32 EVE 280Ah cells have cleared customs at the port in the USA. evidently, UPS is so backed up that the forwarder has now set them to be delivered via FedEx. the seller said they should be here in about 2 weeks. That sounds about right to me.

I built another solar panel array ground support structure for 12 more solar panels, so all is progressing slow but sure.

wood and steel prices are up about 50 percent higher than 1 year ago (bummer). but the solar panels (another 40) were the same price as the 1st 40 I bought. ?

82 days transit time for the latest batch of LiFePO4 cells. Today, I received notice that FedEx now has the battery cells and they are expected to arrive to my acreage in South Dakota on November 29th, 2021. I ordered them on September 8th, 2021. The shipping and port delays are longer than last year for sure. but I anticipated 60 plus days and have other work on the solar panel array etc that I have slowly been doing.

So that would be 82 days shipping. it likely took the vendor a few days to get the order ready to ship. but still 82 days time from the date of order until I receive the 32 280Ah EVE LF280K cells. SO if you are in a hurry you will have to pay a lot more to get a faster shipment,
somehow the tortoise beat the hare anyways,

I prefer to save a bit and do some planning and preparation without being overly hurried in the process.
I ordered the SBMS0 and more DSSR20's and other things as this will be assembled into a 4P8S 32cell battery for solar energy storage all off-grid DIY. This is the second time I ordered from this same vendor>> Ryan Zeng thru Alibaba.

more later ?

3.2 volt EVE LF280K cell shipment update: 4 boxes arrived yesterday 11/26/2021 with double bus bars and 4 LF280k cells in each box. I unpacked them into the solar power shed and checked the voltage on 4 and they all read 3.291 volts. 4 boxes are still en route so at present 16 of the 32 cell order has arrived safely in 79 days.
Then I went to work on the solar array support structures as the wind is down .... more later?

I have ordered another Electrodacus SBMS0, and 10 more Electrodacus DSSR20's with diversion, along with an Electrodacus Dect16 for this new 32 cell LiFePO4 24-volt battery build.

The Electrodacus SBMS0 is the BMS(battery management system) and the Electodacus DSSR20's are the solar charge controllers.

The Electrodacus Dect16 is to help with wire management of the Electrodacus DSSR20's.

They were shipped yesterday so should be perfect timing for the 32 cell battery assembly process to continue. A good indoor project as the weather is getting colder outside.

All will be done off-grid with electricity generated off-grid.
The sun is out nice today and all the livestock tended so time to work on the array structures some more.
Unistrut and 2x6 treated lumber etc is the array structure for 6 250watt panels per array structure. if I can get to line up better I may connect them together some.

I am thinking the second row of 6-panel arrays I may go higher as I have seen on a signature solar YouTube video and utilize it as a carport, or tractor/lawn mower storage, or other machine storage under the solar panels. slow but sure. working as a one-man crew (me, myself, and I).

I am using a fixed 45-degree southern exposure for each of the 6-panel array structures.

ladders and scaffolding etc. but only if the wind is reasonable....>>>>South Dakota wind dictates what I do outside.?

the goal is off-grid self-sufficiency. So DIY is the way to go. what I save as a DIYer I can invest in better tools etc.

price of a 3.2x280x32 battery with BMS prebuilt by some corporate entrepreneur at a jacked-up price???

3.2Volts per cell x 280Ah = 896 Wh per cell
896Wh per cell x 32 cells = 28,672 Wh potential storage capacity.

I will try to run between 20 percent and 90 percent SOC (state of charge) [(not at 3.64 volts per cell)]..... the goal for a longer battery life span.

3.2 is the low nominal voltage.
This battery will normally run at 3.375 to 3.4 volts per cell.
Usually, around 27 volts when assembled and cycled with Solar PV panels as the daily charger.

later all ?

EVE LF280K cell update: 3 more boxes of the LF280K EVE cells arrived today November 29th, 2021 so 82 days shipping for these 3 boxes. 1 more box in limbo in Kansas so will be here soon. All cells have looked great so far, all codes intact. these have the welded-on terminal so a bit better than the previous cells I had ordered. time will tell but they are set up for set screws/grub screws and the serrated flange nuts and washers. I think this may still be the best way but one could also use 6mm bolts if you could get the size you need. the busbars include are solid copper and I ordered double the busbars as you need them to do the initial paralleling of the cells. I had to run errands and get my daughter the 2nd covid shot today; so not much time but I did unbox them all.
I hope to weigh them if I can locate the scale I bought a while back. they are supposedly supposed to weigh more and be physically slightly larger than the previous EVE cells. I don't know but is worth checking it out anyway.?
more later

Back