diy solar

diy solar

Eve LF280K 6000cycle rated for solar at .5C 32cell build

Well, the price 132,6$ per cell was totally surprised me. Because EVE grade A the selling price is $0.55/Ah (not including shipping cost). And you can get it for $0.474/ah (including shipping cost). This is a surprise
yes, i think so

yes, i think so
these are being shipped from China to the USA via a slow boat ride. the price is significantly higher than 1 year ago when I ordered and received the 64 Lishen cells. inflation for sure, higher shipping costs for sure. I wait for 1 more box and then the complete 32 cell shipment of EVE LF280K cells with double busbars, studs, serrated flange nuts, and washers will be here. I am in South Dakota USA.

this is the second time I have ordered from Ryan Zeng thru Alibaba.

these cells have been in excellent shape. sold to me as Grade A >>> I specifically asked that question. they all have intact QR codes and no reason to believe they are somebody's misrepresented used Grade B cells. there is no sign of any previous usage. these have the welded-on terminals, which are a step up from the tapped terminals.

when I assemble the 4P8S 32 cell battery I like the screw in set screw/ grub screw method. then when I put on the bus bars it is almost impossible to make a mistake as the grub screw is sticking up there waiting to capture the bus bar for me. it worked well for me without any excitement. trying to screw bolts into a 4P8S battery is not recommended by me anyways, but each to their own with what works best for your battery builds.

I am just trying to relay what works well for me.

if I could get big strong tall terminals like the fortune cells in a 280 amp version for a reasonable price that would be great but I have yet to see that.

one year ago I paid $90.73 dollars for 272Ah Lishen cells including delivery etc to South Dakota. so paying $132.60 for the Eve LF280F cells including delivery is a huge price increase from one year ago. I did pay an additional 32 dollars to get an additional 32 nickel-plated copper bus bars so I received the double bus bars. so add $1 dollar per cell for the extra busbars.

$132.60 - $90.73 = $41.87 more per cell; 41.87/90.73 x 100 = a 46.148 percent price increase >>> inflation from less than 1 year ago over the Lishen cells which are even higher priced right now.

wow>>>> 46.14 percent inflation in 11 months!!!!!!!!!!

more later ?

the final box of cells is scheduled for December 1st, 2021 so that would be 84 days for delivery on the last 4 cells of the order. port delays, ups delays, FedEx delays, none directly attributed to the vendor in China. man I would not want to be a middleman seller on a group buy thing on this forum for nothing. not with unpredictable shipping times. I think it best to order directly yourself. why would anyone want the logistics headache?

cheers all ? it is a sunny calm day this morning November 30th, 2021, brisk with frost so the solar panels are happy in South Dakota. ?

well, the final box did not come today. FedEx is scheduled for tomorrow now(December 2nd 2021) I have had them do this several times, you wait for them and they finally show up 3-4 days later. dumped someplace in the driveway or on the other side of the house where no one usually goes. last year they would dump them out at the end of the driveway by the gravel road 100 yards from the house. at least most of them are now coming into the driveway up near the house! thanks to 5 loads of gravel!

{{{"""Unfortunately, your recent report has been rejected: Post in thread 'Eve LF280K 6000cycle rated for solar at .5C 32cell build' - No indication this is spam, and this member has stated his company affiliation in two places, they are a seller, not a 'fake member'}}}"""

ok>>> so evidently sellers can make comments because they are sellers to your threads if they claim a company affiliation.
I thought that it was spam so they are really just salespeople making their pitch???
word terminology is always going to get me --- the real meaning of the words???

one report was banned, one report was acceptable 50/50,
sorry if I thought 1 was a spamming fake member when in fact it was a china salesperson!

have a great day! ?

there is on you tuber "ray builds cool stuff" who has some good documentation on his LiFePO4 battery builds and his solar project!

Maybe I can set up a group buy to negotiate a good price. Have to have patient buyers as I can not absorb the huge price. and expect a 60 day wait for the delivery, due to customs and the slow boat ride. ?more later,
I think I would on second thought never do a group buy thing; as the middleman taking the money in between a very unpredictable shipping time, port unloading backed up delays, UPS delays, FedEx delays, custom clearance delays, etc. with the buyers being able to renigg after placing an order through a very unpredictable shipping logistics system.

I bought through Alibaba.com directly and there is a certain amount of guarantee through this system, but one is buying from a long way away with an awful long shipping time.

I think it is good to have people share their experiences of buying direct as some sellers may sell scammy 2nd hand used cells for a new price or a jacked-up price.

I have bought LiFePO4 cells through 2 different vendors in the past year, the 1st one seemed to disappear so I had to notify the credit card company, later the cells did arrive and I released the payment to them through the credit card company, but I would not recommend them. so say no more about the 1st vendor.
but due to the lack of attentiveness of the 1st vendor, I ended up ordering from a second different vendor, who was very attentive and provided ship tracking of my 32 cell Lishen order.

a long story short >>> I ended up with 64 cells Lishen 272Ah each. a bigger investment than I originally bargained for at year's end in 2020!
the second vendor I ordered from was Ryan Zeng. who was very attentive and the cells arrived in perfect condition, new cells, intact QR codes etc. he also provided ship's tracking information when I asked, so they pretty well know where their product is ---- they can't afford huge losses either.

this year 2021 I received an email from Ryan Zeng who now had an improved web page design ( so he has made efforts to improve his marketing)
At any rate now the Lishen cells cost more than the EVE cells and the newer version EVE LF280K cells are slightly heavier and had a 6000 cycle rating.... this is great for solar PV electric storage. so I ordered 32 cells of the EVE brand LF280K on September 8th, 2021.

the last 4 cells are scheduled to arrive today December 2nd, 2021 (maybe -- cross my fingers) but the other 28 cells have all arrived in perfect condition (7 boxes of 4 each).

More later, ?

there has been a 46 percent price increase in the past 11 months for LiFePO4 cells. inflation big time!

Last edited:
EVE LF280K LiFePO4 6000 cycle rated update:

All 32 cells arrived in excellent physical condition with the last box showing up yesterday December 2nd, 2021 via FedEx. I paid $128.75 per cell including shipping for a subtotal of $4120.00 dollars there was an extra fee Alibaba charged (124.19 tax/cc fees??) so $4243.19 was the ultimate cost, or $132.60 per cell delivered directly from China to my off-grid build in South Dakota USA (My second order from Ryan Zeng) I received new Grade A cells both times without incident.

I also added an additional 32 busbars for paralleling the cells for one dollar each.
Now I need to make up the cable interconnects, parts all here; but first I will connect them into sets of 4 cells in parallel for the 32 cell 4P8S LiFePO4 battery build.
More later,
I mounted two more solar panels to the array structure yesterday etc. (32 250-watt 60-cell used PV panels and counting mounted)
I will post pictures later as I get time, rather busy outside, etc with the great fall weather!
cheers all, have a great day! ?

I emailed Ryan Zeng to get more complete contact information.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Free-Shipping-US-STOCK-Deep-Cycle_1600319823720.html? spm=a2756.order-detail-ta-ta-s.0.0.68912fc2j1qIIj

the above link is from Ryan Zeng

further he states:

This is EVE LF280, which is a link containing the price of the U.S. warehouse and shipment from China.
1. Us warehouse: the goods are in transit. If everything goes well, it is expected to be available in two weeks. This will enable buyers in urgent need of batteries to provide faster transportation services.
2. Shipment from China, the current transportation time is about 2 months
At present, due to the coming of the new year, the continuous rise in the cost of raw materials and more factors, the price of batteries has also increased compared with before, and the inventory is very tight. According to previous years' experience, this situation may last until March to April next year. If any friends need it,can consult in advance and make a purchase plan.

and he also said to tell you this:

In addition, if you can, if your friends contact us through your sharing way, you can remind them to mention your name, so that we can better give the best discount and service.Thank you!

my name is Michael Clark >>>> in the forum I just used Michael D

seems like they have stock or have a shipment going to a USA warehouse for quicker delivery.

Ryan Zeng also said:

My personal contact email address is:admin@threecreating.com
Ryan

Ryan has always been very helpful and can communicate in good English. hope you have success in your LiFePO4 efforts. they also sell other things like BMS etc , I am using the Electrodacus SBMS0 on my 24-volt builds

cheers, Michael D ?

Last edited:
{{{"""Unfortunately, your recent report has been rejected: Post in thread 'Eve LF280K 6000cycle rated for solar at .5C 32cell build' - No indication this is spam, and this member has stated his company affiliation in two places, they are a seller, not a 'fake member'}}}"""
ok>>> so evidently sellers can make comments because they are sellers to your threads if they claim a company affiliation.
Yes, members affiliated with businesses will probably be scrutinized a bit harder/held to a higher standard, but have the same rights as any member to participate in any area of the forum. Commenting in a post is not considered spam or solicitation on its own. So long as they dont spam/self promote/solicit and participate in good faith. This last bit will always be somewhat of a grey area.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions/want clarifications, or have any issues going forward.

Yes, members affiliated with businesses will probably be scrutinized a bit harder/held to a higher standard, but have the same rights as any member to participate in any area of the forum. Commenting in a post is not considered spam or solicitation on its own. So long as they dont spam/self promote/solicit and participate in good faith. This last bit will always be somewhat of a grey area.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions/want clarifications, or have any issues going forward.
thanks for your input, I will try to understand the guidelines better and use the forum suggestions as best I can.

I changed my profile picture to show my off-grid home in the mountains of Bolivia. it is now on-grid the last 3 years but almost all done off-grid with generators, shovels, pickaxes, and wheelbarrows etc (the 1st 18 years); the good old hard fashioned way. waterwheel in the future there.

I do know from 30 years as a federal government supervisor that email and text is very impersonal system and messages can be taken wrong.
I do need to bite my tongue at times for sure.

I am currently doing a 32 cell 24-volt build with EVE LF280K cells, and adding 250-watt PV panels 2 at a time to my off-grid build in rural South Dakota. 32 PV panels mounted 48 more to go, to go, hi ho hi ho off to work we go!
cheers and thanks for your assistance /direction.?

Reactions: Dzl
EVE LF280K update: all cells arrived >>> sounds like more inflation is coming to the USA.... oh no!

LiFePO4 $4243 (dollars) for 28672Wh = $4243 for 28.67Kwh = $4243/28.67 = $147.99 per kWh for a new 32 cell 280Ah EVE LF280k with a 6000 cycle rating.

280Ah x 3.2 volts = 896Wh per cell; 32 cells X 896Wh per cell = 28672Wh; and note this is the calculation of potential capacity at 3.2 volts. most of the time they will be closer to 3.375 volts per cell when running in the flat part of the curve.

in a 4P8S configuration it will be a 1120Ah battery 280Ahx4 = 1120Ah. I don't plan to pull more than 300 amperes. but will use 4/0 battery cables to the inverter and 400Amp class T fuses.

mine run around 27 volts most of the time or slightly higher
27/8 = 3.375 volts .... the same as i wrote above.....
you do not run LiFePO4 cells at 3.65 volts (that is the maximum charge but in reality they should not be charged above 3.55 volts per cell which is 99 percent of full SOC (state of charge).

one will need a BMS and a few other parts, cables etc, but I wonder how the prebuilt 10k batteries with BMS for $3500 (dollars)makes any sense.

I will make battery interconnects with hydraulically crimped 2/0 cables and lugs for about 3 dollars each. I have to get exact prices on that for you later. I will use 28 of those so that is approximately $84 dollars more plus I order double bus bars for another $32 dollars.

the SBMS0 cost about $160 >>> have to look up the exact cost for you later.

so roughly 4243 + 84 + 32 +160 = $4519 including shipping and taxes or 4519/28.6 = $158.01 (dollars) per kWh

and some type of compression fixture for about an estimated 40 dollars or so using threaded rods and pex pipe cover over the threaded rods.

the equivalent prebuilt would cost $3500 x 2.87 = $10,045 dollars.
lots of money to be made by the overcharging corporations to promote these expensive pre-built batteries. some are a lot more than that.

I can see why they all want to promote them to get in on the fluff (excess profits)! at the pocket of the novices' expense! take out the 26-28 percent federal tax credit in the USA (I forget the current number federal tax credit percent --- sorry)? that is for tax time next year. ??

DIY build of LiFePO4 battery with prismatic cells still makes a lot more sense to me! ?

wow!!!!! think, I can buy some more tools with the savings by doing it myself!

an industrious DIY person could pocket 5000 dollars for every 32 cell build with the LF280K's if not more!

Last edited:
15.8 cents per Wh (Wh is the abreviation for Watt hour)

$158.01 divided by 1000 = .158 per Wh or approximately 16 cents per Wh.
1kWh = 1000Wh
hope this may help some to better understand the numbers,
some will no doubt say "duh"

don't let them mix apple and oranges.
I can not grow apples at my Bolivia mountain homestead (southern hemisphere) in the subtropics but oranges, and other citrus do great.
I can grow good apples at my South Dakota off-grid homestead though (in the northern hemisphere) but not oranges.

cheers all ?

I now have some grapevines growing on my long-distance Bolivia mountain getaway. the heavy-duty cage material around that grapevine was purchased to make cages for rocks to control the raging river next to the dam to feed the ram pump and irrigate etc on the (at that time) non-electric no grid available Bolivia mountain homestead. I been working on that project for 21 years now.
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-27 at 10.52.20 AM.jpeg

Last edited:
Bolivia Homestead.. now that sounds cool.. and very different from South Dakota. Are you building systems for both locations concurrently?

Bolivia Homestead.. now that sounds cool.. and very different from South Dakota. Are you building systems for both locations concurrently?
building an outside woodfired kitchen there right now(Bolivia). among other things...here's the start of the pizza oven. solar electric attempt was minimal with batteries and a too big 12 volt inverter years ago. wore out 3-4 generators, multiple wheel barrels etc in the remote mountain build on and on and on I could go about that 21-year project. ? a DIY project of unbelievable time involvement. no electricity the 1st 18 years working there; just noisy generators as needed for some things. candles and small kerosene lights for many years after dark in the remote mountain Bolivian Homestead aka Pilgrim Valley

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-11-12 at 5.53.40 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-11-12 at 5.53.40 AM.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 16
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-11-12 at 5.54.41 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-11-12 at 5.54.41 AM.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 16
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-11-12 at 6.35.22 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-11-12 at 6.35.22 AM.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 14
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-12-02 at 1.01.04 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-12-02 at 1.01.04 PM (1).jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 16
all wood has been cut on the farm there for forms for the concrete, wood fence posts 100 at a time 5"x5" x 8' feet or 9 feet long with a chainsaw. i have a gas-powered bandsaw sawmill now but have blade issues with it. probably made 3500 to 5000 hardwood fence posts, enough to make you cry about the real value of this hardwood! ? trying to keep it as natural as I can 2800 acres of mountains and trees and hardwood forest, 500 fruit trees planted 120-150 cattle etc. plowed with oxen and or horses when I 1st started there 21 years ago. a few grapevines now.
Bolivia import tax is 33 percent so best to buy within the country. tool import was very expensive at the airport. sorry about this as not really DIY solar but is a Huge DIY off-grid build. the electric grid came through about 3 years ago so it has 240-volt single phase grid electric upgrade. still want to finish the water wheel in the Molino and I have a 2-inch ram pump for water pumping off-grid. slow but sure..speeding up a bit the last 2 years though....

I ordered a YR1035+ to measure the resistance in milli Ohms of the battery and busbar connections. it should be arriving in a couple of weeks from China via AliExpress at a complete cost of $46.19 including shipping and tax.
the only problem I encountered early on was a connection not tightened down sufficiently . that was over a year ago and once all the connections on the 2P8s battery build were checked and re-snugged down there was no longer an issue.
the issue was an incorrect reading on the SBMS0.
as many had previously documented >>> do not overtighten the connections for some had stripped out a terminal hole in the Lishen 272Ah or EVE 280Ah cells. out of precaution I have always been careful not to do this!!!! likely the reason for a connection not being adequately tightened down on one connection over a year ago.
U8cbabe1a987e43f098ae25f72702c6c4H.jpg_50x50.jpg

I also purchased a 1/4 inch torque wrench to get the torque more correct too.
There is a man named Ray who has some interesting LiFePO4 assembly videos on YouTube "Ray builds cool stuff". he is setting up multiple 16 cell LiFePO4 batteries and does the measurement video demonstration of the busbar battery connection measurements with the above meter.
All my battery builds are 24-volt either 2P8S or 4P8S.
I am currently using the Electrodacus SBMS0 and Electrodacus DSSR20's for my 24-volt builds; but "Ray has a lot of useful information on his YouTube Videos.
I find I can glean some of the more useful information from several sources to get the best for my off-grid system for the long haul.
(do your research and you will be more satisfied with the final results)
I am cutting trees for better solar to the second row of south-facing solar PV panels..... man are those big cedar trees a pain in the hind end to cut up! slow but sure when the windy weather does not blow you away or the lightning (yesterday afternoon doesn't make you quit). strange December 15th weather this year. more snow overnight and ice of course! cheers all ?
I am not working in high winds or lightning... nothing that important to risk your life..... be safe in all you do this year and beyond!

Some suggestions before use:
Before the first use, always charge the cells to full voltage
The initial charge must be done with low current at max 0.5C - i.e. 50A for 100 Ah cell(usually suggest 0.1-0.2C)
Protect the cell terminals against dirt, damage and short-circuit
The cells must be monitored and protected against deep discharge and over charge
The charge and discharge must be carried under supervision

this is what my vendor from China wrote to me>>> the above;

EVE LF 280K weighing soon:
I ordered a more accurate scale for shipping, so I can also more accurately weigh the new EVE LF280K cells; more out of curiosity but trying to get more scientific and accurate in my off-grid solar adventure. 32 more cell battery capacity coming up!

I like the "off-grid solar factory" term for my solar power shed.
I need a bigger shed now!

A tool junky for sure; but I am likely ahead in buying tools over the lottery ticket gamblers. most tools (just like guns) do not lose their value and I can use them to build/repair all my stuff!

I think I will continue to invest in tools, solar, land, and real estate as I have been doing. ?

new Electrodacus SBMS0 and Electrodacus DSSR20's await me for this 32 cell build using the 4P8S configuration. I will get better pictures and measurements of my improved version and whys of what I am doing later.

good night all ?

parallel panels in groups of 2 for use with the Electrodacus DSSR20 solar charge controllers:

Dacian States:
You can have any combination of two parallel panels it can be that one panel is on one side of the roof paralleled with another panels from the other side of the roof and then connected to a DSSR20 or to a 32A breaker and then to SBMS40 or SBMS120 and there will be no issues with the two parallel panels receiving different amount of light.
Even if one panel is in full sun and the other inside the house in total darkness nothing will happen meaning no current will flow from one panel to another is just that you only get as much energy as the panel that is illuminated can produce.

I am using the Electrodacus SBMS0 as the BMS, and the Electrodacus DSSR20's for the charge controllers.
each Electrodacus DSSR20 has a 32 amp circuit breaker in my setup.

this BMS (Electrodacus SBMS0) works just fine to balance my 2P8S batteries composed of 16 Lishen 272Ah cells (1 SBMS0 for 16 cells), this BMS works just fine for my 4P8S battery composed of 32 Lishen 272Ah cells!

I am going to use the Electrodacus SBMS0 to charge the new 32 cell EVE LF280K cells rated at 6000 cycles as well in a 4P8S configuration.

so one BMS per 32 EVE LF280K cells!!!!! the groups of 4 cells paralleled 1st act as one battery. then the parallel groups of 4 cells are connected in series to make the 24-volt battery. actually 25.6-volts nominal. ( 3.2volts x 8cells = 25.6 volts).

my completed and cycling battery builds run close to 27 volts most of the time or more; never at the 3.2 volts per cell nominal that is quoted & used in cell voltage calculations.

each set of 4 cells connected in parallel first >>> then is connected to the next group of 4 cells with 4 series interconnections ( I am using 2/0 copper cables with hydraulically crimped lugs for these ). so that is 4 short 2/0 copper cables per each series interconnection!

it takes 28 of these short 2/0 copper cables with hydraulically crimped lugs to make the 4P8S battery.

then I have 4 hydraulically crimped 2/0 cables with tin-plated lugs connected to the positive end to a positive 1/4 thick copper busbar, and 4 hydraulically crimped 2/0 copper cables with tin-plated lugs.

I have not seen this exact method in the forum but the aim is the least resistance with the best possible election flow. this keeps the battery cells working together with only one Electrodacus SBMS0 to keep it balanced. no need for the current to flow through the BMS.

this was done to specification/direction from the electrical engineer (more or less). I likely beefed it up a notch as this is an 1120 Ah battery build. I will get pictures/diagrams to help you see /more clearly understand more later.

cheers all, time to go do some work for the hair sheep out in the pastures. feed hay now as they have minimal pasture until spring! ?

the fierce wind storm caused some issues with the solar panel arrays, so using a lever-action chain winch and some logs for wheels to re-adjust them back in line. also dug some wood fence posts in through the frozen ground to better anchor them in place. slow but sure in the cold.?

excuse any typos>>>> gotta go now

Last edited:
Back