diy solar

diy solar

Evergreen panel

BALLEN

I have a panel (see attached photo) and would like to use it with an all in one charger controller and battery. The panel VMP rating is 26.49v, should I look at using it with a 24v charger controller like the Growatt 24V SPF 3000TL LVM with 24v batteries?
I plan on adding more panels (total 800w) in the future.
Thanks, Brett (Newby)

Attachments

• IMG_1522.jpg
    IMG_1522.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 6
You're only going to realistically be able to feed a 12v system with that one panel. With the AIO units (and many MPPT controllers in general) you need battery voltage + 3-5v to even start charging. If you tried to use the single panel on a 24v system you would need perfect direct sun on it to even get to the 29v you'd need to start charging so you'd only feed the batteries between 28 and 31v in a PERFECT world. In reality that panel will always come up a couple volts short (Vmp of 26.5) of reaching the battery voltage, not to mention anything produced above that.

Now, using that panel on a 12v setup you only need about 17v so you'll be charging the batteries with anything between the 17v minimum and the 26.5v maximum, which is a pretty decent range.

If you got a 2nd panel (or more) you can start making series strings that make the MPPT controller happy and really get some juice flowing.

Does that make sense to anyone but me? :)

Back