diy solar

diy solar

Excess energy in off grid system

Dmturner1718

I am planning to go off grid. I will had a tesla battery system. Do I have to do something with the excess energy if the batteries are full. Do I need some type of dummy load and how would I switch over to it.

You don’t HAVE to burn up the extra energy, your charge controller will just stop putting it through to the battery. You can use the extra energy wisely. Do high draw chores while the battery is full but the sun is still shining. That way the “extra” power won’t be wasted

I am planning to go off grid. I will had a tesla battery system. Do I have to do something with the excess energy if the batteries are full. Do I need some type of dummy load and how would I switch over to it.
You have power source, the load will determine how much power it wants to draw from power source, for example the 120VAC 15A AC outlet in your house, it can supply up to 1800W to the load if needed, so if you only plug in 100W lamp into the socket, are you then wasting 1700W of power, of course not, with light loads then the buck converter in the SCC does not have to work very hard at all. You can increase the battery banks in store more power in case you do not have enough sun light to keep the batteries charge up. You can also use the excess power to heat up water system.

Do I have to do something with the excess energy

As others have noted, no need to divert energy with solar. But you may find it useful to do something with it:

* heat water
* pump water
* charge devices
* cook with electricity (rice cooker, crock pot, etc)

With wind power you need to do something with extra energy.

Hydro, too

As others have noted, no need to divert energy with solar. But you may find it useful to do something with it:

* heat water
* pump water
* charge devices
* cook with electricity (rice cooker, crock pot, etc)

Hydro, too
Why do you have too do something with Wind and Hydro?

<With wind power you need to do something with extra energy.>

Hydro, too

Wind turbines can over-speed and be damaged. A dump load would limit that, protect in some conditions. Higher winds, might need a brake or furling. If it was anemometer style "drag" device like split drums on vertical axis, speed wouldn't increase as much no-load but would still vary with wind speed.

Water turbine such as Pelton wheel produces peak power when velocity is 50% of water from nozzle; water direction is reversed and it gives up about 100% of its energy. Unloaded, would spin twice the RPM, probably no a problem.

In either case but especially wind turbine, need to ensure voltage produced doesn't exceed charge controller rating.

So I don't think hydro requires a load, but wind often does.

It is surprising how much extra power there is with a solar system. I heat all the house water with only excess PV, be it just a few watts or hundreds. It can be as short as just a few seconds, but it adds up over the day. Just random collection, hot water has lowest priority.

I just wanted to take the chill of water for the clothes washer in the garage as we do only cold water. Installed another 40 gallon tank I was given in the detached garage. Most times I have over 120F water and do all cycles with hot water. Some days 3 loads and it doesn't drops below 85F. This is after every house need is met. Never thought I had that much extra.

It is surprising how much extra power there is with a solar system.
extra solar...hehe... people always have very different setups and it certainly shapes they view point.
for example, I have a small place and consume about 50Kwh/day...so the first thing I thought reading the above was "Wow, that guy much have a huuuuggge solar panel farm to have extra power"

I used to work in hydro for the electric utility and you definitely have to have some way to divert the water when the unit trips off-line from the grid. The grid keeps the unit at it's synchronous speed (60 hz) no matter the load but once it's off-line the speed increases almost instantaneously up to 3 times it's normal speed. It's scary when you're standing nearby. A Pelton wheel has a diverter that pops up and diverts the stream until the flow can be shut off further up the pipe. A Francis turbine has wicket gates that close and allow the water to be bypassed until it can be shut off.

If you're off-grid you have a governor that controls the amount of water fed to the turbine to match it with the load the generator is seeing. If you lose load quickly, the same thing will happen (overspeed) and you need to divert water until it can be shut down.

A long time ago we had a unmanned unit where the control systems failed when it tripped and the unit eventually destroyed itself - flinging parts through the ceiling. Water is crazy powerful when it gets out of control.

It is surprising how much extra power there is with a solar system. I heat all the house water with only excess PV, be it just a few watts or hundreds. It can be as short as just a few seconds, but it adds up over the day. Just random collection, hot water has lowest priority.

I just wanted to take the chill of water for the clothes washer in the garage as we do only cold water. Installed another 40 gallon tank I was given in the detached garage. Most times I have over 120F water and do all cycles with hot water. Some days 3 loads and it doesn't drops below 85F. This is after every house need is met. Never thought I had that much extra.
Does anyone know of a company that can do the switching for the excess energy to the water heater or HVAC system? Maybe I should invent something to manager excess energy production. It is probably too expensive to justify cost versus convenience .

Does anyone know of a company that can do the switching for the excess energy to the water heater or HVAC system? Maybe I should invent something to manager excess energy production. It is probably too expensive to justify cost versus convenience .
Not quite sure what you want, but you canlook at thermocouples for exhaust ports. Short story is after I looked at these, they’re simply to expensive and produce so little power, you can never justify the cost unless you luck up on someone getting rid of one that has no idea what it is.

If you mean turning on a 500 watt space heater once your battery is low and energy production is down, than I’m sure if you new scripting that could be done pretty easy.

Most of us mere mortals just turn the propane fridge to electric mode after our batteries are charged, but I do end up regretting this when I forget. I’m sure there’s a way to automate that process.

I have a switch to signal gas furnace vs. electric duct heater. Not automated, but that's the plan for some day. Also controlling various optional loads with relays.

Regarding dumping for hydro - yes, that's done for big systems. I think for a 100W micro-hydro with fixed nozzles, in most cases you can just let it run at 2x RPM when there is no electric load. If such high head that it turns over 50% of max rated RPM normally, then dump load or water control might be needed.

Making hydrogen and/or making chlorine gas could be applications for surplus power. Filtering the pool would be another (for which I hoped to make the VFD well-behaved.)

Not quite sure what you want, but you canlook at thermocouples for exhaust ports. Short story is after I looked at these, they’re simply to expensive and produce so little power, you can never justify the cost unless you luck up on someone getting rid of one that has no idea what it is.

If you mean turning on a 500 watt space heater once your battery is low and energy production is down, than I’m sure if you new scripting that could be done pretty easy.

Most of us mere mortals just turn the propane fridge to electric mode after our batteries are charged, but I do end up regretting this when I forget. I’m sure there’s a way to automate that process.
Thanks for the reply. If I come up with anything that is automatic I will post it here.

When solar battery becomes full, it will stop absorbing power from the solar system. However, solar panels will continue to generate voltage, but that voltage will not be used or stored until there is available energy demand, or battery space.

extra solar...hehe... people always have very different setups and it certainly shapes they view point.
for example, I have a small place and consume about 50Kwh/day...so the first thing I thought reading the above was "Wow, that guy much have a huuuuggge solar panel farm to have extra power"
That is what a lot of people think. Fact is you have to have excess solar in order to recover from bad days. I can guarantee that you have no idea what your solar system is doing all day. I have a small system and at any time, 2/3 of my panels are in shade and I don't remember ever seeing more than 600W total being produced by the array at any one time.

To directly answer the question, the charge controller will "open circuit" the solar panels when the battery is full and if there is no AC load through the inverter. The voltage in the panels will climb a little higher, but no current will flow, and as a result no power will flow. Power = volts x amps.

My Sol-Ark all in one charge controller inverter has a built-in dedicated/controlled AC output that comes on only when the batteries reach an ajustable charge level. I didn't know that going in, but it is a very handy extra. By most accounts Sol-Ark's are a little pricey, but there are lots of plusses with them.

Batteries are now the cheapest way to store energy. The 280ah cells are almost 1kwh of energy storage each and are $100+shipping. A normal hot water tank can store like 6 kwh of energy if filled with cold water and heated all the way up which much of the time isn't realistic because it is already heated. So adding a second tank makes batteries cheaper.

A normal hot water tank can store like 6 kwh of energy if filled with cold water
What's a normal tank? And what temperature differential?

From a cold start (e.g. 10C) a 320 litre tank requires about 20kWh to raise water temp to spec (60C).

Does anyone know of a company that can do the switching for the excess energy to the water heater or HVAC system?
In Australia we have several solar PV diverters for hot water systems:

I'd imagine similar would be available where you are.

Back