diy solar

diy solar

Excessive electricity from panels

Begginer7

Hi, I am getting a super high reading in my scc and wanted to ask how does it make make sense, the system is one 410w panel, epever 40a scc mppt, 1 sok 12v 100ah battery, giandel 1000w 12v inverter.

The scc is showing on a daily basis around 25kwh beign generated, if I am correct this is 25 000 wh, since the battery has 1200 wh its filling up really fast and staying at 100% all day. First I wanted to ask is even possible to get 25000 wh from a 410w panel? If the reading is correct then does this pose any risks? What should I do to avoid them? I saw a video that said that the scc can burn because of this is this true? Can I just cover half of the panel to lower this?

The Solar Electricity Handbook has for my location a 8.22 kwh per m2, 8.22kwh/m2 x 410w=33700 is this the right calculation?Screenshot_20220614-011935_Viber.jpg

I am attaching a picture of the scc.

Yeah, that number can't be right, maybe it's a firmware bug and the decimal is in the wrong spot or something.

I have 2 big 100a Victron charge controllers with 4s 405w solar panels on each PV circuit (8 panels total) feeding each charge controller to a 22 KWh battery, and I am getting about 9.5 KWh charge per day on each controller.

Perhaps you can contact Epever Support and show them what you're seeing and see if they can explain it with a known issue or something.

Hi, I am getting a super high reading in my scc and wanted to ask how does it make make sense, the system is one 410w panel, epever 40a scc mppt, 1 sok 12v 100ah battery, giandel 1000w 12v inverter.

The scc is showing on a daily basis around 25kwh beign generated, if I am correct this is 25 000 wh, since the battery has 1200 wh its filling up really fast and staying at 100% all day. First I wanted to ask is even possible to get 25000 wh from a 410w panel? If the reading is correct then does this pose any risks? What should I do to avoid them? I saw a video that said that the scc can burn because of this is this true? Can I just cover half of the panel to lower this?

The Solar Electricity Handbook has for my location a 8.22 kwh per m2, 8.22kwh/m2 x 410w=33700 is this the right calculation?View attachment 98499

I am attaching a picture of the scc.
Ok first question.

Did you connect the solar controller to the battery first and then to the solar panels? If not that could be the issue and it send the solar controller haywire.

I would disconnect the system, panels first and then the battery, wait a few minutes then reconnect the solar controller to the battery. You will then see the battery voltage. Then connect the solar panel.

Even though it says kwh, it is actually watts. I have the same controller.

Ok first question.

Did you connect the solar controller to the battery first and then to the solar panels? If not that could be the issue and it send the solar controller haywire.

I would disconnect the system, panels first and then the battery, wait a few minutes then reconnect the solar controller to the battery. You will then see the battery voltage. Then connect the solar panel.
I think yes, however the wires had to be reconfigured due to a mistake on the wiring of the battery monitor and I am not sure if then the panels were shut off. But I have videos that show this high values even before this. Thanks for your advice its worth trying it.

This is mine right now at 6.30, no direct sun with 1600 watts of solar panels. Trust me, you are not producing that much pv.

Attachments

• IMG_20220613_183206.jpg
    IMG_20220613_183206.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 7
Even though it says kwh, it is actually watts. I have the same controller

But does this make sense?, if its watts then its producing 24.5 watts per hour, so over the day 24.5x12= 294wh, no too low, it might be 245×12= 2940wh, makes more sense.

First, it is not over a day. It is over a appx 5 hr period. Second when was this checked, at midday with best sun, probably not. Third was your batteries in float mode or fully charged? Pv will only come through your controller if batteries need to be charged. Or 4. You have a problem.

I agree the number must be wrong.
Check it at best sun angle with your batteries a 50 to 75 percent charge to see what it is really collecting. I have seen mine close to 1600 watts when batteries are low and need charging. Remember that is at best 5 to 7 hours per day.

First, it is not over a day. It is over a appx 5 hr period. Second when was this checked, at midday with best sun, probably not. Third was your batteries in float mode or fully charged? Pv will only come through your controller if batteries need to be charged. Or 4. You have a problem.
2. Actually this number does not change much during the day so yes it was also measured at best sun. But something that is weird is that the value doesn't change to 0 even at night time, note the small moon on the screen.
Screenshot_20220614-025247_Viber.jpg

3. I can only say the battery monitor was showing 100% but I do not know how to say the difference between float and fully charged, how can I disti guish this?,
4. It might be the case as I am having the inverter alarm ringing and resetting a while after the battery reaches 100%, so far I thought its the battery bms causing it but this might be a new clue.

Check it at best sun angle with your batteries a 50 to 75 percent charge to see what it is really collecting. I have seen mine close to 1600 watts when batteries are low and need charging. Remember that is at best 5 to 7 hours per day.
This is not the case with mine this number is not changing a lot whether batteries are full ot empty. Is this the sign of a problem?

This is not the case with mine this number is not changing a lot whether batteries are full ot empty. Is this the sign of a problem?
Ok, you have a problem. Are the wires connected correctly ? Battery and panels? + and -? Do you have a ammeter/ clamp meter? Can you check the voltage across your panel wires? What is it? Now disconnect your pv panel wires, check voltage accross pv wires, what is the reading? What is your epever settings 12 or 24 volt system settings? Do you have your parameters set at12 or24 volts? What is tbe battery voltage? While panels are disconnected , attach battery wires first and then pv wires, anything change? If you have a clamp meter check the pv wires for dc amperage to see what it is registering in full sun. Batteries at 50 to 75 percent to verify that it will charge. Full batteries will not charge. Fyi, sometimes controller will show some volts with moon out but will show no amps. Let us know what you find out.

Ok, you have a problem. Are the wires connected correctly ? Battery and panels? + and -? Do you have a ammeter/ clamp meter? Can you check the voltage across your panel wires? What is it? Now disconnect your pv panel wires, check voltage accross pv wires, what is the reading? What is your epever settings 12 or 24 volt system settings? Do you have your parameters set at12 or24 volts? What is tbe battery voltage? While panels are disconnected , attach battery wires first and then pv wires, anything change? If you have a clamp meter check the pv wires for dc amperage to see what it is registering in full sun. Batteries at 50 to 75 percent to verify that it will charge. Full batteries will not charge. Fyi, sometimes controller will show some volts with moon out but will show no amps. Let us know what you find out.
I dont have available a clamp meter only a voltimeter, yes the parameters are for 12V and bat. Is 12v: IMG-5116e76fe9616514139cfe40feb2d406-V.jpg
Something weird happened during the installation, the mcb that I am using as an on off switch for the panels was not cutting off so I asked an electrician who told me to ignore the signs and connect them straight:
IMG-ef06cee1e1496183b0666e095f68a04b-V.jpg

What happened during the install? Ok, with the volt meter, check your volts when you have good sun, with the switch off not connected to your controller. Wonder during tbe install if something got fried? With your 400 watt panel, do you remember what the voc was? 34 to 40 volts? See if it reads that when you check it tomorrow with good sun. Make sure that your volt meter is turned to dc.

What happened during the install? Ok, with the volt meter, check your volts when you have good sun, with the switch off not connected to your controller. Wonder during tbe install if something got fried? With your 400 watt panel, do you remember what the voc was? 34 to 40 volts? See if it reads that when you check it tomorrow with good sun. Make sure that your volt meter is turned to dc.
When we wired the mcb as the sign shοw, that is crossed positive from left to right and neg. from right to left the mcb would not switch the panels off, it only worked when we installed it as its shown in the picture. The voc of the panel as per the manual, never tested is 48V. The scc is showing numbers close to this.

So it is showing 48 volts by controller and the volt meter? What does it show as far as amps? And still only 24 watts? Is the battery fully charged? So you basically reversed the + and - on the controller?

So it is showing 48 volts by controller and the volt meter? What does it show as far as amps? And still only 24 watts? Is the battery fully charged? So you basically reversed the + and - on the controller?
I have not tested with voltmeter, at the moment is night time here, if the mcb does not work as we wired it it would mean that we are shorting the panel connecting the pos with the neg. but note that actually the battery is charging very fast so I dont think is generating only 24W.

something that is weird is that the value doesn't change to 0 even at night time, note the small moon on the screen.
The Epevers do have a “thing” that summarizes production and output from the setable output contacts. That might what you’re seeing. IIRC there is nothing else that should show kWh besides the production input and ‘load’ terminals.

I have not tested with voltmeter, at the moment is night time here, if the mcb does not work as we wired it it would mean that we are shorting the panel connecting the pos with the neg. but note that actually the battery is charging very fast so I dont think is generating only 24W.
It will only work if the positive and negative are connected correctly. Epever units are pretty resilient but they have to be connected properly to work.

Back