diy solar

diy solar

Existing power converter

nqSupes

Hi folks,

My wife and I have a 90's era 5th wheel that we'd like to put solar on and convert over to LiFePo4 batteries eventually.

Been watching many of Will Prowse's videos and browsing the forums here. Something I haven't seen covered is using an existing power converter/fuse block. Could I hook the power converter and hook it to the AC output from an inverter or all-in-one system?

I've attached a picture of my converter in case it might be helpful.IMG_5836.JPG

An all-in-one inverter-charger would simply replace that dinosaur Magnetek converter.
The solar would charge the battery direct through the controller. Some all-in-one also have a built in solar controller.
Or a replacement converter could charge the battery direct with far better speed and control when connected to a generator or utility power.

all-in-one inverter-charger would simply replace that dinosaur
I’m using the tiny LV1012-MK right now. Awesome little unit.

If ya got a decent-sized unit (3500W?) that would be better. The MPPSolar units like mine have pretty robust built-in chargers if you need to grid-charge or use a generator.

I hate those converters anyway- they can be incredibly inefficient (all that heat they put out) and RV solar hates converters because of that.

So if I used one of those units, or something like it, could I wire the AC output to my existing fuse block or should I wire up a new one?
The new unit would be integrated into the existing 120vac/12vdc distribution panel. This is not the same as just plugging the main cord into the inverter.

Yes the 120v side would connect to the inverter. The inverter would have a 12v connection that goes direct to the battery. The existing converter would be removed from the panel. The 12v side of the panel would remain connected to the battery to power the lights etc. through the existing system.

I've attached a picture of my converter in case it might be helpful.
This brand of ac/dc distribution panel is a little odd.
If you look behind the dc fuse panel I think you will find a relay between the converter fed circuits and the acc circuits.
Feel free to post a picture if unsure.

There are 2 wires landed 1 of the branch fuses.
I don't like that.

Unfortunately the converter and receptacles are on the same breaker.

So, posting here has taught me one thing for sure. I know just enough to be dangerous but not enough to understand all the answers to questions I might ask. Heh...I've got some more reading and researching to do. At any rate it's not a project that is supposed to happen soon anyhow. Thanks folks.

So, posting here has taught me one thing for sure. I know just enough to be dangerous but not enough to understand all the answers to questions I might ask. Heh...I've got some more reading and researching to do. At any rate it's not a project that is supposed to happen soon anyhow. Thanks folks.
Yes. Please post the equipment before you click and buy. Less money and headache to work things out before spending money.

Ask more questions… it’s ok
Will do. I need to get back into the trailer to see what I can see.
Yes. Please post the equipment before you click and buy. Less money and headache to work things out before spending money.
Of course. Still researching at the moment but leaning towards a 12 volt all in one unit, a 200 amp hour lifepo4 battery and (for starters) 200 watts of solar panels.

at the moment but leaning towards a 12 volt all in one unit, a 200 amp hour lifepo4 battery and (for starters) 200 watts of solar panels.
I love my MPPSolar 1012LV-MK but even though its idle consumption is reasonably low- components are yet lower. But in s camper it’s probably the best all around solution for small solar.

For 200Ah I’m thinking 400W of panels might be a more reasonable minimum imho

I love my MPPSolar 1012LV-MK....
It has a 1000 Watt inverter, correct? Without doing a power audit I'm guessing 1500 to 2000 is what might work better for my wife and I.

My (suspected) needs make me wonder if an all-in-one might not work for me. I've not yet found one with a 1500 watt inverter and was 12 volt.
For 200Ah I’m thinking 400W of panels might be a more reasonable minimum imho
I may only go with 100 Ah for the near term and later add another battery and some more solar.

100 Ah is a bit light for 2000w inverter. Mine is all separate components. Works fine.
I agree 2000w is about minimum to run large items (one at a time) for a short duration. Microwave, hair dryer, coffee, etc. otherwise 300 to 500 watts is fine for small stuff.

It has a 1000 Watt inverter, correct? Without doing a power audit I'm guessing 1500 to 2000 is what might work better for my wife and I.
I run a fridge, coffeemaker, and if I quick-cycle the switch: my shopvac. The 1200W Giandel tan shopvac fine.

Why do you suspect you need more? Bigger load stuff?

I have a separate 2000W pure sine Reliable next to the AIO or the 1200W in a box if I need more. The AIO is so easy and the shorepower handling and built-in charger makes it hard to beat imho

I run a fridge, coffeemaker, and if I quick-cycle the switch: my shopvac. The 1200W Giandel tan shopvac fine.

Why do you suspect you need more? Bigger load stuff?

I have a separate 2000W pure sine Reliable next to the AIO or the 1200W in a box if I need more. The AIO is so easy and the shorepower handling and built-in charger makes it hard to beat imho

Partly from recommendations on Will's site and I suspect that the microwave mounted in the trailer is 1000 watts. I need to pull it out to see as nothing is marked inside the door. I'd like to have some wiggle room with a 2000 watt inverter, but maybe that's not really needed.

Back