diy solar

diy solar

Existing Solar PV system needs to install battery

@12VoltInstalls , would you recommend any particular AiO inverter so I can look in to this.

Thank you
Umm. I know MPPSolar (which seems to be great quality at the prices offered) has 240V stuff.
I’m in USA and buy 120VAC stuff so I have no other data on 240V models to run with.

Inverter is the wrong terminology.
An AIO is often erroneously referred to as an inverter but it is an inverter/charger with a transfer switch and SCC built into an All In One case.

Last edited:
then i personally let the tarriff go...
You won’t have any changes to your existing system because in the above scenario everything will be ‘behind’ the consumer distribution just like your lights, toaster oven, vehicle charger, electric heater or whatever. There is nothing for them to regulate with a “0-second” transfer AIO that does not feed back to the grid, just your loads
if rules are anything like here or in australian, you cannot add generation, and changes in usage are monitored hard.

best chance OP has, is to call them, ask permission for replacement of his current inverter .
changes will be noticed, but will be done of with "new generation and optimized inverter".

these contracts in general leave -0- room, and when done without proper approval, OP runs the risk of being charged for theft

You are current G98 for Solar PV with FITS
If you change inverters to Hybrid you need to inform your DNO with documentation again for new inverter, Form D to Decommission the existing inverter, plus inform your FIT provider
Ending contract. … Do you really want to go down this avenue?

Simply apply for new application with G99 Fast Track for more generation and battery storage,

G98 only covers <16.8A with extra inverter and battery storage G99 Fast Track >16.8A
Total 32.6A with G100 device to limit export control to<16.8A

Look at the G99 document which you can download and use the applicable application form and email to DNO.

ENA G98 & G99 Type Tested inverters are required check the site for your specific inverter which will have Specific ENA Serial Number to enter in the New Application;
Which includes entering your existing installation details aswell.

You can do the new application or installer
who might charge you.

Battery Storage does not require MCS certification so a CPS qualified electrician can connect up to the house,

The new Sunsynk 3.6kW Hybrid use with batteries without solar or with solar
If the original solar inverter breaks down you can just notify DNO of replacement which is ENA G98 compliant and use with various batteries

Check YouTube for the Sunsynk 3.6Hybrid

The new Sunsynk 3.6kW Hybrid use with batteries without solar or with solar
If the original solar inverter breaks down you can just notify DNO of replacement which is ENA G98 compliant and use with various batteries

Check YouTube for the Sunsynk 3.6Hybrid
all sunsynk inverter will do this...
3.6 might be a bit small in most use cases

It’s just for Batteries meets G99 Fast Track <32A which should be straightforward application plus Batteries do no require MSC certification an CPS qualified electrician can do the install with reduced cost

Plus as prices rise with inflation the Hybrid slightly more expense but if his old solar inverter breaks he has AIO to do both Sokar and batteries informing his DNO of straight swop as per his obligation under current G98

Bigger inverter over >16.8A requires Full G99
with ELS to support Export Conrol for only <16.8A unless he wants to incur additional DNO expense to have a larger inverter for batteries.

It’s just for Batteries meets G99 Fast Track <32A which should be straightforward application plus Batteries do no require MSC certification an CPS qualified electrician can do the install with reduced cost

Plus as prices rise with inflation the Hybrid slightly more expense but if his old solar inverter breaks he has AIO to do both Sokar and batteries informing his DNO of straight swop as per his obligation under current G98

Bigger inverter over >16.8A requires Full G99
with ELS to support Export Conrol for only <16.8A unless he wants to incur additional DNO expense to have a larger inverter for batteries.
ah, country specific rules..
in essence preventing one to be come indepedant or reliant from the grid

ah, country specific rules..
in essence preventing one to be come indepedant or reliant from the grid
Early adopters in the UK were offered very generous feed in rates to subsidise the high installation costs at the time.

Making changes to those systems now would invlaidate that rate, so they'd only receive the current standard feed in rates.

Early adopters in the UK were offered very generous feed in rates to subsidise the high installation costs at the time.

Making changes to those systems now would invlaidate that rate, so they'd only receive the current standard feed in rates.
every pro has it's con and visa versa...

They were very generous. A friend of mine is getting around 80p/kWh (linked to inflation). He'd like to upgrade his system with batteries and more panels, but he's tied in to the rate for 25 years. He'd only get around 15p/kWh if he changed anything.

However, it is getting to the stage where the additional savings from using batteries is close to making it worthwhile him upgrading.

I've contacted a solar installer and he is recommending a 12.9 kwh Fox Energy Cube with a Fox ESS 5 kW inverter.

Has anyone had any experience with this kit and are there any opinions of it.

Last edited:
I've contacted a solar installer and he is recommending a 12.9 kwh Fox Energy Cube with a Fox ESS 5 kW inverter.

Has anyone had any experience with this kit and are there any options of it.
Cost ?
Do you need that much battery?
How will you charge it ?

I have solar panels already as per my initial post.

I did ask the installer for this setup...
Just waiting to hear back on cost.
IMG-20230228-WA0057.jpg

Back