diy solar

diy solar

Expanding 48V LFP Bank later

Shimmy

Solar Wizard
Is there a practical approach to expanding a 48V server rack battery in the future? It's looking like I will need to phase my battery bank over the course of 12-18 months (first purchase to second purchase). The original batteries could have up to 200 cycles (equivalent) by the time the new battery is added. I would start with 400Ah and double it with the second purchase if it is viable.

If you are only using them as a "dumb" battery and not relying on it communicating with the rest of your system then there should be no issues. If you are relying on communication between the batteries and/or the rest of the system it seems there has been some hiccups with newer versions of the batteries not being able to talk to the older ones because of design/software changes.

Which server rack battery were you thinking of?

Which server rack battery were you thinking of?
Not fully resolved, eFlex and EG4-LL have been my top contenders. UL Listing is important to me, so eFlex has a leg up.

The eFlex seems like a more stable product in terms of internal components and interoperability, but their manual specifically advises against mixing batteries of different manufacturing lots.

Doesn't mean mix-n-match would work any better with a different brand that doesn't say not to!
Obviously discharge current could come more from one than the other. So long as your peak current doesn't exceed what one is rated for, then it is about how they wear.

Back