diy solar

diy solar

Expected output - Suaoki 120W foldable solar panel

OffGrid-BL

Hey everyone,

Quick question for you. I’m dipping my toes into solar with a 120 Watt foldable solar panel from Suaoki, and charging a Bluetti 240 with it.

But the output is just terrible... only getting 60-70 watts in direct sunlight in Southern California. I’ve tried different cables with mixed results but nothing ever above 69 watts on the Bluetti digital display.

So my first thought... this Suaoki solar panel is only putting out 50% - 60% of what it claims it can. And it feels like I got ripped off.

Before I return it, can anyone let me know if this is normal to get only 60-70 watts from a 120 watt solar panel in direct sunlight? Or if there is some other reason for the efficiency loss (maybe it’s Bluetti, maybe the cables)?

Please post a link to the particular panel you bought.

Angle to the sun is pretty important so check that the sun is square onto the panel when it's highest in the sky. You can check this by placing a tin on the panel and adjusting the panel so that the tin casts the smallest amount of shadow. With the battery in some state of discharge and/or a load of more than 120 watts on the Bluetti you will then see the maximum power you can obtain from the panel, in your location.

Sure, here’s the link. they removed the 120W option and now only have the 100W.

And yes, it was in direct sunlight, perpendicular to the mid day sun, with all panels unblocked and recently wiped clean. So in theory it should have been producing close to 120W.

But really I’m just asking a general question. Is it common for portable solar panels to lose 40% to 50% of their stated output when charging a portable power station, or is this one a dud?

I assumed there’s going to be some efficiency loss but was estimating about 15% less than capacity, not 40% - 50% less.

No, if the power power station can handle the wattage and volts on it's input and there is enough load to send the power to (battery is charging, some device being powered etc) you should get more percentage than that at peak sun time IMO. I'm going with the panel ratings were overstated.

Yeah I had that feeling. Appreciate the response, I think it's time for a return.

Back