diy solar

diy solar

(Expert opinions) InstallGear 1/0 AWG Gauge Gold Ring Set Screw Battery Ring Terminals

BTW - here's the link without all of the tracking junk: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AW17SNO

I wouldn't go near those things.

- They seem to be gold plated brass and possibly coated with clear plastic (insulator - bad). Use pure copper, possibly tinned, lugs.

- A set screw? That can't be nearly as good as a proper crimp.

- A few reviews and pictures point out the possible need to place washers on the stud between these lugs and the mating surface. That's a big no no. You must have direct contact between the lug and mating surface. You do not want washers in the electrical path.

- $4 per lug. Ouch. Though if you only need a few I guess that's cheaper than having to buy crimpers of some sort. Though I got by just fine with the $20 hammer lug crimper for my 1/0AWG wires.

Ok thats good info. I thought I had read they are pure copper with gold plating, the coating could be removed to get to a clean surface. Also for 1/0 you would not have any inserts as it would be straight 1/0 wire into socket which is the biggest conductor that will fit.

I wasn't sure using a hammer lug crimper would be a good alternative, I wasn't looking to buy a dedicated crimper for a one time use.

Let me ask, I am going to need to splice 6ga copper wire to a 10ga Mc4 Y adapter, what would be the best spice to use for that?

Also for 1/0 you would not have any inserts as it would be straight 1/0 wire into socket
What inserts are you referring to?

I wasn't sure using a hammer lug crimper would be a good alternative
Worked great for me but I used it in a vise instead of pounding on it with a hammer.

Let me ask, I am going to need to splice 6ga copper wire to a 10ga Mc4 Y adapter, what would be the best spice to use for that?
If you need 6AWG wire due to high current then you are likely well above the max current rating of the MC4 connector. You should be looking at using a combiner box, not MC4 connectors of any kind.

What inserts are you referring to?
I believe there are different inserts to use with different gauge wires. Here are the actual ones I said that were pure copper, they are also sized according to wire gauge.

Worked great for me but I used it in a vise instead of pounding on it with a hammer.
IProbably should just break down and buy a crimper
If you need 6AWG wire due to high current then you are likely well above the max current rating of the MC4 connector. You should be looking at using a combiner box, not MC4 connectors of any kind.
Its not for current its for the distance I need to place my panels, I was able to find 6ga welding cable for similar cost if not cheaper then 8ga solar cables,

Last edited:
I believe there are different inserts to use with different gauge wires. Here are the actual ones I said that were pure copper, they are also sized according to wire gauge.

IProbably should just break down and buy a crimper

Its not for current its for the distance I need to place my panels, I was able to find 6ga welding cable for similar cost if not cheaper then 8ga solar cables,

Welding cable is not rated for sun exposure. If it's in the sun, use PV rated cable.

If you increase the voltage coming out of the PV, then you may not need such large cable.

Welding cable is not rated for sun exposure. If it's in the sun, use PV rated cable.

If you increase the voltage coming out of the PV, then you may not need such large cable.
Yes thanks for the heads-up, the cables with be inside UV rated poly hose. I know its a little overkill but trying to find 8ga solar cable is hard right now and whats out there cost just as much if not more than this 6ga. I got this at a real good price with no tax or shipping cost.

Back