diy solar

diy solar

Exploding Delta Pros

G4RNI

To date I've experienced two exploding Delta Pro's and looking at the forums of Dringlord, I'm not alone here.
The catastrophic failures occured in pass through (EPS) mode when with one the 230V (UK) output stopped. Trying to switch it back on led to a loud crack, a bright flash inside the top of the unit and smoke bellowing out. The second failure just "happened" whilst the unit was powering a couple of laptops. A loud crack and flash followed by smoke belching out. Both units displayed error code 121 and both have been replaced by Ecoflow,
Again, referring to Dringlord's site I'm one of a growing band who've had this dreadfully scary experience. At least one other user has had multiple Delta Pros go the same way.
Advice received was to ensure the very latest software version (1.0.0.96) is installed and there we have another anonmally: I have a total of FIVE Delta Pro's (not all in the same building) and NONE use any kind of external wizardry for switching. They only supply dedicated wall sockets for specific item so there's absolutely no chance of neutral grounding causing the issue (see Will Prowse's experience). When I now check the firmware every unit tells me it needs to be upgraded from v 0.3.6 to v 0.4.8 and there's no such animal! Even attempting to do this completely anomalous update results in the units simply disconnecting from my router(s) and flatly refusing to reconnect.
So something is wrong that certainly needs to be addressed. Ecoflow's update from v 1.0.0.89 to 1.0.0.96 was supposed to, in the words of Ecoflow, "optimise" the 121 error (whatever optimise means in this situation) and associated failures but who knows? What on earth does v 0.3.6 or 0.4.8 mean?
The plot thickens but you can see the thoughts of others here: https://www.dringlord.com/en/2022/07/07/deltapro-firmware-10096/

Last edited:
Based on several help request Threads here on this Forum about EcoFlow Delta pro power packs, and now your experience, I would say that it is a product to avoid.
Thanks Matt, I'm inclined to agree with you. In fact, I believe it's now at the stage Ecoflow ought to recall every unit, refund every buyer and get them right before releasing them onto the market again. I'm afraid that as owner of five (seventeen grand's worth) of these with a 40% failure rate I could not recommend the Ecoflow Delta Pro to anyone. I'm hugely disappointed in my purchases and indeed I'm afraid to use them in EPS mode which is the main reason for buying them.
I now completely power them down if I'm out of the place and have installed a smoke alarm in their location along with CO2 fire extinguishers, that's how afraid I am of them.
Ecoflow, stop trying to patch things up, get your finger out and put this issue right!

George

Last edited:
What on earth does this update mean? From v 0.3.6 to 0.4.8? The last update was from 1.0.0.89 to 1.0.0.96 and was supposed to "optimise" the 121 error and resultant calamity.

If I try to do this update the progress bar leaps to 100% and a "CONNECT" message appears. When I try to connect, the unit refuses to do so. I've found, after over 2 hours of trying, to leave the unit alone and it then reconnects but the firmware message remains the same.

This Delta Pro fiasco is absolutely absurd! AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!!!

(BTW, I'm a retired instrumentaion technician in the energy industry so I'm pretty conversant with twiddling with gear, settings etc.)

1659284358570.png

Thanks Matt, I'm inclined to agree with you. In fact, I believe it's now at the stage Ecoflow ought to recall every unit, refund every buyer and get them right before releasing them onto the market again. I'm afraid that as owner of five (seventeen grand's worth) of these with a 40% failure rate I could not recommend the Ecoflow Delta Pro to anyone. I'm hugely disappointed in my purchases and indeed I'm afraid to use them in EPS mode which is the main reason for buying them.
I now completely power them down if I'm out of the place and have installed a smoke alarm in their location along with CO2 fire extinguishers, that's how afraid I am of them.
Ecoflow, stop trying to patch things up, get your finger out and put this issue right!

George
Hey George,
Just responding here in reference to your post above and to link my thread (https://diysolarforum.com/threads/e...wn-so-far-doubting-product-reliability.43920/ ) to yours. (Thanks for posting over there.
I guess you could characterize my failure rate as more than 100%. Both of my initial EcoFlow Pro units went down and one of the replacements also stopped working. Ive seen a total of 5 different units and 3 stopped working, so perhaps that's a 60% failure rate.

Ironically, the first of my non-functional units was returned back to me, still not working, but behaving differently than when I sent it back. No one at EcoFlow knows or would tell me why / how the unit was sent back to me (the weren't replying for several days). I presumed the incoming unit was a replacement unit for he second broken Delta pro. Despite them sending my first replacement to the correct address and me telling them I've moved (repeatedly), this unit was sent to my old address. Thinking it was a functional replacement, I arranged my schedule to get back to where I just moved from (3hr drive from where I am now)) and arranged to have it held at Fed Ex. Needless to say, I wasn't happy when I figured out what had happened. Telephone customer service was unwilling to troubleshoot at all, as that unit would simply put itself into standby mode within a few seconds of being turned out. (I lugged it around until I could get back home and had it sent back from there.)

I would gladly accept a refund if I could return everything I bought (2 Delta Pros, 4 extra batteries, 2 400W solar panels and everything in between.) I don't see that coming, however.

-S

Hey George,
Just responding here in reference to your post above and to link my thread (https://diysolarforum.com/threads/e...wn-so-far-doubting-product-reliability.43920/ ) to yours. (Thanks for posting over there.
I guess you could characterize my failure rate as more than 100%. Both of my initial EcoFlow Pro units went down and one of the replacements also stopped working. Ive seen a total of 5 different units and 3 stopped working, so perhaps that's a 60% failure rate.

Ironically, the first of my non-functional units was returned back to me, still not working, but behaving differently than when I sent it back. No one at EcoFlow knows or would tell me why / how the unit was sent back to me (the weren't replying for several days). I presumed the incoming unit was a replacement unit for he second broken Delta pro. Despite them sending my first replacement to the correct address and me telling them I've moved (repeatedly), this unit was sent to my old address. Thinking it was a functional replacement, I arranged my schedule to get back to where I just moved from (3hr drive from where I am now)) and arranged to have it held at Fed Ex. Needless to say, I wasn't happy when I figured out what had happened. Telephone customer service was unwilling to troubleshoot at all, as that unit would simply put itself into standby mode within a few seconds of being turned out. (I lugged it around until I could get back home and had it sent back from there.)

I would gladly accept a refund if I could return everything I bought (2 Delta Pros, 4 extra batteries, 2 400W solar panels and everything in between.) I don't see that coming, however.

-S
A new day, a new issue. I can see my Ecoflow machines in the app both on my phone and my PC emulator but can't do a thing with them. All machines are showing as 0w input and 0w output. I can neither switch outputs on or do anything else like adjust charge rates. All batteries are showing as 0% charge yet 2 hours ago they were all 99% or more. Even my River Pro is behaving the same way.

1659359518576.png

George

UPDATE: The above issue was at 14:00 UK time (13:00UTC). Two hours later the app began to respond (yes I see the little red dots for updates but the issue existed on my updated phone too) and another 2 hours later it appears to be working.
I can accept glitches as just part of life but the time does come when I begin to distrust gear and that time has just about arrived regarding my total of SEVEN Ecoflow items.
The firmware update anomally I detailed elsewhere here is still present and I await a response from Ecoflow. I did report the same issue about 3-4 weeks ago.
Something just ain't right, a situation has already led to my friend Andrew CANCELLING his plans to order a Delta Pro and two batteries.
Ecoflow really need to get their act together or I foresee major problems for their sales once the word gets out about their equipment issues.

Last edited:
There were comments in my post in the EcoFlow Facebook group from individuals who said my post helped them decide to not go with the Delta Pro units.
I do wish there we some way to get an accurate measure of just how prevalent these issues are. My experience (60 % duds) and yours George could just be those of outliers, but even so, such things shouldn't exist, IMO.

(Someone better versed in statistics might be better able to gauge what the likelihood would be that, for instance, if it were a 1 in 1000 chance of getting a dud with the issues I'd have that I would get three of them out of 5. I suspect that it's highly unlikely, meaning it's more likely that the "dud rate" is higher than 1 in 1000....)

-S

When I now check the firmware every unit tells me it needs to be upgraded from v 0.3.6 to v 0.4.8 and there's no such animal! Even attempting to do this completely anomalous update results in the units simply disconnecting from my router(s) and flatly refusing to reconnect.
What on earth does this update mean? From v 0.3.6 to 0.4.8? The last update was from 1.0.0.89 to 1.0.0.96 and was supposed to "optimise" the 121 error and resultant calamity.
FYI: My unit did the same thing with showing what I thought was a downgrade on the firmware: When I received my Delta Pro the firmware was version 0.1.0.0 it asked me to upgrade to version 1.0.0.96 which I did successfully. Later it asked me to upgrade again. It said it had version 0.3.6 and needed to go 0.4.8. I didn't remember the previous numbers, so I tried to install the update, which failed. I tried again and the upgrade was successful and said "Your firmware is up-to-date! 0.4.8" and literally a minute later this screen changed to "Your firmware is up-to-date! 1.0.0.96." which raised questions in my mind. (I had screenshots to refresh my memory.) I asked tech support about the issue and they responded, "The 0.4.8 is for the firmware of WIFI module of the Unit, and the 1.0.0.96 is for the main firmware of the unit. They are two different firmware. Hope this can help with your confusion!"

My unit has been operating fine before and after the upgrades. I did have a similar issue on the app where data was not working accurately for a short period of time.. I guess if one was in proximity, you could connect with Wifi or Bluetooth going directly to the unit.

Last edited:
FYI: My unit did the same thing with showing what I thought was a downgrade on the firmware: When I received my Delta Pro the firmware was version 0.1.0.0 it asked me to upgrade to version 1.0.0.96 which I did successfully. Later it asked me to upgrade again. It said it had version 0.3.6 and needed to go 0.4.8. I didn't remember the previous numbers, so I tried to install the update, which failed. I tried again and the upgrade was successful and said "Your firmware is up-to-date! 0.4.8" and literally a minute later this screen changed to "Your firmware is up-to-date! 1.0.0.96." which raised questions in my mind. (I had screenshots to refresh my memory.) I asked tech support about the issue and they responded, "The 0.4.8 is for the firmware of WIFI module of the Unit, and the 1.0.0.96 is for the main firmware of the unit. They are two different firmware. Hope this can help with your confusion!"

My unit has been operating fine before and after the upgrades. I did have a similar issue on the app where data was not working accurately for a short period of time.. I guess if one was in proximity, you could connect with Wifi or Bluetooth going directly to the unit.
I'm reading in the FB group that the 0.4.8 update is specific to the wifi software, a separate entity from the 1.0.0.96 firmware update:

-S

I'm reading in the FB group that the 0.4.8 update is specific to the wifi software, a separate entity from the 1.0.0.96 firmware update:

-S
Wouldn't it be great if Ecoflow could just say "Upgrades wifi firmware" instead of "improves user experience"? FWIW I've tried the 0.4.8 thing several times and couldn't get it to work at all. Maybe someone could publish the procedure in steps, 1, 2, 3?

Wouldn't it be great if Ecoflow could just say "Upgrades wifi firmware" instead of "improves user experience"? FWIW I've tried the 0.4.8 thing several times and couldn't get it to work at all. Maybe someone could publish the procedure in steps, 1, 2, 3?
LOL! Yes, I hear you there!
I do wonder if those who issues with these firmware upgrades are dependent upon any changes they've made to the hardware of the Delta Pro's over time, on top of whichever firmware is currently installed. From the various issues that have occurred, I can imagine there could be a good number of subspecies of Delta Pros such that what is a obvious process for one user may not even even be possible for another.

I'm by not means a programmer, but there seems to be some who can seamlessly move through the updates and others where this doesn't happen, and I wonder if the a different combination of hardware and firm/software may be to blame.

On the replacement units I received (one of which went down), forming the initial BT connection was a breeze compared to the initial two units, where I had to attempt to connect nearly a dozen times before I had success. (I still can't get one of my units to connect via WiFi...)

-S

I've just received a reply from Ecoflow re the 0.4.8 firmware. It confirms the update is for the wifi only to improve connectivity but after my last experience with this update, guess what? I'm not even tempted to try it. They even suggest downloading a new version of the app to permit installation of this firmware. Get lost, Ecoflow! These units cost three and a half grand each. Get the job right and stop abusing your customers!
Better still, refund me the purchase price of my five, basically useless Delta Pros! Useless? Yes! I cannot trust them in EPS mode for fear of yet another exploding unit and the potential fire that may result. I bought them purely for their EPS function.
I did reply that I'm hugely disappointed with the Delta Pro and its obvious design flaws leading to what I describe as exploding units. Elsewhere I was told I was over dramatising this (by someone who hasn't experienced the drama) but IMHO, something that goes FLASH, BANG and from which huge amounts of smoke pour out whilst accompanied by a fizzing noise like frying something in a pan IS an exploding device.
I'd desperately like to believe the issue has been cured with firmware v 1.0.0.96 but then this is Ecoflow's umptreenth attempt to resolve a major problem and my confidence in the Delta Pro is now virtually non-existent.
My belief is I have made a huge mistake buying these Ecoflow products and would never recommend them to anyone.

*****UPDATE*****

After reading Ecoflow's email about the wifi update v 0.4.8, the same update is no longer showing in my Delta Pro app for any of the five units. It tells me I have v 1.0.0.96 and my firmware is up to date.

When something smells fishy I've found it's either a fish or something undesirable.

Last edited:
I've just received a reply from Ecoflow re the 0.4.8 firmware. It confirms the update is for the wifi only to improve connectivity but after my last experience with this update, guess what? I'm not even tempted to try it. They even suggest downloading a new version of the app to permit installation of this firmware. Get lost, Ecoflow! These units cost three and a half grand each. Get the job right and stop abusing your customers!
Better still, refund me the purchase price of my five, basically useless Delta Pros! Useless? Yes! I cannot trust them in EPS mode for fear of yet another exploding unit and the potential fire that may result. I bought them purely for their EPS function.
I did reply that I'm hugely disappointed with the Delta Pro and its obvious design flaws leading to what I describe as exploding units. Elsewhere I was told I was over dramatising this (by someone who hasn't experienced the drama) but IMHO, something that goes FLASH, BANG and from which huge amounts of smoke pour out whilst accompanied by a fizzing noise like frying something in a pan IS an exploding device.
I'd desperately like to believe the issue has been cured with firmware v 1.0.0.96 but then this is Ecoflow's umptreenth attempt to resolve a major problem and my confidence in the Delta Pro is now virtually non-existent.
My belief is I have made a huge mistake buying these Ecoflow products and would never recommend them to anyone.

*****UPDATE*****

After reading Ecoflow's email about the wifi update v 0.4.8, the same update is no longer showing in my Delta Pro app for any of the five units. It tells me I have v 1.0.0.96 and my firmware is up to date.

When something smells fishy I've found it's either a fish or something undesirable.
George,

Have you posted this in the EcoFlow group on facebook?... It might get the attention of some of the "higher ups" (or so they seem to be) there.
I've got my hands full with some other issues here at home, but am going to give my units one last run (in my RV, where I'm putting them to use daily) as soon as I can find time to take a trip, and see how it pans out.

Where do you stand in terms of replacement units for those that have gone down?...

-S

Hi Scott. Sorrry but I don't use Facebook. Wouldn't go near it with a bargepole! In the UK it's different to the US. We have a law called the Consumer Protection Act which says if an item goes wrong in 6 months or less it's deemed to have been faulty from manufacture. The dealer has to remedy the issue and it's his job to pay for carriage costs. I contacted my dealers on both occasions and had the units replaced within a week. The legal speak for the item is "Not of satisfactory quality and/or unfit for its intended purpose". It's not the customer's job to prove a fault exists. Instead, the onus is on the seller (not the manufacturer) to either put the problem right or prove there wan't a fault.
Amazing what a spell working alongside the local Trading Standards Dept taught me some years ago! We can even, under some circumstances, claim for consequential loss. Far better than the "limited liability" I've read about in the US.

Hi Scott. Sorrry but I don't use Facebook. Wouldn't go near it with a bargepole! In the UK it's different to the US. We have a law called the Consumer Protection Act which says if an item goes wrong in 6 months or less it's deemed to have been faulty from manufacture. The dealer has to remedy the issue and it's his job to pay for carriage costs. I contacted my dealers on both occasions and had the units replaced within a week. The legal speak for the item is "Not of satisfactory quality and/or unfit for its intended purpose". It's not the customer's job to prove a fault exists. Instead, the onus is on the seller (not the manufacturer) to either put the problem right or prove there wan't a fault.
Amazing what a spell working alongside the local Trading Standards Dept taught me some years ago! We can even, under some circumstances, claim for consequential loss. Far better than the "limited liability" I've read about in the US.
George!
I hear you r.e. Facebook! (My account was hacked last year and I relished the thought of not needing to go back, but I needed to re-instate an account for the purposes of my podcast. Long story.)

That's phenomenal that you have that recourse there in the UK. (I've been over a few times for conventions / to give seminars. Love it over there!)

Does that legislation allow that you could claim your entire set of Delta Pro's can't be considered satisfactorily reliable, such that you could get a refund on the lot of them?...

-S

P.S. I did see someone selling a large Delta pro set-up on FB last week. Two Delta Pros, 2 Batteries, a smart generator, a few solar panels, etc., at least initially. FB is have some value for the marketplace (though that is highly debatable). It's most redeeming feature in my opinion is that is provides a (free, easily accessible) mechanism for animal rescue to coordinate pet adoption, transport and other rescue efforts. I've seen some very cool things go down where dogs' lives have been saved b/c FB allowed a rapid mobilization of resources (someone to pull the dog from the pound, someone to transport, another person to foster, etc.).

Hi Scott. I don't want to go off down a long, winding road here and lose the original reason for the thread but I will explain the UK law as I understand it. (Disclaimer: This is not intended as legal advice and must not be taken as such. This is my understanding of the law here.) A purchase must be as described and fit for intended purpose. Eg, a bucket for carrying water mustn't leak. It must also last a reasonable time before say its handle falls off. Unfortunately, as my purchases came from two different suppliers, I can't claim them all to be faulty. The guy who sold me say two units that haven't gone bang can argue that they're as described and doing their job - even though I'm not using them as I wanted ie in EPS mode because of my being aware of other purchases that did go bang.
Re Facebook, yes I can see it has many valuable and useful facets. I prefer however not to disclose my life into a permanently accessible daily report.
Back to exploding Delta Pros though and what I will add is I look at several forums and regularly web search for Delta Pro faults. Since firmware v 1.0.0.96 I haven't seen any more instances of them going bang but it's still early days. Maybe Ecoflow has adjusted the EPS timing slightly or some other tweak that avoids this most terrifying scenario? After all, they've turned out the various Delta models for some time now and the Pro seems to be the only one with threads like this one. Sureley the Pro is just a beefed up version of the Delta or Delta Max and perhaps someone inadvertently designed in a hitch that can be fixed via firmware although being a "dismantle things and fix them properly" type of guy, I'm not a great believer that firmware re writes can mend everything.
Time will tell but meanwhile I'm very wary of using my Delta Pros in EPS mode and now wish I'd gone Bluetti EP500 instead.

Hi Scott. I don't want to go off down a long, winding road here and lose the original reason for the thread but I will explain the UK law as I understand it. (Disclaimer: This is not intended as legal advice and must not be taken as such. This is my understanding of the law here.) A purchase must be as described and fit for intended purpose. Eg, a bucket for carrying water mustn't leak. It must also last a reasonable time before say its handle falls off. Unfortunately, as my purchases came from two different suppliers, I can't claim them all to be faulty. The guy who sold me say two units that haven't gone bang can argue that they're as described and doing their job - even though I'm not using them as I wanted ie in EPS mode because of my being aware of other purchases that did go bang.
Re Facebook, yes I can see it has many valuable and useful facets. I prefer however not to disclose my life into a permanently accessible daily report.
Back to exploding Delta Pros though and what I will add is I look at several forums and regularly web search for Delta Pro faults. Since firmware v 1.0.0.96 I haven't seen any more instances of them going bang but it's still early days. Maybe Ecoflow has adjusted the EPS timing slightly or some other tweak that avoids this most terrifying scenario? After all, they've turned out the various Delta models for some time now and the Pro seems to be the only one with threads like this one. Sureley the Pro is just a beefed up version of the Delta or Delta Max and perhaps someone inadvertently designed in a hitch that can be fixed via firmware although being a "dismantle things and fix them properly" type of guy, I'm not a great believer that firmware re writes can mend everything.
Time will tell but meanwhile I'm very wary of using my Delta Pros in EPS mode and now wish I'd gone Bluetti EP500 instead.
George,
Thanks for that. Totally makes sense r.e. the two different suppliers. I guess one option might be to return those that you "legally" can for a refund and perhaps sell the others to cut your losses. (I hesitate to try to sell what I have for a reasonable price b/c I feel I would knowingly be selling someone a lemon, and would rather not have to sell at half price... I too invested on the order of $20k US.)

Don't get me going on social media!!! LOL I am not a fan of it's consumption in the way many do, but use the platform for it's educational purposes. (The German Neuropsychologist Manfred Spitzer has some interesting lectures not he topic on youtube, some of which are in german.) I can't bring myself even to do what would best serve me financially knowing the havoc it wreaks on many peoples' lives.

I think we both trusted that the previous reputation of EcoFlow would carry forward with the Delta Pros. I was a kickstarter "supporter" and, had I realized how long it actually would take get all the pieces I'd ordered, I might have gone another way, too.

-S

Hi everybody,
I just subscribed to this forum and admire all of you for the posts.
I HAVE 3XDelta Pro AND 4 EXTRA BATTERIES. After 2 months of light usage (only charging my CHEV. VOLT CAR) one DP and one battery are broken.
The DP error message - 022, overload 121. Not working at all.
The battery error message: 077, and cant be charged (dead)
EF they are not helping me because I bought everything second hand.
VERY UNSATISFIED.
I am just curious if we can dismantle and remove individual cells and build up a DIY battery.

The 0.4.8 might be a software/app update. In the past with other Chinese-made apps on my iPhone, some updates go out to other countries first. Then eventually makes it over to the US Appstore. On their own back-end, they already set the new version number. So whenever your app checks for a new version, it'll see the new version number and advise you to update, even though the US Appstore does not have it yet.

I've seen the same happen with Growatt and it usually takes about 3 days for to get the update from the US Appstore.

Welllllll.....this is scary! Anyone wanna buy my Delta Pro....only had it a few months certainly less than 100 battery cycles on it...

Back