diy solar

diy solar

Exposed Circuit Breakers?

HRTKD

Boondocker
Staff member
I'm on plan "C" for the location of my solar components (SCC, fuses, batteries, BMS, etc) in my RV. The new area is under a closet. If you don't know the components are there, you wouldn't think to look for them there. A wide drawer has to be pulled out to access the area and even then it's not easy to get to.

Instead of using a combiner/junction/breaker box I was thinking of mounting a DIN rail on the plywood mounting board and then breakers on the rail. Nothing would enclose breakers. There simply isn't much room for a real combiner box.

Good idea? Bad idea?

This picture shows part of the space. The plywood mounting board would go on the wall. I don't use the drawer for much and have considered removing the drawer hardware and taking the face off the drawer and turning it into a dummy drawer.

20200813_155008.jpg

What's the maximum voltage who will be present on the breakers terminals?

Is it user accessible with no tools under normal circumstances?

Thanks for your interest!

Voltage coming in from the panels will be 80 volts and 10 amps, on a good day. This weekend I tore out the drawer slide mechanism. I don't know if the slide mechanism will go back in. It depends on how I arrange the components. The black cylinder in the picture may also be going away.

I can secure the drawer, or just the drawer front, with a magnetic child safety lock. I have an 8 year old nephew that has a tendency to get into everything and press every button. The first time he went camping with me I was in the trailer and felt it move. Then I heard the tongue jack running. I say that to show that I am aware that little hands tend to find what you don't want them to find.

My DIN rail and breakers arrived this morning. Now I have to figure out how they work. I don't think I've ever had to mount a circuit breaker. This is a learning experience, for sure.

Ok so definitelly dangerous voltage.

So you need to block the access with something requiring a tool, ideally a tool who can't be something laying around near by... Or to fully cover any accessible powered part.

They're very easy to mount: they just clip into place (hang the top side of the breaker on the rail first, push towards the bottom and push the bottom side towards the rear). If you want to remove then you need a small flat bladed screwdriver to lift the lock tab (see the rectangular arch on the top on the picture below? that's where you put it) and pull the top side of the breaker towards you first, that's all ;)

DIN_rail_rear_view.jpg

Edit: video tuto:
as you can see you can remove it by hand too but it's a bit more of a PITA (even the guy in the video struggle a bit...), I recommend using the screwdriver method instead ;)

Based on your description, installing the breakers may be the easiest part of my install. :)

The forest fires to the west make it very difficult to breath, especially in the morning. Most of the work on the trailer is indoors, but it gets quite warm in there.

I don't like putting electronic gear in enclosed wooden spaces, especially one that handles a lot of power.

I was concerned about putting an LED strip lighting power supply in one of the kitchen cabinets.

Back