diy solar

diy solar

Extention cord as Pv wire. Is it unsafe?

If you want some cheap wire you can get at home improvement stores I've use 12awg landscaping lighting wire

If you want some cheap wire you can get at home improvement stores I've use 12awg landscaping lighting wire
Ha! Beat ya to it!

Is it pretty, no. Is it professional looking, no. Will it work, sure it will.
It's a DIY forum and some folks are doing the best they can with whatever means are available.
Just seems like there is really no savings there unless he already had the cord.

10AWG PV cable isn’t that expensive. Even with a pre crimped MC4.

I've been using 16 gauge extension cords over a 50' run for over a year now with no issue. I don't recall the exact numbers, but I think each series of three panels outputs 7-ish Amps at 105 Volts. If you think that sounds sketchy, you should see what I used for a combiner box! That said, it was a for a limited term arrangement.

Well..... Going to keep us in suspense?
This isn't the actual box, but it looked just like this. I left the male end on the extension cords and plugged them into the outlets. The outlet box was then wired to the inverter using 8 gauge wire.

1fp3e__27954.jpg

Last edited:
Landscape wire is fairly inexpensive, and you aren't paying for 3 wires you don't need.

Except I think you do need 3 wires. To connect PV panel frames back to inverter. At least, if DC voltage is high enough to be a concern, or if your inverter drives common mode AC voltage on PV wires.

This isn't the actual box, but it looked just like this. I left the male end on the extension cords and plugged them into the outlets. The outlet box was then wired to the inverter using 8 gauge wire.

1fp3e__27954.jpg
Suicide lead comes to mind ?.

I was curious so I went and looked on amazon.

$60 a wire from windy nation for 10 gauge pv wire with ends on it ready go and color coded too :)

$65 for a 12 gauge drop cord.

I don't see the win by using the drop cord.

Except as mentioned from got to have it now and being able to snag one from the hardware store or walmart.
Or he already had it lying around.
It's all fun and games until you accidentally pull one of them under load

but I'd probably do it
Do it.
For science.
Make sure a video camera is running first.

Suicide lead comes to mind ?.

True, with HV DC present.

It's all fun and games until you accidentally pull one of them under load

but I'd probably do it

You know how they say to grip plug, not just pull from the cord?
Pull from the cord.

Should be real fun if DC voltage is sufficient to sustain an arc between plug pins, unlike single ended MC connectors which you would pull further apart. Orientation of plug vs. gravity may affect outcome.

7 years ago I repurposed a tired old extension cord for a temporary run to my pool pump. At least it was #12.

4 years ago the female end got pretty hot and nasty since it managed to become partially unplugged from the pump.

2 years ago that female end completed the melting it that had started years prior requiring me to temporarily install a new (actually it was used) female end on the cord.

It's still running my pool today and my wife still gives me dirty looks about it.

Nothing is more permanent than temporary.

IMG_6637.jpeg

Last edited:
It's for an RV, so no "suicide lead" issue.

No "murder of utility lineman" issue.

But could be suicide of user or family member. That female receptacle is mounted on RV and wired to inverter, and power cord with male plug comes from PV panel, so pins are hot.

Having male plug on RV would avoid exposure to PV array Voc. However, some AIO deliver DC and/or AC voltage to their PV input pins.

51DpCxu0inL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Of course, if anyone ever connected a generator to it, that would murder your inverter.

One consideration would be to attach a 15 amp male plug and utilize a locking 15 amp outlet box. Harder to accidentally unplug under load.

I use 50 ft agricultural extensioncords... They are oil resistant and they hold up really well out in the sun... More importantly they're also pretty cheap usually You can get them in all sorts of gauges but I tend to buy them in 14 gauge is it suits my needs quite well and oftentimes they're rated for somewhere between 300 and 600 volts which means they'll more than handle the hundred volt string voltage that I'm shooting through them

Have even considered using marine grade wire in plastic shroud as used in automotive. Can replace shroud as needed

Back