diy solar

diy solar

Failed JK BMS

Ok, couldn't leave it be. I went back to my original assumption that they had placed a RY3820E on there in the first place, instead of RY3820. RY3820 is 600kHz, RY3820E is 500kHz - and that would explain why the BMS had the same behavior when I replaced the chip with an RY3820E. So I put in the STI3470 which I knew was close to the RY3820, 600kHz and all (and because the original RY3820 is pretty impossible to get). Result: no more noise in the BMS nor the charge controller. Output voltages of the converters all fine as well.

I'll run more tests later. Sleep first...
Thank you for the information! My sti is still on the way. Have you changed only one or all three chips?

I should have looked how old mine is or what details there was on the back of it. It is VHB stuck to my lid of the Solar Generator and now can not look. I'm running 4s configuration and all seems to be good and no noticeable noise. I have not ran it through it's paces yet but I will once I get the inverter back mounted and wired. I did order another one recently and still has not arrived maybe been 3+ weeks now so it must be coming over on the boat. I will document the back details and is there anything else I could look that would help the group here? I will be using this one in another build I have going on and wanted to stick with the same BMS's since this will be an AUX battery to my current Solar Generator.

I am currently getting ready to build a 16s 304AH battery, and had purchased a 100A Overkill BMS a few years ago. I haven't installed anything yet, and was wondering if it worth looking at these JK BMS for the active balancing, or if the hassle isn't worth it considering some of the issues reported.

I went with 'B' grade Eve 304ah cells and the jk bms because its active balancing 'should' be able to restrain any runners.

I am currently getting ready to build a 16s 304AH battery, and had purchased a 100A Overkill BMS a few years ago. I haven't installed anything yet, and was wondering if it worth looking at these JK BMS for the active balancing, or if the hassle isn't worth it considering some of the issues reported.

I believe the issue is only present in the 4s/8s version. I have a broken JK-B2A24S20P coming from a forum member, but I believe that might be a different, unrelated, issue (overload, sudden inverter disconnect, leading to a high voltage pulse destroying something - I'll know for sure once I have it).

It seems to me that we won't know for sure if JK has fixed the current version being sold until @upnorthandpersonal gets his hands on one of the new ones to check. Having been burned by one of the bad models (which @upnorthandpersonal has now fixed), I don't think I would be buying one from JK yet.

It seems to me that we won't know for sure if JK has fixed the current version being sold until @upnorthandpersonal gets his hands on one of the new ones to check. Having been burned by one of the bad models (which @upnorthandpersonal has now fixed), I don't think I would be buying one from JK yet.

Yeah, especially with the 4s/8s ones - wait until I have a new one just to make sure.

Edit: I've ordered a BD4A8S4P from Hankzor first (since it's the cheapest). I'll update the thread once I have it.

Last edited:
Yeah, especially with the 4s/8s ones - wait until I have a new one just to make sure.

Edit: I've ordered a BD4A8S4P from Hankzor first (since it's the cheapest). I'll update the thread once I have it.
I have a new one that should be here any day is there anything I can look for to maybe verifiy anything or there should be some sort of test that is needed to be performed?

I have a new one that should be here any day is there anything I can look for to maybe verifiy anything or there should be some sort of test that is needed to be performed?

The only thing you can really do is put it on a battery and charge/discharge with a decent current. If there is no noise in the BMS or the charge controller (buzzing), and it doesn't do any other weird stuff in the app, it should be fine. You might need to give it a few days of testing.

The only thing you can really do is put it on a battery and charge/discharge with a decent current. If there is no noise in the BMS or the charge controller (buzzing), and it doesn't do any other weird stuff in the app, it should be fine. You might need to give it a few days of testing.
10-4 be a little bit getting to that point but I have not notice any of the above on my current one on the main battery pack. I rebuilt my unit took out chargery and replaced with a JK so I received it I think before winter. So it seems at least Q4 2022 on if ordered direct the units should be ok from the documented results in this thread. Now if you order from someone that has older stock then it could be suspect.

Well I just received B2A8S20P and overnight on slow discharge the CPU AuX error triggers. I have it in parallel with another Jk (older no issues).
Only happens at night ... during the day I get the other error (Current Sensor) which I understand why.
Hankzor hasnt really been very helpful and just want me to return it before they send a new one.

I need to get mine hooked up but with my current project load other things are prority at the moment so maybe next week I will get to hooking mine up that I just received.

Well I just received B2A8S20P and overnight on slow discharge the CPU AuX error triggers. I have it in parallel with another Jk (older no issues).
Only happens at night ... during the day I get the other error (Current Sensor) which I understand why.
Hankzor hasnt really been very helpful and just want me to return it before they send a new one.
Well, that certainly doesn't sound like JK has fixed their problems.

Well, that certainly doesn't sound like JK has fixed their problems.
The error comes up but it still works. Does not show load, temp on the mos and or leads.
I am going to let it run to see if it self clears when the sun comes up.

I have to admit if its a known error and they are still shipping that is a concern. The other odd thing is it diodnt come with the 4 power leads (my first one did that I got last year)

Any reccomendations for an alternate product (and please no Daly BMS :) )

Back