diy solar

diy solar

FastJack vs FastJack-E mounts

hmbay

I'm having to do a re-install of my mounts on a good asphalt shingle roof after a botched "pro" install 15 years ago which has my roof leaking at many of the 34 mount penetrations. My panels are mounted to ProSolar RoofTracs so I'm trying to decide between the more user-friendly FastJack vs the simpler FastJack E. Since I'm replacing existing mounts, I have existing mounting screw holes which tell me exactly where the roof beams are. So I think I don't need the pilot hole step of the FastJack and I can confidently use the FastJack E and just move my mounts a few inches in line to shoot the Spax screw. I also like the custom flashing for the FastJack E as opposed to using the Oatey flashing. [My other solar self install does use FastJacks with standard flashings].

BTW, I know the FastJack mounts are - shall we say - archaic. Contractors literally laughed at using them to fix my system which is why I'm DIY. But since I have the RoofTrac racks, I don't really have other options unless I want to ditch them or adapt the racks to other mounts which does not look reasonable (or safe). I considered going to rackless mounts as well but since I have the penetrations for 34 mounts in the right places for the FastJacks, might as well stick with them.

One other question: my existing installation is at 3" so I'm just going with the 3" FastJack E even though most people recommend going for the 4.5". The installation is 15 years old so any heat-related efficiency issues are probably not in play at this point. The system is in Santa Cruz, Calif and temperature has not been a big issue. And I figure if the junction box is set up for 3", leave it at 3".

Cheers, Joe

Last edited:
You can see the parts at ProSolar.com. Like I said, most people have moved on to IronRidge or Unirac so ProSolar is very old school (10-15 years ago) but they still sell the components. I don’t have much choice because as you know the racks and mounts are designed as a unit for wind load, weight bearing, etc. So my choice is basically between ProSolar FastJack or ProSolar FastJack-E.

I have the racks/rails so I'm sticking with them plus it means that my penetrations are already set. Going rackless means I'll have to figure out new mount points. Also ProSolar FastJack-E's and the flashing are dead cheap from RES Supply.

Back