diy solar

diy solar

Fatal accident caused by loose panel on road

I'm in the UK and I've got 3 panels bonded to my van using this stuff CTEC CT1.
The cured product has the same shear strength as an aluminium weld and it also replaces mastic and sealant, and can set underwater.

I used long aluminium angled rails 2 inches wide for greater surface area and raised the rails from the roof with washers at each end to make a thicker application of glue.
Surface was prepped by keying with fine sandpaper then cleaned with white spirit.

The resulting bond is incredibly strong, if I hold one of the aluminium rails and pull at it with all my strength, all that happens is the van starts rocking, there is no movement where the rails are bonded.

A properly prepared surface and the correct adhesive is perfectly safe. I'm also of the opinion that the greater the surface area the better so as to spread the load force.

The dynamic load on tethers is so high from the panels ripping loose and flapping in the wind, that 1/8 stainless steel cable would need to be short and bolted on unless you use Huge screws. The forces are very large, at 50 miles per hour the force 2'x3' panel would be in hundreds of pounds with just a few inches of slack. Air foils on leading edge, or anything that directs the air over the flat leading edge would help keep it in place. i believe

Back