diy solar

diy solar

Favorite DC-DC step downs for 48V system?

MaximusAnonus

What are everyone's favorite DC-DC step-downs for the 40-58.4V range and let's say 30W/50W/100W/150W/200W ranges?
Normally I would go with MeanWell as I always do but for the love of god I can't get my hands on many of the models (I use them at work and have really really good prices but they are simply out of stock).
Alibaba links welcome.

Yeah my bad I want a few models that go to 12V and a few that go to 24V in different wattage.
Yes these are the most common chinese DC-DC stepdowns floating all round the web. I really wonder if their efficiency is 5-10% better than the MeanWells.

Let's see. DDR-120B-12, 0pcs in stock, delivery in 31st week of 23. Also about 15% more expensive than what I can get from the local Mean Well dealer (which is also out of stock). DDR-240C-24, 0pcs in stock, delivery 24th week of 23. About 20% more expensive than my prices directly from Mean Well. OK something different let's say RSD-200C-24, 0pcs in stock, delivery 7th week of 23. About 20% more expensive.....
Yeah I see a pattern emerging here. ?

Daygreen.com has suited me well. They make every converter you could possibly imagine lol.

I have their 48v to 12v 100a converter. I dont use it anymore and am selling it too, if you need one ?

Let's see. DDR-120B-12, 0pcs in stock, delivery in 31st week of 23. Also about 15% more expensive than what I can get from the local Mean Well dealer (which is also out of stock). DDR-240C-24, 0pcs in stock, delivery 24th week of 23. About 20% more expensive than my prices directly from Mean Well. OK something different let's say RSD-200C-24, 0pcs in stock, delivery 7th week of 23. About 20% more expensive.....
Yeah I see a pattern emerging here. ?

I didn't check availability, my bad.

Daygreen.com has suited me well. They make every converter you could possibly imagine lol.

I have their 48v to 12v 100a converter. I dont use it anymore and am selling it too, if you need one ?
95% efficiency
did anyone ever measured it?
if it's really 95% then I wonder why Mean Well and others can't replicate it

These Victron boxes are literally 3x the price of a similar Mean Well. And I would bet the Mean Well power supplies will outlive the Victrons. I will wait for the MW PSUs to get back in stock if the Chinese stepdowns are really that horrible.

I like the SD-1000L-12
60 amps dc
output is adjustable 11-15 volts
input is compatible with both 24 and 48 volt systems
typical efficiency is 84%
In stock at digikey for $449.68CAD

Footprint is not compatible with a WFCO MBA though.

The SD-500L-12 is footprint compatible with A WFCO MBA and available from digikey for $246.00CAD.

The question I have is will either survive in a mobile environment?

You didn’t say what voltage you want to end up with.

Assuming you want to step down to 12V I use something like this :

Those are to 12V but others are available. I use the 13.8V ones.
The cheap ones have bed rep for failing lol.

Thats exactly what happened to me. I used the same thing that Joe posted, or so similar I cannot discern the difference and it died after a short period while powering my battery heating system. that to me is considered a critical load and when it went out I got lucky and the temps did not drop low enough to damage anything.
I'm not paying the Victron tax for a DC-DC stepdown lol.
I will know that I know they offer one. much better to be safe than sorry in regards to a critical component.

YMMV

These Victron boxes are literally 3x the price of a similar Mean Well. And I would bet the Mean Well power supplies will outlive the Victrons. I will wait for the MW PSUs to get back in stock if the Chinese stepdowns are really that horrible.
my personel experience they (Chinese ones) are that bad.

Last edited:
Back