diy solar

diy solar

Feedback on my 24v Solar system

Greg57

Thanks everyone, I love these forums-they make you consider things you never thought about. Do you have any suggestion for my proposed system below? I listed it a 800 watts system but as you can see it is 400 watts. My plan was to add more panels and batteries in the future. As you can see I will be able to charge my 24v battery bank using Victron Energy Orion-TR Smart. I will also be able to charge via shore power. Besides wires, lugs, fuses, breaker did I forget anything? I need to do a long term energy audit to make use that I haven't over or under designed system. I also need to put together a wiring diagram. Obviously, I'm trying to save money so any ideas on how to reduce cost would be appreciated!

My desires are:
1. 24V system
2. charge battery bank with alternator-2017 Dodge Promaster
3. Plug into shore power and charge battery bank from shore power
4. Save money but have a quality system-I know that's in the eyes of the beholder!

24v system 800 watts
  • 24V Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter 3000Watt DC 24V to AC120V with Dual AC Outlets with Remote Control 2.4A USB and LED Display Giandel $480
  • 4x Valence U27-12XP LiFePO4 | 12V 138AH 1.766 kWh or 2x Battle Born LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery - 100Ah 12v-connected series to form a 24v battery. $2100
  • 2x Newpowa 200W Monocrystalline 200 Watt 12V Solar Panel High Efficiency Mono. May look at other brands. $760
  • EPEVER MPPT Solar Charge Controller 40A 150V PV Solar Panel Controller Negative Ground W/ MT50 Remote Meter + Temperature Sensor PC Monitoring Cable. $180
  • Uxcell New BIG-Size Voltage Converter Regulator DC/DC DC 24V to DC 12V 40A 480W Buck Transformer Waterproof $39
  • bayite DC 6.5-100V 0-100A LCD Display Digital Current Voltage Power Energy Meter Multimeter Ammeter Voltmeter with 100A Current Shunt $20
  • VICTRON ENERGY ORION-TR SMART 12/24-15A (360W) ISOLATED DC-DC CHARGER $265
  • Xantrex 8080915 PROwatt SW Auto Transfer Switch $58 with Xantrex Technology Inc, 808-9001 Remote Panel for Prowatt Sw $25

You say 800W, but it appears you have 2 200W unless that's a kit?

Looks like you have it covered.

Yes, you are correct it is 400W. I say 800W with the idea of adding more panels and batteries in the future. I just want to make sure other componets can handle this increase without having to upgrade them

I guessing that my only concern would be EPEVER MPPT Solar Charge Controller 40A 150V

40A * 24V = 960W

Simply add another EPEVER to the mix to upgrade beyond that if necessary.

Isn't this a duplicate post? Seems very familiar... but I am old and it is hot, so I could well be mistaken.

Yes, you're right. I want to start a clean post with exactly what I was thinking of. I want to be clear on by idea. Maybe I should link this to other post. Not sure how to do that. sorry about any confusion. this is first time that I'm posting to a forum

Thanks everyone, I love these forums-they make you consider things you never thought about. Do you have any suggestion for my proposed system below? I listed it a 800 watts system but as you can see it is 400 watts. My plan was to add more panels and batteries in the future. As you can see I will be able to charge my 24v battery bank using Victron Energy Orion-TR Smart. I will also be able to charge via shore power. Besides wires, lugs, fuses, breaker did I forget anything? I need to do a long term energy audit to make use that I haven't over or under designed system. I also need to put together a wiring diagram. Obviously, I'm trying to save money so any ideas on how to reduce cost would be appreciated!

My desires are:
1. 24V system
2. charge battery bank with alternator-2017 Dodge Promaster
3. Plug into shore power and charge battery bank from shore power
4. Save money but have a quality system-I know that's in the eyes of the beholder!

24v system 800 watts
  • 24V Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter 3000Watt DC 24V to AC120V with Dual AC Outlets with Remote Control 2.4A USB and LED Display Giandel $480
  • 4x Valence U27-12XP LiFePO4 | 12V 138AH 1.766 kWh or 2x Battle Born LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery - 100Ah 12v-connected series to form a 24v battery. $2100
  • 2x Newpowa 200W Monocrystalline 200 Watt 12V Solar Panel High Efficiency Mono. May look at other brands. $760
  • EPEVER MPPT Solar Charge Controller 40A 150V PV Solar Panel Controller Negative Ground W/ MT50 Remote Meter + Temperature Sensor PC Monitoring Cable. $180
  • Uxcell New BIG-Size Voltage Converter Regulator DC/DC DC 24V to DC 12V 40A 480W Buck Transformer Waterproof $39
  • bayite DC 6.5-100V 0-100A LCD Display Digital Current Voltage Power Energy Meter Multimeter Ammeter Voltmeter with 100A Current Shunt $20
  • VICTRON ENERGY ORION-TR SMART 12/24-15A (360W) ISOLATED DC-DC CHARGER $265
  • Xantrex 8080915 PROwatt SW Auto Transfer Switch $58 with Xantrex Technology Inc, 808-9001 Remote Panel for Prowatt Sw $25
correction - Should be 4x Battle Born

this is first time that I'm posting to a forum
No problem. Just for info, it's normally considered good forum etiquette to restrict yourself to one-problem/point-one-post, it's just that with multiple similar posts you have the same people reviewing and potentially providing the same advice multiple times, this just wastes responders time, and you generally don't want to do that because:
  1. Responders get frustrated, and that doesn't help you.
  2. Responders waste time, and that doesn't help others.
I would recommend that you take a peak at the forum rules, these are usually sticky-posted at the top of each forum, for example, here.

I'm not trying to be a pedant or jobsworth, usually playing by the rules helps you get the most from the forum :)

I agree-I'm realizing that so much information is duplicated, spread all over the place, and/or in post that have nothing to do with original question. I'm thinking that the reason that I started new post is that my original question had changed due to my changes in my set up. Keeping the forum organized does seem to be a challenge!

Moving forward I'll be sure to keep my post on single subject but it does seem that many post drift as time goes on.

Thank you so much for your input and all your assistance, I greatly appreciate it

but it does seem that many post drift as time goes on.
They do indeed but we do try to stay 'on topic' ... we're only human, though! And the mods are too so they give us leeway if the posts remain helpful. You can consider one-topic-one-post more of a guideline and genuinely designed to help forum members, we're all friends here as well as members.

There is an initiative started recently to distil a lot of the information contained throughout posts into little 'information nuggets' and these can/will be found in the 'Wiki' section. It's an ongoing effort.

Back