diy solar

diy solar

[Feedback Please] Solar system for RV

CL1981

Hi all

I’m new to all of this but learning a lot from this forum and YouTube. I would love some feedback or ideas on a system I’m putting together.

I'm building a 12V solar system for my 2011 Georgetown 350TS Class A motorhome (50amp).

Here’s what I have so far:

- Victron Multiplus 12/3000w hybrid inverter
- Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 solar charge controller
- 2x 200ah EcoTrek L1R battery packs

I'm planning to add:

- Victron BMV-712 Battery Monitor with Battery Temperature Sensor
- Victron Color Control GX Monitor
- 4x 175w RENOGY MONOCRYSTALLINE SOLAR PANELS

How am I doing so far?
Anything you would change or add?

thanks!

Here are some thoughts - I am assuming the batteries are a lithium battery. (I don’t know anything about those particular batteries so I cannot comment on them).

Do you need to break the connection between the alternator and batteries to prevent overcharging? If so a DC-DC charger may be needed.

do you need the BMV712’s monitor or relay port - a Victron Smartshunt may work just as good.

Can you get 200watt panels to fit? Having the extra 100watts is great when not in ideal conditions. (Flat panels are seldom in ideal conditions - I have only seen my 100/50 max out at 700watts once).

Look at Victron Cerbo and touch50. It may be better than the CCGX. (Pay attention to the data cable runs from the devices to the GX device).

Good Luck

Verify that those solar panels will fit on the roof. Use a CAD program to map out the roof exactly. Then test fit panels onto that diagram. You may find that fewer large panels work better than more small panels. That's what happened to me. Four 200 watt panels didn't fit but two 320 watt panels did.

Try to find a local supplier for panels so you can avoid shipping.

How are you integrating the Multiplus into the 50 amp AC system?

Hi all

I’m new to all of this but learning a lot from this forum and YouTube. I would love some feedback or ideas on a system I’m putting together.

I'm building a 12V solar system for my 2011 Georgetown 350TS Class A motorhome (50amp).

Here’s what I have so far:

- Victron Multiplus 12/3000w hybrid inverter
- Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 solar charge controller
- 2x 200ah EcoTrek L1R battery packs

I'm planning to add:

- Victron BMV-712 Battery Monitor with Battery Temperature Sensor
- Victron Color Control GX Monitor
- 4x 175w RENOGY MONOCRYSTALLINE SOLAR PANELS

How am I doing so far?
Anything you would change or add?

thanks!

I'd replace the CCGX with a Cerbo GX. The CCGX is being phased out so unless you own it or can get it deeply discounted it is not the way forward.

I'd also skip the BMV-712 and instead go with a SmartShunt or a Lynx Shunt connected to the Cerbo GX (or CCGX if you stay that path). The BMV-712 is not needed with a CCGX or Cerbo as it will compute your SOC if you have a shunt hooked up.

Back