diy solar

diy solar

Feedback requested for travel trailer solar/electric upgrade design

switz

I'm looking for some feedback/suggestion on my solar/electric upgrades for a travel trailer.
Anything I'm missing?
Item list and diagram in attached files.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• Trailer Wiring Diagram.pdf
    988.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Travel Trailer Electrical System.pdf
    153.1 KB · Views: 18
Just two minor comments. #1, the '40A' MMPT Solar is a lot larger than you need for only 2 * 100w panels (a mere '20A' model would be sufficient). And #2, AIMS is a very obscure brand to use as an all-in-one 120v/12v power center. Its manual also describes a slightly weird charging scheme, "shared" between SLA and LiFePO4.

I also think that their "support" capabilities are somewhat limited (they are located in my town, I have visited there). I would recommend spending more money, to get a Victron instead.

No idea if you already got the AIMS? It seems expensive on Amazon for 1500w. Any regular wall outlet can do 15A - so I would get something around 2000W.

An Growatt or MPP All-In would could the same and provide you 2700-3000w and includes the MPPT- saves you some wiring.

I would not use that inverter to power the AC distribution panel. There is no feature on that inverter for running a hardwired connection from the inverter.

An Growatt or MPP All-In would could the same and provide you 2700-3000w and includes the MPPT- saves you some wiring.
The Growatt or MPP seem to be for 24 volt or higher systems. I would like to stay at 12 volts.
I would not use that inverter to power the AC distribution panel. There is no feature on that inverter for running a hardwired connection from the inverter.
Thanks for catching that.

What about a Xantrex Freedom XC 2000?

Your main breaker is not that suitable for disconnecting an inverter, using a quality fuse and rotary switch modified with pre-charge is better. If you want a breaker look at Midnight solar products. Lots of posts on that...
All the branch feeds coming off the positive bussbar need fuse protection, a bussbar/fuse combo makes for simpler wiring and fewer crimps, the fuse holders you selected are not up to the task. Mega fuses are getting easier to find as they are common in modern autos....

I'm a fan of external transfer switches for travel trailers, you want the inverter as close to the battery as possible and the transfer switch close to the trailer power centre, (if yours is close disregard this). A Wfco transfer can attach to a Wfco power centre. There seems to be no consensus on whether a converter/charger is good to keep for charging lithium, in most cases it is probably fine....IMHO

Edit......
It's difficult to suggest an inverter, let us know what devices you wish to power. The Xantrex is a good choice but Samlex, Victron, Magnum and a myriad of no names are good as well....

Last edited:
Yes....
And if you want to use a built in transfer the Xantrex is a good choice-it has a 30a capacity most 2000w inverters have 20a transfer switches...

Back