diy solar

diy solar

Feeling My Way

Dechen

So we have two LG panels (340n1c-v5 340w neon n2 60 cell) on the roof now, two Tesla Battery Modules (24V 250Ah 5.2 kWh 444 Panasonic 18650 Cells) in a box on the outside wall of the cinder block house, a Sundanzer 8 cf solar chest freezer in the house waiting to get cold, a MPP SOLAR Hybrid 2400w Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter (with mppt Solar Charger 80A DC 24V AC Output 110V 120V with 60A Utility Charger 50HZ or 60HZ) waiting to get hooked up, a Vitron Battery Protect 220, a AiLi Battery Monitor, lots of fuses, circuit breakers, kill switches and the complexity of it is making me a LITTLE nervous. I know about the software (which is a little overwhelming) and the charging limit voltage (24.4!) Wondering if the fans on this model inverter will drive me nuts even though the inverter will be outside and in a metal box. I don't see anything about fans in the instruction manual. I'm an old gal, almost 70, and the (life-long) electrician working with me is even older. I need to learn this system, to operate and monitor it, because, well, my electrician lives kind of far away and won't be around to troubleshoot everything forever. The freezer only uses .532 kWh/d so maybe I can power some lights and electronics when the grid is down. And I can do that with extension cords plugged into the AC outlets of the inverter or....? I suppose I should connect it to the grid right away so the ATS works as backup? Any other huge or small areas I should be understanding way better? Should I get real familiar with all the settings BEFORE we turn it on or... Your videos are SO helpful, thanks! Any advice and direction very appreciated. One more question: should I use a AC 400V 200A Single Throw Electric Brake Open Type Safety Knife Switch to be able to disconnect the batteries? The metal parts seem kind of scary.

Last edited:
Just take things one step at a time get your batteries hooked up to your MPP and turn it on and play with it a bit then maybe hook up either your utility charger or the solar panels either one and play with that and so on and so on. If yu start t use it even if you just power a light bulb I bet you will feel more comfortable with things.

one thing you said that peaked my interest was having fans in metal box which is fine but just make sure the box can get air so the fans have fresh air to move around.

Back