diy solar

diy solar

Figure out what you need before you buy damn it.

You're kind of putting the cart in front of the horse. In order to plan you require knowledge. I've been doing DIY projects all my life. You can read all you want on some topic, but nothing beats hands on experience. There's nothing wrong with purchasing something and then finding out later the initial plan didn't work out so well. No reason for a rant. There's lots to be said by gaining knowledge from a Piss Poor Performance. You always learn more from doing. I commend people for getting out and getting something done (or trying to) and not being a couch potato.
Is not planning part of the knowledge gathering process? I was a natural gas distribution and transmission pipeline designer for many years. There was no room for do it again. Yes you do learn from mistakes put I have never had the money to do things many times to get it right. My dad always said "Do it once Doit Right"

You do what you do I will follow my path.

Is not planning part of the knowledge gathering process? I was a natural gas distribution and transmission pipeline designer for many years. There was no room for do it again. Yes you do learn from mistakes put I have never had the money to do things many times to get it right. My dad always said "Do it once Doit Right"

You do what you do I will follow my path.
Don't tell me you and your pipeline layers are perfect. Pipeline oil spills certainly make the news. We had one in Santa Barbara county not too long ago. There's always room to do it again and again...

"Do it once , do it right" is a great slogan but shit happens. What happened to the Challenger space shuttle?

I found Will's videos' really by accident one day. Never really thought about solar until then. I jumped in both feet. My wife wanted to see if we could have just some power to keep a few lights on when power goes out. No, I did not do an energy audit. No I really did not know what I was doing but from watching Will, I learned that you try things. Some work and some don't. Was I going to invest thousands of dollars on a whim, no. Did I expect to power the whole house, no. I did however trust Will, because he had figured things out, on putting together information on trying out a small solar setup. So I guess my first setup was reversed engineered. I installed, try to figure out how much power I had and then saw how I could use that power in the house as backup. Since then a lot of things have changed. I have a much, much larger setup. I say all this to say, after I found and joined this board, I listed a few pretty silly questions. Unfortunately at the time, I did not realize just how silly they were but I do now. There were a couple that slammed me pretty hard. Honestly I left the board for a while licking my wounds till I learned a little more. I can somewhat understand what what originally started this thread but if questions bother someone that much, just don't respond to them. A teacher teaches no matter the student's level of compression. Not everyone is a teacher.

An energy audit using a kill a watt can be a humbling experience. I have worked and reworked a spreadsheet with some basic needs and found myself embarrassed when I double checked my calculations for accuracy.

Once I felt ready to start I started with the batteries. I now have the option to consider either 24 or 48 volts. I have read strong discussions on both.

Since I am not in a hurry I have had the opportunity to research various discussions on components and will look at purchasing these next, most likely starting with a quality inverter charger. This will enable me to have grid fed backup for basic lighting and a low power freezer.

Later this year will add the panels after I decide on the best installation model for my home. I have already done the math on possible and potential yields and this was humbling as well.

I have worked as a clinician in healthcare for over 25 years. Two things are constant, change and the continued need to dedicate oneself to continued learning as our skills develop.

You're kind of putting the cart in front of the horse. In order to plan you require knowledge. I've been doing DIY projects all my life. You can read all you want on some topic, but nothing beats hands on experience. There's nothing wrong with purchasing something and then finding out later the initial plan didn't work out so well. No reason for a rant. There's lots to be said by gaining knowledge from a Piss Poor Performance. You always learn more from doing. I commend people for getting out and getting something done (or trying to) and not being a couch potato.
I’m training my assistant, and he routinely complains that I didn’t warn him prior to the mistake.
And I explain mistakes stick in the memory better than lessons…

In my case, I have no intention of electrifying a palatial offgrid mansion. I just want to be able to make a cup of coffee without worrying about running out of battery.

I don’t think there is any crime in that.

But you've actually done the planning... at least on a macro scale. You've established minimum inverter power, battery capacity requirements and needed solar.

So you guys don’t think newbies recoil when jumped on with both boots in reply to their first inquiry?
Who wants that kind of initial experience?

Guide. Don’t beat.
Grow the club.

I am replying to this thread for personal reasons.

If you'd been here longer, you'd probably not take this thread personally as @FilterGuy is one of the more patient and "guide-y" folks. His first paragraph conveys his intent, which certainly fits with your desired philosophy.

Do you really see people getting jumped on? Sure, it happens from time to time, but is it the norm?

To me it’s not that difficult. Check your house meter every day for a month, look at your electric bill for the last year and use a kilowatt meter on specific appliances and you should have a good idea what your needs are. Build to a multiplier based on your solar input.

This would probably get you pretty close whether powering you mansion or a few light bulbs.

If you'd been here longer, you'd probably not take this thread personally as @FilterGuy is one of the more patient and "guide-y" folks. His first paragraph conveys his intent, which certainly fits with your desired philosophy.

Do you really see people getting jumped on? Sure, it happens from time to time, but is it the norm?
No no, I get it.

People get frustrated. People get tired of answering the same question over and over.
it takes a person with the heart of a teacher, too continuously Guide in the best direction in the face of seemingly endless ignorance.
With a new crop every time Amazon has a sale.

It’s just easy to fall into the habit of a certain kind of reply to the uninitiated.

At the low end of the solar market, there are a lot of participants that are dangerous. And they don’t even know it.
The extreme price sensitivity is a real problem.

If a man learns from his mistakes then I must be the most educated man alive
I hear that

Thankfully I’m smart enough to know what I don’t know so I’ve never burned anything down. But ADD plays tricks on me. Often. RV vents installed 180* (backwards). Complex wiring and you know exactly where everything goes and you’re an hour or two into it and someone comes over to talk with you a minute and Boom! I wished I’d sharpied the wires their function. Finding your tape measure in the toolbox hours after you looked there a dozen times cuz that’s where you thought you put it. (How can you not see a big orange tape measure in a little toolbox?). Or just yesterday: typing a response to a series battery post but giving parallel battery advice.

Everybody has different natural competences. Being patient with folks who have very little skill in an area sometimes is hard. But as post#1 relates: how can you have zero clue about something and not know you have no clue to the extent you start buying stuff without having any idea what the lingo is never mind the equipment?!

There was this one thread where the guy wanted to be spoon fed stuff that a one minute search and 30 minutes of reading would have answered. But even when given links wouldn’t go and read. I don’t comprehend that!

But ya, made plenty of mistakes. How many hundreds of times have i flared a tube without putting the nut on first? I know this, it’s not about being a slow learner. Not finding a tool you set down one minute before - yet there it is later right where I looked.

I do try to know what I don’t know and don’t expect to be spoon fed nor think I know everything. I only know what I know, and try to know enough to know what I don’t know. Not everybody does.
I’m just not adequately educated from my mistakes. How many times have I crimped something with the heat shrink tube - that needed to go on first- held right in my fingers…. The crimper works easier without holding parts in your hand!

"Figure out what you need before you buy damn it."
Can't say I agree. It's not a perfect world. You're looking at utopia.
I hear what you are saying, and more or less agree with your sentiment, I suppose it depends to some degree on your learning style, on your project, and on your disposable income.

But in my eyes, the planning and research is a huge part of the learning process. Jumping right to the 'buy now' button on Amazon and asking for help after is a great way to make unforced errors without necessarily learning a whole lot. On the other hand, if you learn best through doing and tinkering, and experimenting with what works and what doesn't work, and have the money to make a few poor purchases here and there, there is nothing wrong with jumping right in the deep end, seeing what works, and iterating as you go, and lots of valuable lessons/experience will probably be gained if someone is inquisitive/thoughtful through that process.

But I think what you will see if you spend considerable time in the beginner section, is that while there are some people taking the learn through doing/iterating approach, most people new members are motivated by the finished product, they are looking to do it right the first time, and often make decisions they regret when they are too quick ot purchase.

I think the point that is being lost with a lot of people responding negatively to this rant/vent is that the people venting are many of the people devoting the most time to helping newbies. They're not people judging from the sidelines, they are the people that do spend a lot of time offering help and helping people work through problems and system design, and it can be really frustrating to help people with the same set of preventable problems. A substantial chunk of that time is consumed helping people work through the same few problems many of which could've been foreseen or prevented with a little presearch and system planning upfront. Nobody will get everything right the first time, but just simply approaching the project deliberately, doing some research, doing at least a basic energy audit, and having at least a basic plan before purchasing would cut down on a lot of unforced errors/buyers remorse/unrealistic expectations.

In my eyes learning how to plan is at least as important as learning how to do/build, but different strokes for different folks.

All I hear is, people want to not have to be responsible for their actions, want other people to solve all their problems, and do all the work for them. Which is all things that have become somehow normalized in todays socieity.
You said it.. hit the nail on the head.

100%
I have 2 of them. Keep one at the cabin and 1 at home.
Menards sells them for $27 - Easy Plug-N-Play.
It's a MUST.

Hopefully it's OK to post this link here:

That's how I figured out all of my loads.
Unplugged everything and used the Watt meter to see what running and peak were.

Nothing is more valuable than knowing your load down to the single watt.
I used Emporia with 16 CT clamps.

It does 24/7 data logging.
Information is great.

See each breaker usage 24/7.

That’s the way to do an energy Audit.

Don't tell me you and your pipeline layers are perfect. Pipeline oil spills certainly make the news. We had one in Santa Barbara county not too long ago. There's always room to do it again and again...

"Do it once , do it right" is a great slogan but shit happens. What happened to the Challenger space shuttle?
The challenger space shuttle disaster was entirely preventable.

The engineers knew the the oring was faulty before it was even on the pad.

In my eyes learning how to plan is at least as important as learning how to do/build, but different strokes for different folks.
Don't get me wrong. I'm all for planning. However, the folks we're talking about probably never heard of Ohm's Law (or long forgotten about it). They just seen one of Will's videos and want to build a system. It's really difficult to plan when there's no knowledge base. Research might be too overwhelming, or perhaps Will makes it look so simple that they feel no further research is necessary. So they purchase some equipment and then realize they don't know how to put it together or it doesn't perform as they thought. That's when they come to DIY Solar and ask for help. Those sequence of events seem to be human nature. Best not to get upset about it.

DZL Nailed it Square !
A lot of us here HELP without expectation or desire for any reward/compensation.
We do hear the "Same ol Shtick" a lot... There is a Very Deep Moat around the Mulberry Bush !
One KEY Thing ! AND it's HILLARIOUS TOO ! There is a Large Group of folks who completely & totally refuse to accept the consequences of their actions or their lack of understanding of the subject, "Many" actually expect us to hand them a step-by-step, all done for them guide for "their" installation.
Then you have the "Instant Rice" Thinking.... They want it ALL, they want IMMEDIATELY and they wanted it cheaper than anyone else... They do not stop to think or consider, they act on Impulse and react to others impulsively when things are not to their expectation. These folks notable rush out, buy a pile of "stuff" and then run here and demand to know how to put it together.... WE OLD-TIMERS IGNORE THEM ! After a couple of times down that rabbit hole, there is no going back in...
A lot of the old timers and contributors who helped build this site have all wandered to other pastures, some of us now Lurk more than anything else now. So all the Dead Horses get resurrected & given life again (see the Cell compression thread as one example) and around & around the mulberry bush we go again...

Does anyone build a house without a Plan ?
Do you tear apart your car & reassemble it without a Manual & Guides ?
But let's do solar & electricity without any thought whatsoever, It's just "Batteries" what can that do ??? DERP 2x4 upside head !

DZL Nailed it Square !
A lot of us here HELP without expectation or desire for any reward/compensation.
We do hear the "Same ol Shtick" a lot... There is a Very Deep Moat around the Mulberry Bush !
One KEY Thing ! AND it's HILLARIOUS TOO ! There is a Large Group of folks who completely & totally refuse to accept the consequences of their actions or their lack of understanding of the subject, "Many" actually expect us to hand them a step-by-step, all done for them guide for "their" installation.
Then you have the "Instant Rice" Thinking.... They want it ALL, they want IMMEDIATELY and they wanted it cheaper than anyone else... They do not stop to think or consider, they act on Impulse and react to others impulsively when things are not to their expectation. These folks notable rush out, buy a pile of "stuff" and then run here and demand to know how to put it together.... WE OLD-TIMERS IGNORE THEM ! After a couple of times down that rabbit hole, there is no going back in...
A lot of the old timers and contributors who helped build this site have all wandered to other pastures, some of us now Lurk more than anything else now. So all the Dead Horses get resurrected & given life again (see the Cell compression thread as one example) and around & around the mulberry bush we go again...

Does anyone build a house without a Plan ?
Do you tear apart your car & reassemble it without a Manual & Guides ?
But let's do solar & electricity without any thought whatsoever, It's just "Batteries" what can that do ??? DERP 2x4 upside head !
I take from that your NOT a cell compression advocate? ?

Back