diy solar

diy solar

figuring out what to buy

docdoyle

I have 16 240v panels set up in 2 separate arrays wired in series for 48 volts of 1920 watts. I was thinking of having each array it own 60amp charge controller and then having them both go to my battery bank and then have them supply a 3000 watt sine inverter. OR I could possibly have a inverter/charge controller combo. I was looking at the Epever 60 amp charge controller. Not sure what inverter to buy. What would be your suggestions? I also have purchased a transfer switched to be able to grid power as needed.

doyle

Are your panels in 2S8P or 8S2P?

Post the full specs of your solar panels.

What is your battery bank voltage? 12, 24, 48V?

Those specs and layout determine which solar charge controller you should get.

I would put all the panels on one quality charge controller
80 amp outback fm 80 will take 4000 watts I have 4500 watts on mine in 3 s 5 p 295 watt 41 volts each
I’m good to - 27o

If you buy a quality inverter the unit will pass thru power until you need it , when the power gos out the inverter comes on Automatically no transfer switch need.

Depends on objectives, and what utility allows.
Is net metering available? If so consider that, but determine if rate schedule changes will be imposed so it costs you money rather than saving.
If not, consider a system with zero-export. It would capture up to what your 3800W array can deliver, but never more than household loads. Any consumption in excess of PV would be drawn from grid. It could also provide backup of some critical loads.

3kW x 5 effective hours/day = 15 kWh/day. Worth $0.20? Then $3/day, $90/month, $1100/year. Plug in your electric rate and you can consider value of such equipment, vs. just making a backup system.

I have 16 240v panels set up in 2 separate arrays wired in series for 48 volts of 1920 watts. I was thinking of having each array it own 60amp charge controller and then having them both go to my battery bank and then have them supply a 3000 watt sine inverter. OR I could possibly have a inverter/charge controller combo. I was looking at the Epever 60 amp charge controller. Not sure what inverter to buy. What would be your suggestions? I also have purchased a transfer switched to be able to grid power as needed.

doyle
I use a Samlex Evo 4024 (24v) inverter. It has a built-in transfer switch, synchronizes waveform, and transfers between grid, gen, and inverter seamlessly.

Last edited:
Back