diy solar

diy solar

Final stages need help

• Thread starter Deleted member 1888
  • Start date
I'm trying to keep my physical arrays homogeneous. More visually pleasing that way, and rails line up better.
(even if they are misaligned, for mechanical and historical reasons. I'll try to straighten that while I'm swapping in higher output panels, "over-paneling in place".)
After much pondering, I figured out how to most efficiently use the rails and clips I've got to hold the replacement panels in portrait orientation, and fit whole numbers of strings per array.

arrays IMG_0371.jpg

I'm trying to keep my physical arrays homogeneous. More visually pleasing that way, and rails line up better.
(even if they are misaligned, for mechanical and historical reasons. I'll try to straighten that while I'm swapping in higher output panels, "over-paneling in place".)
After much pondering, I figured out how to most efficiently use the rails and clips I've got to hold the replacement panels in portrait orientation, and fit whole numbers of strings per array.

View attachment 23231
Im happy you will straighten them up as looking at them makes me feel like there is a ice pick in my brain.:oops:

BTW what do you use for mounting them? I use a combo of wood and super strut with bolts and washers to hold my panels.

Mostly Unirack rails, and those have angle aluminum and U-bolts around 2" pipe.
These have bottom clips, which require rails to be perfectly aligned to bolt holes in panels (loosen U-bolts and slide to align.)
For rooftop standoffs, top bolts would be used.

For another project I did use super strut or similar, with bolts through panel holes to slot nuts. It was laid on a roof. But you can get top bolts for unistrut these days.

I initially had just 24 panels spread over 3 pole-top mounts similar to these (but a different brand)

Then I bought the ULA. Then I used the 3 poles plus kludged supports and struts to make more parallel pipes similar to ULA and expanded the arrays.
Next I plan to reorient some as I re-panel, so 50% more STC watts are spread over the day, but same peak watts.

Back