diy solar

diy solar

Finalizing My 48V Van Solar Install, Need Help with Selection on Breakers/Fuses/Buck Converter Etc. and General Critique

antmanbee

I need some help choosing some additional components. I need breakers, fuses, disconnects, ring terminals, buck converter 48V to 12V, etc.

The main components I have already are,

A Jakiper 48V 100Ah Battery server rack
A Growatt 48V 3000W all in one 3000 TL LVM
3 Jinko 310W solar panels JKM310M-60L for a total of 930W in series, Open-circuit Voltage Voc STC 40.5, NOCT 37.4, Short-circuit Current (Isc) STC 9.92A

I made a cardboard cutout for mockup layout. I can attach components to the other side of the mounting board also.
The Growatt will be mounted on the outside brown panel. The green shelf will house the server rack battery. The cables to the battery from the Growatt will be between 1-2 ft approximately. The white inside of the same brown panel could also house breakers or fuses or a shunt if I want.
IMG_1821.JPGIMG_1822.JPGIMG_1823.JPG

1) The Jakiper has a main breaker. Is this sufficient protection to the Growatt battery DC input circuit or is additional protection needed?
In addition to the breaker on the Jaikper I will also use a battery disconnect switch. link
IMG_1825.JPG

2) The only other circuit connected directly to the battery will be the wires to the buck converter. I will most likely use a 360W 30A converter link. I don’t trust the rating of these things and want to limit it to 20A max at 12V. So to fuse the wire to the converter which is at 48V, I will need a fuse of 5A for 240W to 7.5A for 360W. I would like to use some kind of terminal fuse to minimize connections. link Or I could just use an inline fuse like this. link

The only things on the 12V system will be lights at 12W max, and a water pump at 54W max for very occasional use, a Maxxaire 14” ceiling fan with 54W max power draw which will usually be used at half speed or less drawing less wattage, and a couple of USB charge sockets, and 12V accessory outlets that will be fused to 10A or 120W. With everything on at the same time I am a few watts over 240W which is unlikely to occur.

I will mount this buck converter on the fuse/switch panel. I will run 12G wire at 48V to the converter, and 12G wire of one foot length from the converter 12V outlet to the 12V fuse box. Are there heat concern issues with the buck converter?
IMG_1826.JPG

3) What is the recommended breaker/fuse/disconnect and connectors to use for the PV array input to the Growatt?
The 3 panels will be in series with current under 10A. Also recommended wire gauge for less that 10ft run to the charge controller.

4) Do I need to use an AC breaker for the AC circuit or is that handled by the Growatt inverter? Should I use a GFI outlet as the first in the series of my AC outlets?

5) Any advice on crimp connectors for the various 4,6,8,10 gauge wires I will be using. Also a good cheap but effective crimping tool.

If there is anything I have overlooked please advise.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back