diy solar

diy solar

Finally found a LiFePO4 BMS with Low-temp Charging Protection

I need to read the question more carefully. I glossed over the part that said iOS.
I wonder if the app is going to work on a Mac running Big Sur? They're adding support for some iOS apps in macOS.
Then I don't know if my older Macs will even run Big Sur.

Not very computer wise so I couldn’t say on Mac use. ?

Does anyone know what a flashing B means next to a particular cell in the BMS application?

Screenshot_20200816_080133_com.jiabaida.bms.jpg

Edit: doea it mean it's being balanced?
Edit edit: of course it means they are balancing! I might need something stronger as I'm seeing some variation between discharge and charge

Last edited:
Here’s the paid iOS main, settings and protection Screens to set BMS parameters
These are settings I use not a recommendation for your settings. ?

I'm trying to figure out what's going on with your settings there :)

My question is "Cell Under Voltage" vs. "End of discharge Volt"

Shouldn't end of discharge be a higher value than cell under voltage? :unsure:

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out what's going on with your settings there :)

My question is "Cell Under Voltage" vs. "End of discharge Volt"

Shouldn't end of discharge be a higher value than cell under voltage? :unsure:

OHHH These are per cell voltages... starting to make sense now...

So...

If I want to use values for a 20% discharge limit.... End of discharge should read 3225mv

And for 90% full charge a value 3325mv should be entered.

The protection setting menu controls the BMS protection functions. The capacity configuration menu must be configured to show your batteries % of remaining capacity. I believe that menu doesn’t control any safety protections. It’s for setting the remaining battery capacity on the main display.
The settings in the screen shot are only what I personally use. You may get different performance on your battery and prefer different limits. ✌️

Last edited:
The protection setting menu controls the BMS protection functions. The capacity configuration menu must be configured to show your batteries % of remaining capacity. I believe that menu doesn’t control any safety protections. It’s for setting the remaining battery capacity on the main display.
The settings in the screen shot are only what I personally use. You may get different performance on your battery and prefer different limits. ✌

Thanks! Makes sense.

Shunt Question:

I was planning to use a long bus bar off the side of the battery to attach the shunt and then use ONE of the three bms leads off the other side of the shunt. Will that work or do I need all three leads coming off the shunt?

Thanks,

Will

You have to connect all of the B- leads to the battery negative terminal and the C- leads to the battery side of the shunt. All negative connections, chargers, inverters, 12v loads, etc, must be connected to the load side of the shunt. If you do it any other way the shunt won't read all of the current to/from your battery.

I have this BMS installed on my battery. As it is used for camping and will be in storage inbetween uses, I want to be able to disconnect the BMS from the cells to stop any current draw (from the BMS bluetooth module mostly). Can I do this by installing a switch on one of the balance lead cables which I can mount on the outside of my battery box? I don't want to open up the battery box and pull out the balance lead cable connector every time. Thanks

Why?
The Bluetooth is only in operation and illuminated when you access it from your phone. When you go out of the app it turns off. There is no power draw otherwise. No need to disconnect anything.

How long are you storing the battery between trips? There is some kind of draw, for it to sense the call to activate the Bluetooth, but it's pretty minor.

As soon as you plug in the balance leads, the bluetooth module lights up, but then the light goes off again. I imagine there has to be some kind of draw to keep the module "visible" to your phone. Storage length will vary from 3 months to over a year, so just want to make sure I'm not damaging the battery during that time. Thanks

A heathy LiFePo battery stored indoors will have very little self discharge for many months stored at a 60% SOC If your overly concerned with the very tiny power draw from the BT module, simply unplug it from the BMS. ✌️

Appreciate your responses. Battery will be in my trailer in storage across town, so not that easy to get to and its strapped into a cavity under a baseboard, hence why I'm thinking the easiest is to have a switch mounted on the outside of the battery box. Then I don't need to unstrap the box to remove the cover and unplug the BMS.

Back