diy solar

diy solar

Finally Something to Show

DeniseN

After nearly nine months, I finally have something to show. I began this newbie journey thinking that my hand-truck, off-grid system would consist of a 48v all in one inverter/controller; two battle born batteries w/built in bms; a spliced extension cord for ac input/output; and 8 flexible solar panels. I had zero doubt in my ability to build the design.

It did not take long to learn that a lot more time, skill, knowledge, research, and money was going to be needed to create the safe and reliable solar generator that I had in mind. I was frustrated and overwhelmed at times, but never defeated. I continued seeking understanding and guidance. My approach has been (and continues to be) to not try to comprehend the process in its entirety, but to focus on it piece by piece. I am truly grateful to those forum members who took the time to help get me to this point.

The 48v battery pack is now top balanced and assembled. The 12v stepdown portion is wired. Last night, I finally was ready to flip the first switch. I am not even going to lie; I was nervous as hell. But I can’t even explain how gratifying it was to see the lights, fan, and heater elements turn on, and to charge my cell phone with the system (feeling no warmth and smelling no smoke)!

I am now at the part where I begin seriously gathering and understanding settings for the bms and the inverter/controller. Then I will connect the MPPT and panels. Still nervous, but more excited than frustrated these days. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 48v dc.jpg
    48v dc.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 48 v dc top view.jpg
    48 v dc top view.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 12v dc on2.jpg
    12v dc on2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 81
I am now at the part where I begin seriously gathering and understanding settings for the bms and the inverter/controller. Then I will connect the MPPT and panels. Still nervous, but more excited than frustrated these days. Thanks again.

Attachments

• ac side.JPG
    ac side.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 78
  • back side.jpg
    back side.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 77
  • pv side.jpg
    pv side.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 77
What an absolute beast! Be careful moving it, that thing weighs a ton.

Nice choice of components. Looks like an awesome mobile system! Great job :D

Wow.
Those breakers look awesome!
I'm using the same shore power panel for a customer.

WOOOOW. Thanks so much. BEAST it is. The truck accommodates 700 pounds. I know that I am close to half that. At this point, I can't even tilt it alone!

Last edited:
Is the dolly EGC-bonded? What exactly is the goal? I guess no code inspector could legitimately call it a permanent installation. :)

Is the dolly EGC-bonded? What exactly is the goal? I guess no code inspector could legitimately call it a permanent installation. :)
I have not gotten to the grounding part yet, though there is an available rod if necessarly. The goal is to eventually have portable, independent power when necessary. Total novice. Taking it step by step.

Many compliments for your first project! I like the details, such as the battery compartment ventilation. Details always make a difference.
Experience also comes from mistakes so please don't be afraid of going forward.

Many compliments for your first project! I like the details, such as the battery compartment ventilation. Details always make a difference.
Experience also comes from mistakes so please don't be afraid of going forward.
Those are lovely, kind words of encouragement. Thank you so much.

Back