diy solar

diy solar

Finally, the start of my 25kw Ground Mount grid-tie system

What's left:
----------------
Phenolic and a few stickers
A couple KOs to install when they show up

Interconnection with utility company
wire clips and plug in panels to complete the series (test voltage after this is done at multiple location)
Fab up an end plate for one of my gutters
Fab up one more bracket to hold the electric rack to the detached garage. It's not really needed, but the extra stability and security will be nice.
I need to confirm one way or the other if the data managers actually have to be pulled out of the slave units or if they are ok just not being connected to the LAN.

Glue some conduit connection

Guess, I wasn't really thinking, but I have to have my electrical inspection before the interconnection happens. This is despite the fact that it still isn't connected to the solar system until the utility company does their own inspection and provides the production meter to "complete the circuit".

Last edited:
Got the panel wire clips today. I ran out and needed more to finish up the final wiring on the racking to make the connections to complete the "circuit" to the first DC disconnects out on the racking. Everything went well. All polarity was marked properly and tested out properly as well with the meter at the disconnects.

Voltages measured as follows:
710v
710v
710v
710v
712v
714v

I'd say from that there are no apparent issues. Granted this could change once current is actually flowing, but I can't know that until the very end. A good start to the finish.

I'll get those conduits glued a little and then I'll be able to call in the inspection before the weekend is over.

@pilotdrh The reason I went with fronius was 2-3 fold. They could do max 1000vDC, meaning tranmission of power would be more efficient and less "strings", they had a large inverter power cap (15kw AC output), and they are regarded as very high quality.

I really was shooting for a simplistic system that was efficiently built.

I'm basically at the max with my Deye 16, 477 Voc (max is 500). I'm splitting my 30 panels, 21 kW, into 3 strings. Since the coldest temp here is about 70 (at night in Jan) I don't have to worry about that aspect. I may experiment with splitting 1 string into half since I can parallel 2 strings into 1 input. Do a comparison of 10 panels in series vs 2 5's in parallel. My panels are shingled so I also want see how that handles any shading issues. Just something for this old man to do.

Wow. 70 at the coolest. I had to design around -20F or it could have been -25F. I can't remember now. It will be interesting to see how the shingled panels work.

@Hedges They are a "bluesun" panel. He posted the model within the last 3-5 pages. Same brand that I ended up getting, which is probably how he landed here (searching for those with experience with that brand).

What a coincidence we are both getting panels from the same vendor. The title would be even more enticing if the title could be changed to reflect "45kW" hint hint to those with powers

Wow. 70 at the coolest. I had to design around -20F or it could have been -25F. I can't remember now. It will be interesting to see how the shingled panels work.
I don't miss the cold. I was stationed in NE for 3 years. The walk in from the parking lot at the SAC command post was brutal. Made me glad I didn't work on the flightline anymore for sure.

cell arrangement looks similar to the P19. Basically nsmp, where "n" is number of cells in series and "m" is number in parallel.
Those were meant to be mounted landscape orientation on multiple rows of ground mounts.
When shade from one row lands on edge of next row, it reduces current output of that entire row uniformly, so panels strung in series work well together.
For best results, plan your shade (and series/parallel string configuration) wisely.

Electrical inspection is confirmed for this Friday. Fingers crossed any issues are minor. I'm fully not expecting to pass the first time given my experience and the size of the project.

Piece of cake baby! I was commissioning (we called it doing a startup) a new double ended utilty swbd (with 24 feeder breakers on each side) and a 3 gen swbd. This was in Weston, FL, Amex facility. The electricians told me the city electrical inspector made them remove all of the future equipment placements from the drawings. I asked them if the inspector was from NY or NJ? They said NY, had to one of those two. So a cpuple of days later they said the inspector had some questions. I was pretty busy but went in to see what he wanted. He started asking questions about how this worked and how this worked, a bunch stupid shit. I just looked at him and said I'm busy, you don't need to know any of that stuff. Your job is to ensure it's installed per code. If you're just curious come back when I have time and I'll be happy to satisfy your curiousity. Then I walked out. Never saw him again. The electrical contractor foreman told me later that he couldn't believe I told him that. I lived on Long Isand for for 2 1/2 years and don't put up with their BS.

LOL. well, sounds like you're a little more qualified than myself. I just hope whatever he may gripe about will be a somewhat easy fix and not expensive.

Back