diy solar

diy solar

Fire Alarm Suggestions

Jimmyburnworld

I'm about to build my 16S EVE 280AH LiFePo4 battery pack which will be going into a cupboard in the house. I would like to add some sort of fire detection in the cupboard.

Our current house fire alarm system has two types of detector available; 'Smoke' (optical smoke detection) and 'Heat' (for use in kitchens). Which one would be most appropriate for detecting a potential battery fire?

I suppose it comes down to whether the battery will produce a lot of smoke or a lot of heat if it burns. The smoke detector would be susceptible to dust causing false alarms if not cleaned regularly in a cupboard.

I'm about to build my 16S EVE 280AH LiFePo4 battery pack which will be going into a cupboard in the house. I would like to add some sort of fire detection in the cupboard.

Our current house fire alarm system has two types of detector available; 'Smoke' (optical smoke detection) and 'Heat' (for use in kitchens). Which one would be most appropriate for detecting a potential battery fire?

I suppose it comes down to whether the battery will produce a lot of smoke or a lot of heat if it burns. The smoke detector would be susceptible to dust causing false alarms if not cleaned regularly in a cupboard.

And what would you do if the alarm goes off? Do you have a means to extinguish a LiFePo4 fire?

Having a battery in a living space is a BIG NO and not to code.

Apologies, I forgot some key details. The cupboard in question is in a hallway separated from the living space by a 30 minute fire door with double plasterboard ceiling - essentially built to the same code as a garage inside a property. Its also close to the utility incomer and consumer unit.

And it's located in the UK.

The alarm would signal impending doom, a dire need to vacate the property and to call someone capable of fighting a battery fire.

Does anyone know of any specific UK regulations regarding battery installation locations? I don't have access to the IET Code of Practice for Energy Storage Systems. Obviously if it is not compliant with UK regulations then I'll pick a different spot on the property to install it. We don't have a garage unfortunately.

Also, I thought one of the big benefits of LiFePo4 chemistry was the improved safety over LCO, NCA or NMC chemistries?

Also, I thought one of the big benefits of LiFePo4 chemistry was the improved safety over LCO, NCA or NMC chemistries?

I am not familiar with UK guidelines / code requirements, but I would expect them to be similar to NEC that if not ETL listed would have to be external to the structure, like a shed or 5ft from any wall of the home.

Yes LiFePo4 is safer, but they are not separate rules based on chemistry, they are all treated the same for ESS system batteries.

Youtube videos or website make it seem anyone can make an ESS battery to replace the "expensive" UL9540 or similarly listed batteries, but that's not generally true. Sure, if you in an area without government oversight you could do it, doesn't mean one should.

Last edited:

I would suggest using both and a the lowest temperature heat detector possible. I used a smoke detector for years where I had wires and equipment that could not be seen or reached easily. No problem from dust. Just maintain the detector to manufacturers standards.

Back