diy solar

diy solar

FIRE! Battery Hookup SHIPMENT CAUGHT FIRE! Huh Huh FIRE!

Sun Bear

OMFG!

I finally bite the bullet and order 5.12 Kwh of Lifepo4 batteries from Battery Hook Up! Yeah! So happy happy. Delivery day is finally here and I take off work to sign for my new state of the art solar battery bank and zip, zilch, nathan, nada, nothing. Tracking changes to next day. Ok, She it happens. No sweat. Another day off Friday nada! End of day tracking says damaged and handling per shippers instructions. WHAT!!! Well turns out the package(s) caught on FIRE! Beavis n Butthead came to mind FIRE! FIRE!. Battery Hook Up I guess knew since Friday. And being Monday night no response to my 2 emails. Poor me and my we Todd did lead acid spent batteries. I want my Lifepo4s! Anyone else have their package catch on fire? Fedex lady was like, "do you know what was in the packages?" I realized that when your package catches on fire they may be suspicious of both parties. Greaaattt......

Any advise on dealing with this would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Are you sure those were really LiFePO4?

No. I know I ordered Lifepo4 batteries. But they burned up on reentry. So I have not seen them. Fedex held them. I assume they return them to Battery Burnt Up. But I only spoke to a nice English 4th language lady at Fedex that had no clue what happened to them. She could barely pronounce the word fire. And no word otherwise.

Too bad the thread wasn't named "My Battery Hook Up Shipment caught fire" and the views would have gone through the roof, comments too. It would also be something to Point BigBattery at for Prompt Answers & Fast solution or the consequences could be... A lot of their customers come from here !

Now the Real BIG Question, if LFP and an assembled pack was shipped and it caught fire during shipment... How safe & "Well built" is the stuff, REALLY ?? Seemingly NOT VERY WELL ! Whatever you do, do it "Written" by Email with Battery Hook Up so you have a "Paper Trail" to cover your own backside and to ensure they don't try to pull a fast one. LFP in NOT the dangerous chemistry like NMC and others and not subject to fire & explosion unless something Really Really Seriously Bad happened to them... People have fired 3.08's through running live packs to show these don't catch fire !

Last edited:
Too bad the thread wasn't named "My BigBattery Shipment caught fire" and the views would have gone through the roof, comments too. It would also be something to Point BigBattery at for Prompt Answers & Fast solution or the consequences could be... A lot of their customers come from here !

Now the Real BIG Question, if LFP and an assembled pack was shipped and it caught fire during shipment... How safe & "Well built" is the stuff, REALLY ?? Seemingly NOT VERY WELL ! Whatever you do, do it "Written" by Email with BigBatt so you have a "Paper Trail" to cover your own backside and to ensure they don't try to pull a fast one. LFP in NOT the dangerous chemistry like NMC and others and not subject to fire & explosion unless something Really Really Seriously Bad happened to them... People have fired 3.08's through running live packs to show these don't catch fire !
Why are you going on about Big Battery? He said Battery Hookup.

OMFG!

I finally bite the bullet and order 5.12 Kwh of Lifepo4 batteries from Battery Hook Up! Yeah! So happy happy. Delivery day is finally here and I take off work to sign for my new state of the art solar battery bank and zip, zilch, nathan, nada, nothing. Tracking changes to next day. Ok, She it happens. No sweat. Another day off Friday nada! End of day tracking says damaged and handling per shippers instructions. WHAT!!! Well turns out the package(s) caught on FIRE! Beavis n Butthead came to mind FIRE! FIRE!. Battery Hook Up I guess knew since Friday. And being Monday night no response to my 2 emails. Poor me and my we Todd did lead acid spent batteries. I want my Lifepo4s! Anyone else have their package catch on fire? Fedex lady was like, "do you know what was in the packages?" I realized that when your package catches on fire they may be suspicious of both parties. Greaaattt......

Any advise on dealing with this would be appreciated.

They sell 18650 Li-ion (meaning NMC) cells too so the real question is what did you order ?
LFP is not the burnout type battery. Not even when shorted.

Take the typical poor packing + a couple of loose buss bar parts rattling about + the usual careful handling by FedEx... Yeah I can see how even a package with LFP cells could catch fire.

If the battery shorted it could set the packaging on fire even if the cells don't burn.
Yes! A lot of people think LFP won’t catch on fire. If shorted the short itself can start a fire. I’ve heard of EVs with LFPs catching fire because the cells got punctured. The heat that comes out of punctured cells is more than enough to catch anything that will burn on fire. A lot of people have these sitting around their house land think it’s completely safe.

Yeah, they are definitely advertised as Lifepo4. I want to give Battery Back Up, aka Battery Burnt Up, a few days to react. Maybe they were crushed? Wish I knew. Maybe I will post something with their name in subject line if I can not get a response from them. I wonder what Will Prowse would think of this?

Expect the usual excuses from BHU for their non/slow responses. I had to post their poor customer service tactics on their FB page before they actually got back to me with a lame excuse for why. I just called BofA and initiated a dispute.
TADAAA BHU started steppin and fetchin at that point.
Too bad that action had to be done for them to do their job.
I will never consider them again........... ;)

We need to get a Rythm & Blues song called "I've got the Battery Blues" and it has to have that Famous Scratchy raunchy yard blues style.

Yeah, they are definitely advertised as Lifepo4. I want to give Battery Back Up, aka Battery Burnt Up, a few days to react. Maybe they were crushed? Wish I knew. Maybe I will post something with their name in subject line if I can not get a response from them. I wonder what Will Prowse would think of this?
I edited the thread title...
Good luck with your purchase!

Maybe someone else with a similar shipment from Battery Hookup can chime in with a description, possibly a photo, of how things were packed.
That heavy stuff tore loose and shorted out and igniting packaging sounds quite plausible.

I've had shipments of "other" products that were poorly packed spill contents on the floor. At work, where I received them so they wouldn't be sitting in my driveway. That caused some consternation and resulted me getting a scolding, "don't have such things sent here again", etc. (proximity in time to certain newsworthy events had people more on edge than usual.)

Back