diy solar

diy solar

Fire estinguisher for lithium

I have one of those older Halon 1211 extinguishers. It's still showing that it's in good shape. I was not aware of the decomposition.
You can find an sds on Bromochlorodifluoromethane (Halon 1211) at amerex-fire.com.
Personally I love Halon 1211, it works great.
Only use if you need to and only on equipment that is electrical equip, otherwise there are probably better options. Remember they don’t make it anymore and if you do use it it will stay in the atmosphere for thousands of years. It can be recycled but at some point will end up in the atmosphere so best to use if nothing else will do.

btw, weigh it to make sure it matches the weight on the label. The gage is not 100% reliable and halon has a high vapor pressure so the weight will tell you whether it is/has been leaking. The gage will also fluctuate with temp.

All that energy has to go somewhere. Makes me think about an metal box that could be ejected remotely is something I should build for my pickup/camper/thing. I know Tesla powerwalls have a muffler like device to deal with the venting hot gasses/fire.

Interesting read. The linked Technical Report is where the real meat and potatoes are. Battery chemistry is called Li-ion, but they are NMC I believe. Configuration was 2p14s.
Reading that is one reasons I will be putting my batteries in their own separate structure concrete structure when I get my house built. Wouldn't burn my house down but last thing one wants to wake up to if you do.

All that energy has to go somewhere. Makes me think about an metal box that could be ejected remotely is something I should build for my pickup/camper/thing. I know Tesla powerwalls have a muffler like device to deal with the venting hot gasses/fire.
Well if you want to go that far then you can say that even steel will burn. Remember 911 and the towers?
Personally I think they are safe enough to put on my mobility scooter and sit on top of them.
Mine are 280 amps as well.
So not tiny.

EDIT:
Oh yeah I almost forgot these tests also.

Last edited by a moderator:
everybody should have fire extinguishers all around there house, van,car,rv,boat,etc.
in my small garage there are two, a 10 pounder and a little 2-1/2 pounder. varied chem's and gasoline-two motor bikes).
one in the laundry room (also for the kitchen) and one 2-1/2 pounders in each bed room, (second bed room houses a computer and reloading supplys, so i should get another couple? 5 pounders for this room). and a five pounder in my pu.
if/when i can do a battery bank shed, there will be at least two five pounders.. maybe a fixed system using a 20 pound supply, or a water/foam sprinkler system?
the area i live in has a bad fire problm so trying to get control early can save a town.

LifeP04 by nature won't let hold of oxygen atoms, one of the ingredients of fire. Specifically it's the iron phosphate. Iron wont let oxygen go free.

Consider that the only safe motorcycle starting battery that is lithium is also LiFeP04. Shorai, Anti-Gravity, Earth-X are some well known brands. And once installed, are inches away from well, you know. :)

What we witness most is electrolyte boiling off due to heat, but pesky iron phospate won't release oxygen. But yes, the heat produced can allow other infrastructure to fail. Engineer wisely.

So in some cases, like A123 cells, which are highly popular targets of counterfeiting, and like buying cut-down drugs, you may be getting more than you think inside from the fakes, subjecting you to mixtures that the oem never intended to be included in their cells - and of course reduction in safety.

Back