diy solar

diy solar

Fire estinguisher for lithium

Pizzocchero

Hi guys
Does anyone knows what type of
Fire estinguisher Is suitable in case
Of burnig of lifepo4 cells?

As far as I know they don't burn. But flammable items around them might catch on fire if they get hot or shorted.
I bought a regular ABC household fire extinguisher. I've bought them before but never had a reason to use one.

It likely won't be water or water based. Water + lithium cells on fire = hydrofluoric acid. Burning lifepo4 cells emit hydrogen fluoride gas so you don't want to breath that either. Dry powder or CO2 is likely the options but this is only my opinion.

lifepo4 doesn't tend to burst into flames itself but what if there is a surrounding fire?

For ANY electrical room use Class-C Fire extinguishers or "ABC Dry"
FE rating - C

“C” ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT

Fire extinguishers with a Class C rating are suitable for fires in “live” electrical equipment. Both monoammonium phosphate and sodium bicarbonate are commonly used to fight this type of fire because of their nonconductive properties.

Dangerous vs. Safe batteries, Explosion and fire test! - YouTube

Last edited:
Thank you.
my concern Is to use something that
can react bad whith those chemistry
I suggest you watch the video above.
LFP (LifePo4) does NOT Catch fire, explode or such things.
My suggestion above for Class-C or ABC Dry applies to any electrical fire and is always good to have in the "Power Room" . You never want to use it but that One occasion you need it, you want it there.

Can you cite the chemistry or a link conforming that LiFePo4 batteries burn and when burning emit hydrofluoric acid or any hydrofluoric gases?

Whom are you asking for?
I don't know what happens to a lifepo4
battery pack in case of Fire... I Will follow
the Steve_S suggestion (thanks) and i'll
buy a classe ABC 2kg dry Fire estinguisher

Can you cite the chemistry or a link conforming that LiFePo4 batteries burn and when burning emit hydrofluoric acid or any hydrofluoric gases?

Google the MSDS for lifepo4 batteries. Heaps of information there. I could only post a link that confirms it, it's not within my powers to make them conform. ;)

Please do understand that I'm not saying lifepo4 cells have a habit of bursting into flames like other lithium chemistries but if we are talking about things being on fire you can not glibly write off the fact if you toss a lifepo4 cell into a fire it will burn.

In case of fire? Run!
Because you have followed all the safety protocols for the storage and use of lithium based batteries and they will only extinguish themselves in that fire proof container isolated from anything else by that barrier with a appropriate fire safe rating......

Edit- Unlike other electrical fires water may be better than dry chemical because of the self contained heat generation within the lithium fire itself.
Water will lower the temp - the dry chemical may not?
Needs further research,

Last edited:
I'll toss in here as it seems everyone skipped on by it.
Sure, anything & everything creates toxic gases / fumes when it burns... DOH !
The crap in your house, Furniture, foams, plastics, materials, carpets etc... creates far more toxic smoke that will knock you out in mere seconds & kill you fast if there is a fire than anything coming from a battery pack. Ask ANY fireman about how toxic house fires are. I, unfortunately, inhaled such toxic smoke in a fire for about 1.5 minutes before being dragged out, my lungs never recovered !, I survived not everyone did.

Lithium Cells such as LiPo, MNC, NCA (NOT LFP) can catch fire, explode and cause thermal runaway situations and therefore they are "Packaged" accordingly in commercial packs. They are also NOT to be installed within the Residential Areas because of that fact. LFP on the other hand does not do such things and many places allow them to be installed inside (with provisions for safety).

Who would have thought that burning things can produce toxic smoke. It's quite fortunate that someone bought up just this point should a lifepo4 cell be burnt because it's on the record that they will produce quite toxic stuff should that happen in, oh, I dunno, a house fire.

It's bad enough that one gets to enjoy all the delights of hydrogen cyanide from polystryrenes burning, one also gets the absolutely fabulous experience of breathing in hydrogen fluoride, having that turn to acid in their lungs, and all the 'health' benefits that brings too!

So yeah, they do burn. Given this thread is about what extinguisher to use on them it's a valid point to raise.

Oh dear, my DIY solar installation is on fire... now what do I do about those lifepo4 cells, right next to the fire...

Last edited:
Lifepo will not catch fire in and of itself even when short circuited, shot with bullets, heated in an oven, overcharged and other things.
OTHER forms of lithium batteries however do catch fire in and of themselves.

Ok.
Thanks for explanations.
At the end Is It possible to place
Lifepo4 DIY battery pack under passenger seat on RV whithout any concernes about Fire?
Type ABC dry Fire estinguisher di work
fine also if the Fire Is whithin this battery?

Ok.
Thanks for explanations.
At the end Is It possible to place
Lifepo4 DIY battery pack under passenger seat on RV whithout any concernes about Fire?
Type ABC dry Fire estinguisher di work
fine also if the Fire Is whithin this battery?
lifepo4 is fine inside living spaces including rv's because its very safe. its other lithium chemistries that are prone to causing chemical fires if treated badly

Just make sure that the terminals are solid, as in they won't be ripped off by sudden movements.
While Lifepo won't explode. If it breaks, it will stink super badly. :)

I have a halotron1 badger extingusher for sensitive electrical equipment.

Back