I already have some connected via z-wave to my burglar alarm. I would recommend it as you do, our garage already had a trash can fire a decade or so ago, but I replaced all of the 25 year old smoke detectors about 2 years ago.I'm still putting up the smoke detectors
Yes, just as an FYI, the Ring burglar alarm system uses z-wave for the wireless contacts, and integrates quite well with the smoke detectors.
The temperature sensor was/is for the fan controller of the inverter.I'm still thinking the temperature sensor for the fans. It was discounted quickly. The sensor had a battery lug for mounting. I would think that would be positive It could have been pinched between the wood and the the post. I would guess that post is about 9 to 12V negative potential from the more positive fan lug. Just a small pinch would be enough. You don't need the spark to carry enough heat to melt the battery. It just needs some glowing embers on the wood.
The fans were running. This could have been the perfect fire starter with a 9V battery. Only the owner could know where the wire was, how the fans could have drawn the fire/flame. Maybe there's pictures during the disassembly. We are asking a lot for him to remember where the wires were, how the smoke was billowing up past the wood, His house was on fire. I can't even remember where I put my multimeter 15 minutes ago.
The ammeter was in the solar line, nothing to do with the battery.Usually, the very last thing that's been modified has a connection to the fault. An amp meter was added and immediately a short occurred when connecting 12V to meter. Did the short cause wire insulation damage?
Local availability here is 0.I use 22awg silicon insulated tin cable. It self fuses at 10amps and the insulation doesn’t melt. Perfect for BMS sensing wires.
While yet again a larger investment, I think it's cheap, for what it does and how it protects.
I thought my short was bad.