diy solar

diy solar

Fire suppression

C CRYSTAL LEMON Fire Blanket Kitchen, Fire Blanket Fire Suppression Blanket, Fire Blanket Emergency, Emergency Survival Safety Cover for Kitchen, Fiberglass Blanket 39x39 inches https://a.co/d/f7zjItN

We have these located throughout our home. Seems like a reasonable stop gap to get the FD there in time.
We have a couple as well, along with fire gloves and a bunch of regular extinguishers. Not sure how close I would want to get to a battery fire though to use the blanket.

The fire blankets work by smothering the fire, preventing it from getting oxygen.

At what temperature would the fiberglass blanket simply catch on fire/melt when it can't actually extinguish lithium based battery fire?

The fire blankets work by smothering the fire, preventing it from getting oxygen.
That makes them great for kitchen fires. Some of the Lithium chemistries actually give off oxygen when they get hot, which is why they are hard to extinguish. Cooling them with lots of water is what is recommended.
One of the reasons LFP is safer is because it does not have that reaction.

"After initial investigation in 2013, and later in 2014, the Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority issued a statement that fire blankets should never be used to extinguish an oil/fat fire such as a chip pan fire, even if the icons or text on the blanket indicates the blanket may be used in such a case."

Probably fine with a little bit of oil, just not enough to saturate the blanket.
Fire blankets are something I've never learned about.

Were the Netherland tests conducted on wool with chemicals, or fiberglass, or both?

Reasons why we put our BTRPower batteries in the outhouse. Just get to figure out how to warm them before winter*

Interesting. I have a fire blanket in my kitchen and an oil fire is it's primary use case.

I have extinguished a well established "chip pan" fire. I started it. I put it out. I left my dinner in the chip pan on medium and went to watch TV. Some time later I seen what I immediately thought was steam from my dinner I put out..... oh... sh... I haven't put it out yet!

Bolted out of the seat and opened the kitchen door. The lights were out but the room was well lit up from the 6 foot flames rising out of the chip pan and across the ceiling. Room filled with arid black oil smoke. For some reason in these emergency situations I just go dead cold calm and act. I pulled the drawer containing the kitchen towels open, pulled the whole lot out, threw them in the sink, soaked them and then wrapping my hands in them I carefully set one across the top of the pan. That got rid of most of the flames, could still see fire under the towel and a cute little "blow off burner" at the end of the handle.

My brother, not being so calm and clear headed, burst into the kitchen coughed in the smoke and paniced, ran to the back door and opened it.

My little cute "blow off burner" and the flames under the towel eruppted through the towel and back into a blast of flames, nearly removing all of my hair, with a cry of "CLOSE THE DOOR YOU f*****ing IDIOT!!!" I dropped another towel over the top, then another and another until the room went black and dark. After spending the next 20 minutes trying not to punch my brother, and he would have deserved it, I carried the blackeded pan outside and assessed the damage.

I was just in time. All the plastic knobs and dials on the oven "eye level" control box where... gone, melted. The ceiling above the cooker was black and the paint was bubbled and blistered.

I figure another 3 or 4 minutes and the fire would have found a way through that cieling and... that would have been abandon home and call 112/999.

So wet cotton towels worked, in a pinch. I was hoping a fire blanket would be a better idea, however I still might soak it first, at least it protects my hands so I can place the blanket accurately and not have to throw it over.

Also on fire supression topics. The area in my garage (out building) where I have my solar setup and batteries ... the wall and floor are coated in white powder from the last owner. If you try and brush it off it creates clouds of grey/white dust.

I have come to the opinion that is the result of a fire being put out there in the past with dry powder.

I just hope it' s not a cursed place or an omen!

In other fires in my life. When I was 6 the valve on a gas heater failed after install. It leaked half a bottle of propane into the house overnight. My mum let me light the heater that morning, but it wouldn't light for me. My mum tried. In a loud WHOMP! my mum disappeared in a cloud of flames. The heater had lit and ignited all the gas sitting on the floor which immediately sucked it all into a fireball with my mum at the centre.

"GET THE F..... OUT NOW!", I had never heard my mum be so angry, so I ran.

The leaky seal in the gas bottle was exactly where the fireball sout out and is rapidly calmed down to just a single 6 foot jet of yellow propane flame.

While I watched through the window my mom piled basket after basket of wet washing on the top of it. She stood and fought that fire for an hour until the fire brigade arrived. She had basically been cycling washing loads, pulling them off when they started steaming or ignited and adding more wet loads.

The fire folks, told everyone to get out. They used a 10 foot pole to fire pull the sofa out as it was about to go up from teh heat and then they pulled the whole gas fire out with a longer pole. Dragged it into the middle of teh garden, still spraying flames and buried it in a pile of foam.

The fire chief (has to be present for injury and insurance), shock her hand, told her she saved the house and then told her to NEVER EVER fight a gas cylinder fire. At anytime it could have overheated, cracked and exploded.

Back