diy solar

diy solar

First Build #Budget/Craigslist - Compatibly Questions

Justic

Hi, So I'm making a budget setup with what I have already (the two batteries below) and what can be sourced from craigslist deals (325w Solar Panel for $100) and amazon. I have come up with the following build for around $300

Craigslist Solar Panel $100 - CANADIAN SOLAR TYPE: CS6U-325P
Craigslist Batteries $30 - Two Diehard Advanced Gold AGM 20Hr 92AH
Amazon PWM Charge Controller $30 - Renogy Wanderer Li 30A 12V PWM Negative Ground Charge Controller
Amazon Inverter $85 - KRIËGER 1100 Watt 12V Power Inverter Dual 110V AC Outlets
Amazon Solar Panel to Controller Cable $20 - Renogy 10Ft 10 AWG
Amazon Controller to Battery Cable $13 - RENOGY 8ft. 10 AWG Wire

I'm wondering if I'm missing anything and if the solar panel listed will work with the Charge Controller I have listed. I plan on either using one battery or putting the two in parallel. This is my first build and is only going to be used for charging my power tools batteries/cell phone/and a few LED light builds. I may use it for other low power fun stuff but this is mostly just to get my hands dirty and build something simple and under budget.

Side Question - Also I bought these two batteries for $30 the guy sold them to me at core cost. He pulled them from his working van and had them a few years, just doing some preventive maintenance. I got them home and got a 12v reading from them and hooked each one up to my auto trickle charger. Is there any test I can do to see how much life I could expect from these?

Last edited:
if the solar panel listed will work with the Charge Controller I have listed.

Swap out that PWM charge controller for an MPPT!

1) That PWM has a max input voltage of 25V. Your panel Voc is WAY above that so you'd smoke the controller.
2) If you found a PWM that could take that high input voltage you'd waste most of that panel's power because the PWM controllers pull the panel voltage down close to battery voltage.

There are some budget options out there for 30A MPPT SCCs that should come in at $100 or less (Epever, MakeSkyBlue). Shop around and find what fits your budget.

The Inverter is a Modified Sine Wave as opposed to a Pure Sine Wave. Not that it's a bad choice, but You should know the difference between the two (if You don't already). Another suggestion, is to find all the specs for all the components and then put them here. Building a system, in part is making sure the components are compatible, and the pros here might have some advice after looking at the specs. Just my two cents worth.

Side Question - Also I bought these two batteries for $30 the guy sold them to me at core cost. He pulled them from his working van and had them a few years, just doing some preventive maintenance. I got them home and got a 12v reading from them and hooked each one up to my auto trickle charger. Is there any test I can do to see how much life I could expect from these?
Let us know what the voltage of those batteries are after being fully charged and disconnected from the charger for many hours (ex: disconnect at night, check it in the morning). If the resting voltage is down at 12.0V they're pretty much spent already. You want to see something around 12.7V.

One place you could save a few dollars is the wiring? I wouldn't buy a dedicated "charge controller" wire. Just go to Home Depot and buy the length of the same specification wire by the foot. Check to see if they have any 10 gauge left-overs. On one of my wire trips, I get a 4 gauge remnant for next to nothing. You could get a roll of red colored electrical tape so you could differentiate ±. I myself though would never buy someone else's used batteries. They're likely to be mostly worn out.

How do you guys feel about this kit from amazon $180 Renogy 100 Watts 12 Volts Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit

- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFCNFRM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
doesnt look bad. and it has all what you basicly need. its not the cheapest but if you dont want the hassle to look for an good combination then i would say its fine. and its an pwm which is fine at this power level. Since. 30%@100w=30W less than mppt and at 1kw its 300w! so its better spent buying another solar panel with it. instead of the mppt kit. (240$) and with the battery's its always an gamble but its worth an try for 30$ if he didnt cycle it at all in the van than there is an big chance that they are still in pretty good shape. (when kept at the right voltage)

Ok been messing around and trickled charged the batteries. I currently have the two setup in parallel. I hooked up the inverter and showed `12.6-12.7 volts. I have been running a few led lights, an electric air compressor, my battery charger for power tools. I also ran a weed wacker and a mini rototiller that pulls about 4-5 amps. Everything has been running fine and I'm currently sitting around 12.4v. Only time I had an issue when running a small a/c worked fine until the compressor turned on and that ran for about a minute before getting a warning. I also try to charge my laptop but the power brick/charger was making a sound I never heard and I disconnected it. I think I'm going to return the modified inverter and get a pure sine wave inverter instead. I'm thinking something above 1000w. I have used about .17 KWh so far according to my Power Energy Usage Meter. I plan on running the power bank until I reach about 12.1v-12.2v.

Ok been messing around and trickled charged the batteries. I currently have the two setup in parallel. I hooked up the inverter and showed `12.6-12.7 volts. I have been running a few led lights, an electric air compressor, my battery charger for power tools. I also ran a weed wacker and a mini rototiller that pulls about 4-5 amps. Everything has been running fine and I'm currently sitting around 12.4v. Only time I had an issue when running a small a/c worked fine until the compressor turned on and that ran for about a minute before getting a warning. I also try to charge my laptop but the power brick/charger was making a sound I never heard and I disconnected it. I think I'm going to return the modified inverter and get a pure sine wave inverter instead. I'm thinking something above 1000w. I have used about .17 KWh so far according to my Power Energy Usage Meter. I plan on running the power bank until I reach about 12.1v-12.2v.
Normal.cutoff limit is at 11.6v so you could go a bit lower. And if you have the power meter than just hook up an light load and just let it run then. Ya will see how much there is in there.

High loads will lead to lower Ah ratings when doing an capacity test.

Good progress. Sounds like the batteries have some life left in them. I highly suggest you have a look at some of Will's blueprints, like The Minimalist or The Classic 400W, and start thinking about fuses/breakers for your system. Don't skip or skimp on safety.

And there is such a thing as a battery load tester to check the batteries:

Many auto shops will do it for free.

Back