diy solar

diy solar

First build, some nudging in the right direction would be a relief ?

OK, I’d be prepared to get 20 of those panels.

Then say I go ahead and order this.

From my nominal understanding, that would give me two strings.

What other supplies would I need to order to get this off the ground. If you don’t mind, I don’t quite see magnetic fields yet like Nikola and you fellas..working on it! I’m more hands on learner, just don’t want to blow anything up or myself..

Inverter model SB6.0-1SP-US-40 is pretty new, but may or may not implement all UL-1741-SA functions required by some jurisdictions.
If you will be getting a permit (and if you're spending close to the price of the "-41" model), make sure you know the requirements and yours complies with it.

If a bootleg system, or maybe if only UL-1741 not UL-1741-SA is require, and older model might be available costing half as much.

PV panels need to be UL listed for permitted systems. Second-hand would be OK, but not labels removed.

Are the panels going on a roof? If so, codes may require GFCI (included is newer inverters but not some older models.)
"Rapid Shutdown" add-on box per panel may be required. Walkways on roof and space to hack vent holes for fire fighting may be required.

The newer model inverters are transformerless, and PV panels at positive end of string are hundreds of volts above ground, at negative end hundreds of volts below ground. This voltage bias between PC cell and frame (and any wet dust over glass) causes "PID", Potential Induced Degradation. Some model panels are more susceptible than others. With a transformer-type inverter we can eliminate PID by negative or positive grounding depending on PV cell type. Transformerless means half the panels are biased the "wrong" polarity and some degradation occurs. Make sure your model panel has been tested and shown to be "PID free" which means acceptably low degradation rate.

Not much more needed than inverter, panels, and mounting feet or rails (unless you need RSD Rapid Shutdown). An MC cable cut in half makes pigtails to connect PV string to inverter. Conduit and hook-up wire as needed. Suitable AC breaker in last slot of breaker panel (far end away from main breaker.)

Most breaker panels have main breaker rated same as busbar - 100A or 200A. PV breaker is only allowed to be 20% of that, 20A breaker in 100A panel or 40A breaker in 200A panel. If busbar rated higher you can do more. Alternatives include "line side tap" connected between meter and main breaker.

Some utilities want a visible-blade knife switch to disconnect inverter.

Surge Arrestors (see with Midnight offers) for lightning protection.

Back