diy solar

diy solar

First home solar setup - do I have everything I need?

Edi57

Hi all,

I had the opportunity to get some brand new Trina solar panels for a great price, so it led me down the path of a solar setup for my home.

I originally planned to not have a battery and use only a grid tied inverter with limiter (I have a smart meter and do not want to export to grid). However, I’ve now decided that I want a battery system too.

Here’s what I have so far:
- 8x Trinasolar TSM-270PD05 panels (270W each)
- 2000W Solar Grid Tie Inverter with Power Limiter Sensor DC45-90V to AC190-260V
- 2x Victron Energy MPPT 100/20 48V Smart Solar charge controllers - SCC110020160R

Here’s what I’m planning to buy:
- 1x PylonTech US3000C 3.5kWh Solar PV Lithium Battery LiFePo4 New C-series

My panels are paired up, so I have four pairs. One pair is likely to be shaded for much of the day during the winter months. Therefore, I decided to buy two charge controllers. One for the pair of panels which are going to be shaded during winter, then another for the rest.

With the exception of some DC breakers, do I have everything that I need?

I’d really appreciate any comments if there’s anything else that I need to be aware of or to consider.

Thanks in advance!

Ed

My panels are paired up, so I have four pairs.
What is the Voc of your panels?
One for the pair of panels which are going to be shaded during winter, then another for the rest.
So you will run 2S for one SCC and 2S3P for the other?

If you ran 2S2P to each SCC, the 2 in shade would behave the same but you'd spread out the other 6 across 2 SCCs.

(6 x 270W) / 51V = 31A which will be limited to 20A by a single SCC.

What is the Voc of your panels?

So you will run 2S for one SCC and 2S3P for the other?

If you ran 2S2P to each SCC, the 2 in shade would behave the same but you'd spread out the other 6 across 2 SCCs.

(6 x 270W) / 51V = 31A which will be limited to 20A by a single SCC.

The Voc of each panel is 37.9v

2F242DDE-7CDA-455A-B5E6-656976EE7D56.jpeg

Yes, I was planning to run 2S to one SCC and 2S3P to the other to deal with the shading issue. However, it sounds like you’re suggesting that the shaded 2S is fine as long as it’s put in parallel with any of my other pairs? If so, I’ll do as you’ve suggested to spread them evenly across the SCCs.

Thank you for the info so far.

Ed

Back