diy solar

diy solar

First RV battery build

MarkF

Just finished my first battery build for a narrow compartment in my TAB 320 teardrop trailer. I used soft neoprene from McMaster between the cells and galco grounding straps in place of solid bus bars to eliminate any possible terminal stress. It’s made with 272ah cells and an overkill BMS. Mounting brackets from overkill would have saved me a bunch of time trying to figure out how to mount it! BTW, I’m not running a inverter, just 12v fridge, fan, lights and a 12v circulating pump for heat this winter.

I was a bit disappointed with the iPhone app after seeing the slick Android graphics in Will’s video. I downloaded the BMS parameters and only changed the two capacity parameters. I think that’s all I need to do, right?

I really appreciate all of the information on this forum and the helpful comments on some of my earlier posts. I became a member last December and have certainly learned a lot!

91E4D668-FF43-4441-B1C9-9585F85CE4EE.jpeg0E16950A-72B6-4487-BB42-F4A5B8563882.jpeg8178914C-4766-4317-BE97-057AFB4A5D2C.jpeg

For the grounding straps, did you manufacture those yourself? Also, how many amps are those grounding straps rated to?

I've seen grounding straps being used before on batteries, but with the high voltage amperage equipment I used to work on, this was never used as a primary wire. If was getting electrocuted, there was always a cane nearby with a grounding strap.

For the grounding straps, did you manufacture those yourself? Also, how many amps are those grounding straps rated to?

I've seen grounding straps being used before on batteries, but with the high voltage amperage equipment I used to work on, this was never used as a primary wire. If was getting electrocuted, there was always a cane nearby with a grounding strap.
They are rated for 120amps

. I used soft neoprene from McMaster between the cells and galco grounding straps in place of solid bus bars to eliminate any possible terminal stress. It’s made with 272ah cells and an overkill BMS. Mounting brackets from overkill would have saved me a bunch of time trying to figure out how to mount it!
Just in case anyone else is scratching their head. To mount the BMS we just used screws that fit into the holes already on the JBD BMS, even left a little gap for air. Pretty easy, can't remember what size?

Looks really good!
I’ve got 4 280A/hr Eve cells for my camper. That arrangement may work better than 4 cells side by side.
Thank you.

Back